SST - Sprouted Seed Tea

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by GiMiK, Sep 11, 2013.

1. This has become mandatory for me. If I were hand watering still I would use an SST each and every single time I watered.

With the SIP trays I use I still hit them every 2-3 days with a little bit via hand watering.

Very potent "growth accelerator" from what I've seen.

2. I'm with you GiMiK. I've been sticking to the coconut water. I let the #15 SmartSIPs go towards the dry side then top water with a little and fill the res with straight water. Plants have never looked better.

3. What's up people?  :wave:

So do you guys use SST during flowering at all?

And does this stuff store for any amount of time, or do you have to use the whole batch once it's made?

4. Every watering.
    Freeze into cubes.
    If you can't puree then soak for 24hrs and apply.

HaGGarD

Thanks, buddy.

6. Do you all use EM-1 to make an FPE out of your SST?  Or simply follow the SST V2.0 given on the first page, and use it immediately or freeze it?  I found this SST FPE recipe from LD:

[SIZE=12pt]Here's an easy formula:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In a 1/2 gallon Mason jar add the following:

2 tablespoons of [/SIZE]organic alfalfa seeds
    Cover with clean water
    Add 1/4 tsp. of some kind of kelp/seaweed whatever

Let this sit for 24 hours and drain. Rinse and drain every day until you have a huge mass of sprouts.

Fill the Mason jar with water leaving about 2" at the top. Add 1 tsp. of kelp meal (or the appropriate amount of soluble seaweed extract), 1 tsp. of sea salt (do not use Morton's or anything with iodine), 1 tsp. of glacial rock dust or soft rock phosphate or whatever. If you have pure humic acid (including BioAg TM-7), then add 1/2 the recommend amount.

Add 2 ounces of EM-1 (or AEM or lactic acid serum), 2 ounces of a carbohydrate - however you get there - I like to use palm sugar because it's not processed much and has high levels of minerals. Blows molasses right out of the water on that deal.

If you buy the specific EM culture called SCD Bio Ag (not to be confused with BioAg the humic/fulvic acid folks) fromAmazon.com, this specific EM culture has been inoculated with PNSB (purple non-sulphur bacteria) aka photosynthesis bacteria, you'll end up with a unique FPE. 

You can ferment this in your garden room(s) as higher temps give you a better ferment. After a week or so then drain out the ferment and feed the sprouts to your worms, top dress some plants outdoors, whatever - there's a lot of value in these fermented sprouts.

Now you have an FPE and you're good to go. That's all there is to it.

This reduced fermenting time only applies to sprouted seeds. If you're making an FPE from leaves or roots (nettle or comfrey for example) you're going to want to ferment until you hit a pH of < 3.5

HTH

LD

I'm assuming that the reduced ferment time is to prevent the enzymes from being broken down?  And I could then hit it with citric acid to arrest fermentation, for later use?

Just got my barley seeds today, I'm pumped to get started!

7. #27 GiMiK, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
    No fermentation; that process is not going to produce the same results. Enzymes are temporary, they will degrade and the main benefits of doing this "tea" will be lost.

Fermented plant extracts are intended for elements, not secondary metabolites.

Soak for 24 hours, dump out water, refill and aerate for 24 - 48 hours using a small air pump. When the taproots are roughly the length of the seed dump the seeds and water into a blender and puree. Then add into your water, stir and apply.

Instead of an air pump you can use burlap, paper towels, etc. for a moist rest period, though I find the air pump method is easier with no roots woven through fabric.

Can you elaborate on this?  I find it hard to believe that LD would recommend a sprout FPE, if fermenting the sprouts negates their main advantage?  Maybe if you froze the sprout FPE, it would help prevent enzymatic breakdown, and the nutrient value of the sprouts would be "pre-digested" by the EM-1... best of both worlds?

I know that Kimchi is fermented and contains high levels of enzymes.... fermentation itself is caused by enzymes.  I understand the specific ones we are after (from the sprouts) could be denatured or something.... but the FPE definitely delivers some enzymes.

9. #29 GiMiK, Jan 30, 2014
    I should clarify; FPE's are intended for elements, not for secondary metabolites.

There was an old discussion on this at ICmag which proved that process to be inefficient in comparison, by LD himself and other experienced members of the cannabis community.

Could try it but I'm content with the process previously explained. 

10. #30 cdphalanx, Jan 30, 2014
    Remember, even LD had to learn some things along the way. Not everything he's ever typed is going to be 100% accurate... even if at the time it may have seemed so.

True..... ok... so most likely the ones we are after are denatured by the fermenting process (the acidity, perhaps)?  Guess I'll save my EM-1 for other uses..... and get some seeds sprouting right away!

Have you tried using less water in the blender, and making a "sprout paste" the way LD described doing with kelp meal (on the first page)?  That way you'd have "sprout paste" ready to make tea with.... or is it clearly much better to just make the sprout tea and freeze it into cubes?

12. I make it and refridgerate, I do make a paste. The next day I mix with molasses and water and apply.

No but I use everything I make, whenever it finishes sprouting. I always have a jar or two bubbling barley/clover seeds so it doesn't really bother me to look past that atm. 

14. I've got a few questions for you guys.

CC says you can use fulvic in the sst, would ful-power from bioag work for this?

What is SIP?

15. 1) That would be ideal, actually.

2) Sub-Irrigated Planter.  For most on here it is either a bed of wicking medium (perlite, pumice, etc) that a smart pot is sat on top of, or a bucket of wicking medium, with another bucket or hard pot on top, and generally a PVC tube down through the soil and the bottom of the upper bucket into the lower bucket to allow easy water re-fills and to check the water level

Thanks GtG. I'm going to have to look into this SIP stuff...

17. Well, I know what I'm doing today after reading this thread...

18. stevebomb if you also combine it with fulvic acid you'll see an added benefit. I usually apply a foliar of fulvic when I add the coconut water. It's like priming a pump.

19. Yup...the sprouted seeds, fulvic acid, coconut water, silica and aloe vera are very useful (though unnecessary) tools. 

I love the responses I get from applying even just the base SST with water...