How can I use kelp taken from my local beach ?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ganjagroman, Sep 27, 2013.

1. I posted a thread on this subject a while back...somewhere around here. I take brown kelp whenever I'm at the beach in San Diego. I don't usually have to go far out to get it since it can be found floating most of the time. Just make sure it's not old and nasty. I take the blades off the gas bladders and cram a 5 gallon bucket full and bring it back with me to Arizona.

As was already stated, wash it and then wash it again. ...then wash it again. Keep doing this until you notice the foam in the wash to be alot less (you'll never get it out completely as far as I can tell). Mine gets dried on a rack. IME, brown kelp won't take long to dry out and ends up almost a black color with the consistency of thin paper when done. Crumble it and use as you would other kelp.

2. So in response to a few of you, particularly J, who suggested I rinse and dry it outside which is actually what I did. I brought it home hosed it off and left in on the grass until the sun dried it. I then cut it into strips and threw it in my compost bin. This is not a method I will try again as there were a total of at least 100 flies born in my compost bin once I dried the kelp outside. It was probably closer to a few hundred but I killed at least that many inside my apt. Either way the flies will stick around wherever they are born right ? I mean I have a porch/ patio on a second floor and the front grass area of my apartment complex and that's all. Has no one else used fresh kelp or does no one else encounter this problem ?

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

3. Lavender tea to kill the fly eggs.... I posted about it earlier in this thread.....

4. no he means burn it and break it down that way, instead of composting, but it'll just screw with the pH of your soil drastically.

5. As I said above....wash, wash, wash as many times as it takes. It will still be slimy and it will still attract flies unless you do it in an enclosed area....however, it will dry quickly and the flies will go away when that happens. I grind mine up or throw it in my compost or whatever.

Biggest PITA for me is the wash, wash, wash....