SST - Sprouted Seed Tea

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by GiMiK, Sep 11, 2013.

1. So from my understanding, fulvic acid softens the shell casing of a seed, right? This makes the shell more water-permeable and can facilitate germination and growth.

There's a technique called scarification, where you damage the shell of a seed in order to allow more water penetrate, facilitating germination.

I'm planning on growing hops this year, and on the packet of seeds it is unclear with it's germination tips, but it did mention scarification. Basically, can soaking in a diluted solution of fulvic acid and water effectively increase germination like scarification but w/ less potential for human error?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I believe so steve, though I'm hoping Chunk or another more educated individual will opine on the subject.

3. Some very helpful information, and the link posted is invaluable.

4. That just the tip of the iceberg. Down the rabbit hole you go.

http://www.bioag.com/humicfaqresources.html

5. Soooooo yaaaaa.

You can totally over apply barley SST haha. I applied it kind of strong for every watering during flowering and well my Hazc is still showing new growth at week 14.... so ya.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

What amount was "kinda strong"?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I never pureed the seeds, I just let them sprout with an air stone. (2cups/ 5gal)

And kept them there until they stopped releasing.

My veggers look awesome, So maybe HazC is just sensitive to hormones?

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]can soaking in a diluted solution of fulvic acid and water effectively increase germination[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]Absolutely and positively. Yes. This is especially useful when germinating old seeds.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]j[/SIZE]

9. #49 jerry111165, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014

Man, that's an understatement!

Steve, there's a mess of good links and resources on the BioAg site. Read them all...

ps - heres some to get you started.

http://www.bioag.com/images/BioAg_Ful-Power_FAQ_LR.pdf

http://www.bioag.com/images/MY_can_NovDec09_40-44.pdf

http://www.bioag.com/educationandresources.html

http://www.bioag.com/images/IFAS_fulvic_report.pdf

http://www.bioag.com/humicfaqresources/faqforhumicacids.html

http://fulvics.com/fulvics/fulvics.htm

j

10. #50 cdphalanx, Apr 28, 2014
    That sounds like a much more 'up my alley' kind of way to do the SST.... bubble and strain

11. Do you dilute this solution before watering or just apply straight? I probanly missed all this on earlier posts I just freaking wish I could search within threads on the app

12. Yea the app always has issues for me. If it ever doesn't load for you just delete your cache instead of reinstalling.

I did not dilute and just directly applied. When the water ran out I would just dump them in the next bucket and so on.

I'll post pictures tonight of the HazC.

lol, I'm good on this happening again because I get busy. 

001.JPG

But yeah I'm pretty sure that's why my cali dream was establishing new growth through week 11, over application of SST's. I've cut it down to once or twice a week, depending on how lazy I wanna be.

Less is more.  :hippie:

14. @[member="GiMiK"]

Did you let her keep going or did you chop when you normally would?

I applied the same amount to my Afgan and she loves it. Its the most dense product I've ever produced!

15. For what it's worth I never liked the Grasscity app. I think it's much more user-friendly to simply log onto the Internet and go to Grasscity that way on my iPhone.

With the App I found that I missed out on a bunch of the assorted Forum functions. By simply logging into Grassciity on the Internet I don't miss out on any of the functions.

J

16. #56 GiMiK, Apr 28, 2014

I was on the fence about it for a couple days but took it down a little later than I planned intially.

And yeah the indicas I just finished loved every bit of what I gave them. Like you said, extremely dense nuggets.

Might be something there worth experimenting with.

17. I agree, I believe that's what lumpers is doing now. Maximized resin product but I know he hates indies.

18. Wel...jee whiz batman, my plants have been missing out!
    I guess ful-power is on my shopping list now.
    Thanks @[member="FickySiskers"] and @[member="jerry111165"] for the resources.

19. From Lumper today -

"
    Here ya go!!!!

Okay - when we sprout our grains we are able to harvest the enzymes that they contain. I take these germinated seeds and grind them and you know the rest of the story. At malting companies once the grain has germinated they ‘kiln' the grains @ 120F and higher temps for dark beer because the heat caramelizes the sugars in the grain and that's how you get amber and dark beers. But we don't want the grains to caramelize because that wipes out any number of enzymes that may not be important in the brewing process but they are the enzymes that we want to add to our soil and worm bins.

What is important to understand are the critical quality assurance procedures implemented at the malting houses and for all of the beer produced in the US you could count all of the major malting houses on a single set of hands. The quality control starts at the very beginning by working with established growers that harvest barley, rye and wheat used in brewing whose soils are capable of handling this ‘enzyme mission' because that's at the very core of brewing - the enzymes levels. This goes down to the specific varieties grown which ties into the worldwide research centered on these grains.

Once the grains are received at the malting houses they go through a process where seeds that are the incorrect color, shape, etc. are blown off the conveyor belt by tiny air hoses which are controlled by computers as you've seen perhaps on food shows that feature stories how factories work their incoming materials. Since beer is a multi-billion dollar a year industry you can imagine how finite they've gotten this thing down - selected growers, specific varieties, etc.

Then there's the germination process which is just as technical - water purity, the specific amount of ‘minerals' in the water, pH, temperatures in the germination rooms, etc. to increase enzyme production and the list goes on and on.

What I'm trying to say is that in spite of all the care we might take we will never, ever be able to consistently produce the same levels of enzymes in our SST brews. We lack the skill set, the equipment to measure such things and that's why legitimate microbiologists run this part of the process - that's how critical it is.

So guess what? Besides the malted barley products which are either liquid or powders, brewers also use whole grains which have been germinated and kilned to the point where they're dry which leaves the original enzymes intact!!!!!!!!!!!!! What this means is that if you were to buy the 2-Row Barley Malt GRAIN all you need to do to make an enzyme tea is to grind these ‘malted grains' and add them to water and let them brew for several hours - 24 is at the high end and 12 hours would be at the low end. If you added BioAg Ful-Power and some juice from your aloe vera plants at the beginning of the brew that would greatly enhance the enzyme extraction from the powdered barley malt grain.

This means that you could make an enzyme tea anytime you wanted without having to plan for a 2 or 3 day process. Here's the best part - the price. A typical price for 2-Row Barley Malt Grain is around $1.70 per lb. and you only need to use 1 oz. to make 1 gallon of SST - less than $.11 a gallon? Not counting the cost of 1/2 oz. of BioAg Ful-Power.

You could enhance this further by adding some kelp at the beginning for enzymes and to a lesser degree some of the elements but regardless after you strain and drain you will have some ‘muck' which is perfect for the worm bin. Adding the actual SST brew to the worm bin is something one might want to consider doing every week and by using these whole malted grains it would be very easy and again you don't have to do any long-term planning.

It doesn't get any easier than this……(LD)

J

• Like Like x 2