Worm Castings ?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by UKCRONICGROWER, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Ok Call Me Thick But What The Hell Are Worm Castings ? And Where Can U Get Them ?

2. Are They Them Little Mounds Of Soil U Get On Your Garden That The Worms Make When They Pop Up ?

3. Come On Guys Some Foooker Must Know Lol

4. Worm castings = High quality soil, worm shit basically.

5. EARTH WORM CASTINGSIf you are interested in reducing your dependence on chemicals, lowering your cost of production and increasing yields, then you need to use this stuff.
    • Suppress fungal diseases (phythium, fusarium, dollar spot, etc)
    • Reduce algae in greenhouses, ponds, & lagoons – no nitrogen run-off
    • May be applied to phosphate sensitive areas
    • Reduce irrigation cost up to 50%
    • Increases drought resistance
    • Reduce all chemical costs by 75% first year of 3 year program
    • No ground water contamination
    • Improve crumb structure of soil
    • Not toxic - reduce liabilities for employees and clients when used professionally.

Earthworm Castings Organic Fertilizer is an all purpose natural fertilizer that comes to you straight from nature with no alterations whatsoever. These night crawlers are fed a very right peat, which contains a wide variety of minerals and trace elements. The earthworms digest this material and in its' passage through the worm, it is beneficially altered both chemically and physically. The end product is "super <A href="http://www.dirtworks.net/Glossery.html#anchorhumus\Hu"mus\, n. [L., the earth, ground, soil.] That portion of the soil formed by the decomposition of animal or vegetable matter. It is a valuable constituent of soils.">humus" which is extremely fertile top soil properly conditioned for best root growth, containing in rich proportion and water soluble form, all the elements required of the earth for optimum plant nutrition.
    * Black Gold Organic Earthworm Castings, contain rich proportions of water-soluble nutrients. This is a primary reason for being able to provide incredible results. Worm Castings allow plants to quickly and easily absorb all essential nutrients and trace elements in simple forms, so plants need only minimal effort to obtain them. This is not the case with most other fertilizers. Though they may have many nutrients and/or higher analyses, the ability of plants of optimally use them is limited because they are not broken down to the degree in which the earthworm is able to provide them
    .*As well as an abundance of available nutrients, worm castings also provide a perfect mix of nutritional needs. This allows plants to feed as needed for weeks and months at time, depending on the plant.
    *High Availability of Nutrients - Over 60 micro nutrients and trace minerals along with high numbers of beneficial microbes and bacteria

Earth Worm Castings are also an effective way to repel white flies, aphids and spider mites & any pest that feeds on plant juices. According to recent studies, applying earthworm castings to the soil around your plants increases the production of a certain enzyme that is offensive to these insects.

Earthworm castings are an organic, non-toxic fertilizer that can be used on just about any plant in the garden! They are a great source of calcium, magnesium, nitrogen, phosphates and potash.

One way to use worm castings is to top-dress the soil with a 1/2 inch to 1 inch layer. When you water, the nutrients filter down to the roots of your plants. For potted plants use about 1/3 castings to 2/3 potting soil. Side dressing row crops in your garden is one of the best ways to apply worm castings, especially with large fields. You can just place it right along side your crops.

How quickly the pests depart depends on the size of the plant. For instance, it may take as little as two weeks for an infestation to clear up on a houseplant or as long as two months to rid a large rose of pests.

forgot to add i used them in my last grow worked real good check out my jurnal at the bottom and i also used it in all my dirt in the new grow

6. Yep, worm shit. It's a very rich and very mild pure organic soil supplement. I mix it in to the soil then top-dress as described once or twice during the grow.

Plenty of sellers on eBay, or try kandmfarms-dot.com. A local nursery might have them too.

7. THANKS GUYS :hello: I LOVE THIS SITE :)

8. I was writing about worms recently. Here it is...

Worms rock! You can keep them in a cool kitchen cupboard, and they literally eat your waste, and transform it into a most delicious food for your soil. I kid you not, worms have already changed the world, creating a magnificently rich environment for the plants of the earth, but they might just do it again, providing us all with a modern, convenient, odour-free (yup!), waste-disposal system with a *positive* environmental impact! The plant-superfood is just a bonus, but to the Cannabis grower, a sweet and wonderful bonus it is!

Serious worm-composters can keep two bins. The first with a high-nitrogen (veg) feeding regime, the second; for your flower bed; high potassium and phosphorus. Basically, the second bin gets all the fruit, especially banana peelings, even a few choice banana slices for the wrigglers; they love banana (in fact they'll eat almost anything, except onions and garlic).
    \t\t
    Of course, worms don't eat the food, they eat the bacteria that grows on the food. And what comes out the other end of the worm ("wormcast", aka "the spice") is pure nectar for soil. Cannabis plants enjoy high quality nourishment, and soil fed with this stuff is capable of producing a beautiful blend for your babies, nectar on tap.
    \t\t
    Wormkeeping is easy. You can start by going to a local compost heap (with permission), and grabbing a sack of the stuff (they love compost). At home, separate out the worms. You'll have maybe 30-100 red wrigglers. You can buy worms, too. They are around £10 for 500.
    \t\t
    Then get a big tub, say 1-2' x 1-2' x 8-12", wide is good. drill out a few holes in the bottom for air and drainage (or buy a ready-made worm bin), and put in a layer of shredded paper (or compost, peat - there are a few interesting forms of "environmentally friendly" peat on the market now, scout around the online organic gardening catalogs, etc. something they can make a nice bed out of). Moisten it with a spray-gun.
    \t\t
    Then put some food scraps in, and your worms, of course, and another layer of shredded paper on the top (some folk use a piece of (natural) carpet, something to keep the top dark, and the moisture in.). Spray the whole thing moist but not wet. Put on a lid (a board, whatever) and site in a cool, dark place.
    \t\t
    Every day or two, you sprinkle a handful (or the weight of worms you have, whichever is least) of scraps under the top layer of shredded paper, working in zones around the bin with each feed. When you get back to the start (say, a fortnight), if the food is gone, increase feeding slightly; if it's still there, wait a week, then begin feeding again, with smaller amounts.
    \t\t
    They eat the bedding if they get hungry, so if the bedding is disappearing, again, increase feeding slightly (always *slightly*). Keep the whole thing cool and dark, and covered. Put a tray underneath to catch any juice (aka "leachate"), that comes out. I don't get leachate, because I keep my worm bins relatively dry, which gives me a beautiful, friable cast, very easy to work with, and get the worms out of!
    \t\t
    It's alive in there! and the worms will multiply rapidly. You could have 20,000 worms in a year, given the right conditions. Within a few months I had thousands, and a steady supply of fine wormcast. Remember, you are caring for some of natures creatures, so always give them the best conditions possible. Not too warm or dry. I'm told worms will try and escape the bin if conditions are bad, but mine never have.

Worms. Luv em!

-mu

9. I like the idea of making your own worm castings....Anyone know how you harvest the castings then out of the compost ?

Also like the idea of having a ton of worms...you could sell them to fisherman for bait then as well

10. #10 kertesz, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2011
  11. I just ordered a 15lb can of them.....

Hopefully this will hold me over until I can get a worm farm going :peace:

12. organic soils like fox farm and happy frog have worm castings and lots of other good stuff