Cloning Problems. Help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by silverfalcon81, Sep 10, 2013.

1. So... I am really new to this whole thing and am attempting to learn how to clone my own plants using my bubble cloner, but I am having some problems.

My entire setup is hydro. I use 5-gallon bubble buckets for my larger plants (only 4 at the moment). They are doing WONDERFUL. Huge, bushy, vibrant green, healthy, happy plants.

That said... I am having a hell of a time figuring out this cloning thing. I built a modified bubble/aero cloner (and yes before the lecture I know it's not technically aero...) that can hold up to 35 clones at a time. I use MaxGrow veg nutrient at 1/4 dilution. Cut each clone off my very healthy adult plants, used a sterile scalpel, cut a nice 45 degree angle, ensured at least 1-2 nodes was below the level of my plug (again using modified aero design), let each one sit in CloneX for about 30 seconds, added B1 to the water to reduce shock, and have them in the room, but not below, a standard fluorescent fixture. Water temperature is controlled at a constant 72 degrees, room air is 75 degrees. Fans in the room move air to create a nice gently breeze (which barely hits the clones). I don't have my big air fans going to replace the air yet, as I am still building the actual grow room, which should be done in 2 weeks.

I cloned 3 days ago (last Friday)... so its been almost exactly 80 hours since then. But my clones look terrible. All shriveled up and not healthy looking at all.

My questions are:
    1) Is this normal? What should I expect to see?

2) Am I doing something wrong? (please don't tell me to use peat pellets, soil, etc... I want to figure this thing out. I have grown several clones successfully in soil... this is a learning experience for me).

3) Does anybody know of any day-by-day photo logs of a similar cloner and what to expect? I was going to make one... but I want to get this right first.

The cloner itself is a 27 gallon extra-duty container. Lid painted black. 2" aero plugs (I bought one and just made my own from identical closed cell foam). 4 air curtains inside (I want to put the boss hog ceramic air diffusers in but I can't afford them at the moment). Ecoplus Commercial 1 air pump dedicated to unit (18w, 38 lpm (~ 600 gph) divided between 4 18" curtains. Lots of water movement and LOTS of bubbles, excellent air saturation.

See attached pictures for reference. I really appreciate any help!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      908.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      985.9 KB
      Views:
  2. What's the ph level of your 27 gal res?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. Exactly 5.5. I just rechecked it.

4. #4 Vee, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
    Who for a start told you to use cloning solution or even feed them, my clones are done and leaping to there own pots in 8 days, I'm still working on reducing that to 5....one day..LOL

All you need is air in the water or water to trickle over the root end, cambian ...!

To my blog   http://forum.grasscity.com/blog/1093/entry-9642-cloning-bubbler-mk2/

Use a soft light you want the plants photo motor just ticking over not revving, keep air and water at 75f/25c max, change your water every 5 days, check your nozzles whist your are at it, don't use food or chemicals or clones solution, just air and water, as you are still learning just make no more than 12-15 clones till you are comfortable, or you will be back here still bitching

walk b4 U run!  memorize this: http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-step-step.html

Attached Files:

5. pH shouldnt matter. Ive got clones rooting in my aerocloner with water at 7.5
    They root fine.

Your guys are dehydrated. It could be that your neoprene inserts are suffocating them (too tight)
    Aero cloners dont really need humidity domes, you should maybe add one though. Mist em, What is your rh?

Ive used clonex, rooting powder and just plain nothing and they all work just fine.
    Let em sit in the clonex solution for 15mins.
    Clonex isnt necessary, clones maybe root a couple of days quicker with it. I just hate that slimey crap in my res.

Use no more than a 20w cfl or indirect light. And trim those leaves when you cut clones.