White Widow x Big Bud 400w First Timer

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by 06yamahar1, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Whats up everyone! Big shout out to the GC community!! Sooooo this is my first grow all on my own, i was helping out with a grow last year which turned out pretty decent, coulda been a little better but hey it was a learning experience and it was a lot of fun. But this time this grow is all me. And should be a little better considering i ditched the Quantum T5 bad boy for a 400w mh/hps.

Heres a little rundown on what im using for this one

400w mh/hps in a cool tube with wings
    Miracle grow (this is where i get flamed) organic soil
    Fox Farm trio
    3 gallon smart pot for the main plant, and i have 2 clones in smaller plasic pots

At this point in time i actually just went 12/12, so im starting this journal in the middle, but ill upload some pictures from earlier if anyones interested. Shes been in the dirt since 5/15/13 vegging, at for about a month or so she didnt get any growth because i was royally screwing up the nutes...like i said...this is my first time all on my own.

heres a pic of her a few weeks ago after i finally got the nutes squared away, you can still see a little yellow on the lower leaves there
    1.jpg

and heres one a little more recent, probably around 3 weeks ago, shes a lot bigger now
    123.jpg

and heres some that i took a few days ago (obviously before i switched the bulbs)
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

ill take some more in the next few days so you guys can keep up with me here. but before i end this post id like to say that everyone FEEL FREE to give me help, tips, pointers etc. like i said this is my first time and i could use all the help and guidance you guys can come up with, so dont be shy! chime in! thanks for taking the time to look at my journal!

2. I forgot to post a pic of this, ive never used an HID before, has anyone encountered this before?
    bulb.jpg
    the bulb got so hot it started to melt i think...is that bad? Is my ballast messed up?
    any info would be very much appreciated

3. just cleaned the area up a little to make a little floor space, this is how she sits as of 5 minutes ago
    2.jpg

4. Hey man, I'm a semi first timer as well. I can't say that I can help much, but I had a question for you. The cooling tube that you have for your hm light. . . Does it cool itself, or is it set so you can hook it up to a venting system? I was thinking about using one myself, but didn't know how it worked.

5. im not quite sure if my set up is the most efficient, but you can kinda tell how it works in that last pic, i have the carbon filter in the tent, running to one end of the tube, then on the other end it runs to a fan, and from there it goes out of the tent. but like i said im not quite sure if its the best way to set it up but ill tell you what, i can have my hand directly on the outside of the tube at the bottom and it never gets hot enough that i need to take my hand off....so i guess thats decent? ill get another pic when the light goes on today

6. looking good mate, i'm subbed 

7. So far so good, hombre. Keep it up!

8. #9 06yamahar1, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
    thanks you guys! last night before the lights went out i noticed some small yellow spots on some random leaves, i know its hard to judge without getting a picture...but do you guys think it could be too much nutes? anyone else use the fox farm trio? if so could you post up how much you use? im using exactly what it says on the bottles, but maybe thats too much...or not enough...hmmmm

ill get some pictures later on tonight, im about to leave for work and the light is off, so ill come home on my lunch break and give you guys an update

9. thanks man! i appreciate that! i was doing full power during veg and she was doing GREAT, no yellow anywhere, but i stopped using the grow big and replaced it with the tiger bloom, it says 2-3 tsp per gallon, so i should do 1.5-2? should i leave the big bloom at the same as what i have been? or back off on that too, im using full strength on that one just like i have been which is 4 tablespoons

10. 3.3.jpg
    thats what one of them looks like, any ideas?

11. ive also been tossing around the idea of possibly making an over/under type thing. have an enclosed spot on the bottom for a mother and have the hps up top flowering clones, couldnt be too hard right? this tent is 7 feet tall

12. the good news is that it doesn't look too bad, i'm guessing by the looks of it that you've got a tiny bit of nutrient burn but as i'm quite new to growing myself i'm not 100%. post your picture in the problems part hopefully someone with more experience knows. 

i was going to try the same thing myself so i could get a harvest every month or so but as iv'e only a got 1m x 1m x 2m tent id have issues with heat so my plan is to have my 1m x 1m x 2m tent for flowering and get another tent for veg and clones.

13. i came up with the same conclusion based on the link you gave me, i think im going to back off to half of whats recommended, and go from there, at least on the tiger bloom. that stuff is a lot more potent than the big bloom so it might be causing a bad reaction or something to the switch of light and nutes all at once. at this point im  3 full days of 12/12 and new nutes so im going to back off and see what happens.(could be way off on that, its just a guess)

you think a good flush would be smart soon? then start all over? what is the best way to stop the nute burn?

14. it doesn't look that bad compared to others iv's seen, i'd just give her plain water for the next feed see how she is after that then if she's better build the nutes back up like 1/4 dose then 1/2 dose and stay at about half until she looks like she needs more.

15. alright, ill give that a shot and see how it goes, thanks for all your help

16. heres a little update, cut about half a plastic shopping bags worth of useless leaves off so i could get some sort of an idea what was going on in the middle of the plant...man...i stopped counting at around 30 bud sites :) lemme know what you guys think, did i cut too much?

33.jpg
    34.jpg

and heres a shot of the two clones, the one in the back seems to be doing pretty well

35.jpg

17. hey mate have they fully recovered they look great

18. yeah, i think they pulled through after 2 days of straight water, backed off to half strength nutes, ill keep you posted with pics. i really appreciate the help :)