HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY FOR THIS PIECE

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by canadiankush19, Sep 14, 2013.

1. #61 turbotoke, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013
    I feel the opposite, the more I smoke the more I want to up my ante so to speak on how i'm partaking.  At first joints and a crappy pipe were enough, but now I'm more of a connoisseur so I want my piece to match that.  Right now my go to is a little bong, nothing major but once I make more money I plan on getting a nice piece. 

Oh and to OP if you can get it for right around 200 I would highly suggest it.  I haven't hit an SGW but I hear they are very nice, and that is a sexy bong.

Value of glass depends on a lot of things.  Rep of the blower, rarity, if the piece is still currently in production, etc, etc.

Not everything depreciates by a set amount.  Think about art, a Van Gogh is worth much more now than in his lifetime.  A spanish doubloon from a sunken pirate ship is worth more than the same doubloon found in the ground or a piece of gold at the same weight.

When you sell used pieces the price does not go down greatly.  Or rather it depends on the piece.  Some folks are able to sell their worked pieces for more than they bought them for.  I bought a mothership fab egg for 1250 and sold it for 1200.  I got a pillar for 1200 and sold it for 1100.

We're not talking about a wear item, ie the bong doesn't wear out like shoes.  I know a bit about glass and brands and I buy used whenever I can.  A lot of the stuff you see being sold and traded online is more higher end stuff.  I rarely see SGW waffles on nuggetry but I've seen quite a few mothership pieces, toros, sov, coyle collabs, elbo dinos from time to time, erik anders recyclers, contrabassos etc.

3. can i ask if htheres $100 difference why you would go used? i would just buy the new onw. and your talking super expensive peices here. that are rare af. this is a $200 peice not fumed. $500 fumed. i dont know about glass as much as much as you. why why on earth woould you buy it for 300 fumed used when you can just have it for 300 clear brand new?

4. #64 shaggish, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    a lot of pieces sold second hand are no longer available "new"

5. There's no fume on that tube...

Your posts are kinda hard to read man

Sent from my MB886 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. LMAO! nvr mind

7. Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

So basically what your saying is price depends on supply and demand. Are you seriously going to compare a van gogh and items from a sunken pirate ship to a modern, used water pipe? That's a bit of a stretch

8. i think he was making a point that like items (such as gold) can have different values based on a number of variables

9. Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Oh..was that what he was saying? How about the van gogh..what the hell does that have to do with a sgw waffle perc?

Yes, but if someone is interested in selling or buying used glass they should also know what influences supply and demand.  And what is wrong with comparing one type of commodity with another?  I didn't say that those things were of equal value.  And yes, worked glass pieces are more like van gogh's, and historical artifacts, in that unlike other manufactured goods these are unique.

I chose those goods for comparison because they are unique (like non prodo glass).  And like the spanish doubloon, the history of the piece factors into the price.  Old SG made by Steve himself is worth more than new SG because it's now made by his workers.  The guy at my lhs has one of the first elbo dino's, it looks kinda crappy compared to the newer elbo dinos but it's worth more due to it being the first.

BTW if you want to be the post police your last 2 don't have jack to do with a SGW waffle perc either.  How bout you let the mods do their job, they don't have an issue with my posting off topic.

11. Yeah like turdhole said, sometimes I just can't find the piece brand new.  OG straight peyote pillar, and my mothership klein torus, I just couldn't find them new.  And also, 100 bucks is 100 bucks, if I can save it and basically have the same tube, why not? 

If you want the color work getting it used for about the same as a new clear one sounds pretty reasonable.  An olympic horizonline is like 300, but the Jop/Olympic collab at dablab is going for 1K, it's not even that much work.  A clear fab egg is like 1250, my lhs just sold a lavender colored one for over 5K.

If you don't care about the color, I'd just try to get the clear one used and save yourself some money.

Waffle perc is pretty similar to any of the stemline designs or poked hole diffuser types, so you have a lot of options if all you want is a straight tube with a gridded perc. 

i think the van gogh reference was just an example of how things can appreciate in value

13. Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Good thing he told us about that van gogh guy..nobody would have guessed his artwork appreciated in value :blink:

14. Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Good thing he told us about that van gogh guy..nobody would have guessed his artwork appreciated in value :blink:

15. Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. You should have put a tldr. Just because you type a long ass paragraph doesn't mean you are teaching us anything.

Do you think your the only one that knows about supply and demand? No shit some old sovs by steeve are worth more. Come on tell s something we don't know.

Sunken pirate ships and van gogh? Come on were talking about a sgw for christ sake. Sounds like you've been watching too much history channel.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Back on topic..get the sgw waffle perc..I heard the blower cut off one of his ears. I predict after his passing the sgw waffle perc will be worth millions!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

sad thing is you really dont "get it"  that's okay i dont expect much out of people like you

19. meh, it is what it is. It's really my fault.  I should be more succinct so that less adroit readers won't be so heavily burdened. 

20. Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

What is there to get? Also why do you answer for the other guy? I'm not even talking to you. Go buy a sgw..its like a van gogh. One day it will be in museums all over the world. :lol:

Maybe smoking pot does kill brain cells