Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Frog gets launched by NASA

• Please log in to reply

nittyb

nittyb

You know I got it

• Registered Upgraded
  • 514 posts

pd_nasa_frog_kb_130912_16x9_992.jpg

NASA's unmanned LADEE rocket headed to the moon with an unexpected passenger, a small frog which was caught on camera launching into the air from its home in the marshy wetlands surrounding the Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia.

One of three still-cameras setup around the launch site, triggered by sound, caught the small frog in the air. The frog is hard to miss in the photo with its arms and legs spread wide surrounded by debris from the wetlands, also lifted up by the power of the rocket's engines. The photo was posted to NASA's Instagram account.

"We got back to the office after the launch at 12:30 a.m. and we're all pretty amused and amazed," Chris Perry told ABCNews.com. "It was also sad to see a frog go like that. As much fire as that rocket is putting out, I have to imagine it got injured."

Perry had set up three cameras to cover the launch and the power of the engine knocked over his tripod 150 feet away. The camera that captured the photo shoots approximately six frames per second and Perry says the frog only showed up in one of the photos.

"There's debris in the other photos, but no frogs. He was probably moving pretty quickly," said Perry.

"I'm guessing it was about 150 feet away from the Minotaur rocket, give or take a few," said Perry. "Lots of flies out there that evening, so I'm sure our frog (or toad) had a nice feast."

Keith Koehler at the Wallops Flight Facility tells ABC News that hundreds of frogs live in the acres of marsh lands surrounding the launch pad. NASA says they do everything possible to protect the wildlife living in the area.

"We've never seen this at Wallops before. I've been here 30 years," said Koehler.

The rocket is carrying the NASA Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) for a 100-day mission circling the moon. The purpose of the mission is to gather measurements and explore the moon's atmosphere, sending information back to the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

NASA employees based at the Wallops facility say they haven't located the "famous" frog, but hope that it survived its wild ride.

well poor kermit got disintegrated. RIP

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=20237426

Edited by nittyb, 16 September 2013 - 05:47 PM.

• HBGBUB and nccbbsowavy like this

Guest_Toastin'_*

Guest_Toastin'_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

They didnt even warn him

• Buddha_Man likes this

MacTonite

MacTonite

Tall in the grass

• Banned by Moderators
  • 5,202 posts

Ground control to Major Kermy....

• HBGBUB, SiriusWolff and Gizelle like this

HBGBUB

HBGBUB

KCCO

• Gold Member
  • 16,103 posts

• Ẅest Čoast likes this

Ẅest Čoast

Ẅest Čoast

i'm just a soul whose intentions are good

• Registered Upgraded
  • 10,316 posts

I like my frogs nuked anyways.

Guest_Kuollut_*

Guest_Kuollut_*
If I were a frog, that's how I would wanna die
  • Buddha_Man likes this

wildnature

wildnature

• Registered Upgraded
  • 173 posts

If that's for real, that's hilarious  I imagine his final words were wtf?  :eek:

nittyb

nittyb

You know I got it

• Registered Upgraded
  • 514 posts

probably nasashopped

Guest_0ri0n_*

Guest_0ri0n_*

With all that fire I bet the poor guy... croaked.

• Weedity and wildnature like this

Enigma

Enigma

Just Chillin'

• Silver Member
  • 6,847 posts

Buddha_Man

Buddha_Man

Know the Ledge

• Registered Upgraded
  • 6,368 posts

What if he lived? He'd be the most badass frog EVAAAA