How can I use kelp taken from my local beach ?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ganjagroman, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Can some of you organic gardeners get a topic going, I'd like to see some info on Kelp, different types of seaweed etc. In this way some new blades on here can take advantage of resources close by. I want to use seaweed and or kelp in my compost bin but don't know anything about kelp. Can you put it straight into the bin ?

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

2. #2 jerry111165, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
    There are three basic types of seaweed -reds, browns and greens. In my very limited knowledge about them the brown seaweed (algae?) is supposed to be a better one, of which kelp (Ascophylum Nodosum/cold water Atlantic kelp) is a member.

All seaweeds are beneficial in the garden/compost heap.

Rinse, dry, chop or just rinse and compost. I vote with a big yes - providing you're not taking it from the Joisey Shore or Hong Kong Harbor or the NYC docks...

http://m.wikihow.com/Use-Seaweed-in-the-Garden

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaweed

http://ventnorpermaculture.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/using-seaweed-in-the-garden/
    J

3. i concur, rinse and clean thoroughly. Kelp absorbs most every mineral from the ocean except for salt. you could compost it, or just sun-dry it.... just rinse off the salt real good... probably rinse it twice.

4. Lol ok kool got it rinse and rinse. Awesome ! I'm getting mine from the Monterey peninsula in Cali ;) how much should I add ?

5. get as much as you can carry....compost it..... amend it into your soil....... topdress with it.... make teas.... its invaluable.....

6. Near Lovers Point?

7. Not exactly there I believe its protected. But in the general area about 15 min from there

8. Hey guys I started this post way back when but im adding to it because I did what everyone said, I rinsed off the salt ...and sun dried it...but there must have been hella fly eggs on the kelp because as the seaweed broke down flies hatched and my apt looked like a horror film... Disgusting waking up and finding 15 new full size house flies on my cieling. I would like to try again but how can I avoid this problem?

9. #10 Gandalf_the_Green, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014

I guess drying/composting it outdoors is not an option?  I don't have any experience with killing fly eggs off kelp.... but I can give you some ideas......

First thing I would try....... when you are rinsing off the salt, I'll assume you're getting a tub of water together and putting the kelp in and agitating it?  Or are you hosing it down?  Maybe try making a lavender tea.... bubbling lavender flowers (preferably Spike lavender) in water for 36 hours.... then put the lavender tea in the bathtub (or Chapin sprayer)... it contains powerful pesticidal compounds, primarily linalool and camphor.  This is sometimes used in organic gardening to fight spider mite infestations..... it can literally make mite eggs explode.... and I know linalool as an extract is used to kill fruit flies.....  I'd say it's worth a try with the fly eggs.....

You could bake the kelp in the oven for a short while, but besides the strong odor, the heat would probably denature some of the beneficial compounds we are trying to preserve in the kelp.  That's also why making an FPE (fermented plant extract) wouldn't be the best route..... 

I'll think on this some more.....

10. Thanks I appreciate it... I guess a simpler option someone else had mentioned to me in person was to actually take kelp from the ocean itself. But im not sure how other locals and the state park rangers would feel about that haha... Taking from the beach seems like the more "eco friendly" idea since it is already decomposing, but I just can't go through that with the flies again..

11. I'd just give it a rinse and then let it dry outside in the sun.

Done.

J

12. check local fish and game regulations to avoid potential hassles with johnny-law

13. After rinsing and drying can you use it as a top soil immediately?

Plissken

That^^^

With Outside being the operative word.

Wet

15. Very cool

Plissken

16. King of NY; A#1

'Sup Snake.

J

17. Just an idea but you could always ash the kelp hence skipping the a lengthy drying and fly period and just use it as a slow release soil additive. 

18. "could always ash the kelp"

What do you mean by "ash the kelp"?

J

19. i think he means he smokin kelp, had to ash it out the window...