New to growing, an easy question regarding CBD

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Deadlock, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Hey I'm new to growing, I'm starting and sticking with organics. It's easier, cheaper, and way more efficient than hydro. I really don't see why it's so fucking hard for people to switch over.

Anyways, I'm curious as of a way to increase the CBD levels in my crop's actual flowers by a means of specific treatment? If so, how can I get the highest amount possible for my patients and myself? I'm not new in the research department regarding cultivation, but I am new to growing hands-on. I'm looking to give the best product possible to my patients who need high CBD levels.

Any advice? I'll be writing ALL useful information down in order to experiment at will, so I'm even willing to start from scratch with all new materials and methods if it means that my goal will be met.

Thank you.

2. Thc and cbd levels are dictated mostly by genetics after that depends on the lighting you use artificial or the sun. With the sun you get 50% more cbd production over indoor. Just cant beat the sun.

This is why I want metal halide and high pressure sodium for flower. I would bet you would get a plant with more trichomes and a wider range cannabinoids as opposed to just the single spectrum. But like you said, can't beat the sun. Let's not forget outside there is moonlight for our ladies all night as well, we always focus on the sun but I am sure that moonlight is doing some wonders of its own as well.

As for getting the most CBD out of your plants I try to go for as much amber in the trichomes as possible. I have not actually been able to achieve the amount of amber I would like to get due to things that have been out of my control, however, the plant I have let go the longest so far (as far as trichomes are concerned), I am told by a cancer patient I help that it was his favorite of our 3 strains so far.

4. Okay, so my only option at this time is allowing the trichomes to amber. I have yet to have a backyard haha. What percentage of amber should I cut them at?

5. When I'm able to get a bigger place with a yard I'm definitely going to make the switch to outdoor. It really can't be beat, especially with organics.
    A buddy of mine's outdoor plants all range from 9-12ft during harvest and are of unmatched quality.
    Also, do feminized seeds and cloning gel defeat the purpose of organics?

6. I am also interested in high cbd strains, I suffer from soft tissue damage in my back and the cbd strains seem to help me the most. I am also interested in any studys that have been done on the moons effect on the plants, searched for a few mins but was unable to find anything about moon light that wasn't from a forum. Genetics are by far the first step in growing high cbd strains as stated above, and sunlight is not an option for many self medicators like me, will follow this in the hope that some good info arrives for us indoor guys!!!

7. If ur looking for more cbds then let it get to 30 % plus amber

8. I appreciate the input guys. Would it be safe to pull the plant at 75% amber?

9. U can do what u wantup to u but at that pointmight have degraded too much. Highest I would go is 50% mysel

10. I'll definitely start from that and experiment from there.
    Thank you

11. Deadlock how about you check this link out, it may help.

www.clear-uk.org/the-importance-of-matured-cannabis/

12. #12 janemba, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
    hydroponics is far more efficient then soil organic growing, you use far less water, and less food, also its easier to keep pest under control in systems like DWC.

13. I disagree. I find organics to be more efficient. With the right super soil you can water only from seedling to harvest, no need for flush so you never har to worry about traces of nutes possibly being left in the buds and some including myself will say organic buds smell/taste better.
    Of course this is all just opinion though.

14. its is a fact that you use less water. ive done a side by side with drain to waste soil and flood and drain. i used 40gal a week on the flood and drain, and 120g a week on soil, thats a huge difference of waste 

15. i have come to realize, that people who claim soil is more efficient then hydroponics have never done it, or failed the first time and gave up. i have done plenty of both, my opinion is, once you get your system dialed, it is far more superior.   
    but this post is about organics, not just soil, there are plenty of organic hydroponic systems that work amazing, ive done small scale aquaponics and i was very impressed. i used organics in a hydro system and its amazing.
    im assuming deadlock meant soil because he said organics is better then hydro, but this is misleading because hydro can be organic.

and to make the claim that soil is more efficient then hydroponics is for lack of a better word ignorant. understanding how nutrients, and the symbiotic relation ship in which organic mater is chelated into plant food, you will know that the beneficials in the soil must break down organic matter and convert it into usable plant food, and this takes time. in hydroponics the plant food is already available, immediately.
    with that said plants can only absorb the inorganic mineral salts that are chelated by the beneficials in the soil. so, this is why i say hydroponics is more efficient 

16. Actually quite a few organic soil crafters on this forum We're former hydro growers for many years, and they aren't shy about saying so. I agree that hydro systems can be very efficient when they are dialed in but I don't agree that makes them superior. I guess it kinda depends on what you're looking for in a grow. I understand some advantages of growing hydroponically but to me building an organic soil is a way to connect with my plant at a microscopic level.

17. How is me voicing my opinion ignorant but you voicing yours isn't? If me stating my opinion that an organic soil medium is more efficient than hydro whether the setup be organic or not, is ignorant. Then you claiming that hydro is more efficient is just as ignorant.

And if you knew anything about soil organics like you say then you would also know that there are ways around the whole microbes have to break down before the plant food is available thing, it's called organic teas.

18. sorry i was not attacking you, or anyone else, i am simply stating facts about soil vs hydroponics., im for organic growing i feel it is they way we can make the earth a better place, i am commenting that people who claim soil is more efficient should learn what hydroponics can do before that claim, im not saying if you prefer soil over hydro you are wrong, there are many things i can do with soil and wish i could do in hydro, and vise verse.

19. and lets all clarify, its not organics vs hydroponics, it is soil vs hydroponics, or organics vs inorganic, but that is a subject all in its own. but hydro can be 100% organic 

20. I suppose this depends on your definition of organic. I would tend to disagree that hydroponic methods are organic because you are taking nature (soil biology) out of the equation, and relying on yourself to read the plant and hand feed it. This is by no means a dis to hydroponic growers I just have a hard time thinking of hydro as organic because historically hydroponic applications have mostly been tied to the chemical fertilizer industry. I'm interested to hear other perspectives on this though...