An American Dream - White Picket Fences and Marijuana in the So Cal Sun

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by BrassNwood, Sep 8, 2013.

1. #1301 BrassNwood, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
      Both the remaining line plants, Northern Lights and HaloX2 that had some mold got tossed whole into the ice chest last night as they were getting stiff feeling.. Chest was 72% humidity this morning so I timed that ok..

As we are heading off to the mountains for a couple of days I leave things in the trusted hands of my good friend Mr. S..

I moved the 5 IBCC plants into the partial shade of the lemon tree back next to the Dark Goblin in the ring to try and shield them somewhat from the blistering temps expected over the next several days.. 106 plus in all the inland areas and mid 80s on the beach.. With the grow a few miles inland it'll be high 90s even that close to the water..

Attached Files:

2. Howdy Brass, loving the look of that SG gear, beautiful colors. How late would you be comfortable spraying BT? I found some tell tale bug scat on some sugar leaves and when I pulled apart the nugs sure enough there was some worm nest webbing but I couldn't find the little bastard so I don't know if it did it's damage before it got killed off by a spraying or if I'm getting some late season invaders...she's about 2-3 weeks out from chop. In the Midwest if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for all the IPMS reminders you posted, usually by this time of year I'd have pulled 10-20 nugs off from molded worm nesting and this year I've only found one!

3. It looks like I MIGHT have a Dk Goblin male here....I'm going to try & keep it going to flower on a different floor of the house...best I can do this late in the year...can't put it outside...but what I want to try is letting it flower & freeze pollen until I have a Dk Goblin female that is ready....the one I have now is already in the flowering room....did you happen onto some reading on doing this?  I've only found quick references...

~Julie-Beth~   :wave:

4. Have a good time up in them hills Woody! We're looking at some rain and t-storms this week. I'll beleive it when I see it.

Good deal on the clear container for male harvest. Putting them by a window means I don't have to worry about hooking up yet another light. Do you line the bottom of the container with anything for catching the pollen? Sorry if you already answered that question. I'm thinking of just placing paper inside along with a few cuts that have a good amount of sacks on em. It'll be so much easier to let the pollen fall instead of trying to harvest it in the wind!

Thanks again man.

5. carlsbarn..
      I'll spray BT as close as the day of harvest.. While I was treating once a week I've stepped it up to twice a week this deep in harvest as I'm finding live caterpillars.. BT only lasts a couple of hours once the sun hits it..

6. Julie-Beth..
      I was lucky enough to be able to use my males up as they showed for the most part.. The general take I got on pollen storage was to mix with flour both to extend the amount of material as well as increase it's viability during and after storage.. Keeping the pollen stone dry is your biggest concern as any moisture will kill your pollen.. Toss a silica dry pack in the bag if you have one..

7. DDD..
      I just lined the bottom of the container with the male with white paper but most of my pollen take was shoving his head in a 2 gallon zip lock bag and shaking.. I do that once a day then take that out to my lower branch I'm working on, insert the bud and shake the zip lock.. I close trim the about to be pollenated bud down like for harvest.. 2 fold reason being better access for pollen and easy identification at harvest.. I'll put some tape or string as an additional identifier too usually as I'm taking down the plant..

8. #1308 BrassNwood, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    Even with 2 hired warm bodies with shovels I worked way to hard smoothing all the dirt moved in to the driveway by the neighbor and his rented bobcat.. Unfortunately we didn't get finished so another day of it in a few hours.. Ouch my poor back, arms, legs,, Hell everything hurts this morning.. I'm getting to old for this wrong end of the shovel crap..
      It works out.. He gets rid of a lot of dirt and I get to soften the grade getting out of my drive and fill that pesky low spot that becomes a lake when it rains.. It really does rain here.. Well I think I remember it raining.. Last year or was it 2 years before that ?? LOL

Attached Files:

9. Just as people will buy seeds from an anonymous yet colorfully marketed website, I bet they'd buy your extra dirt if you packaged it and put a SG logo on it.

10. #1310 Sundance6758, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    LOL   Chupa....I'd buy some, just to say that I owned some of Woody's Dirt...HA!

~JB~
    EDIT:  Aw hell, I gotta ask....what crawled up your Southern Ass these days, Ol' Wise One????  Seems to be something really really BIG!!!  Answer the question, Chupa.....

11. Stop by the journal and burn one Brass, I think I'm 2-3 weeks away from a serious capacity issue with my drying tent.

It's odd, I had to turn off the vent to raise the humidity as I'm filling it up. But, on the good side I've learned to just seal it up with a fan on inside it and let it creep back up. If needed, my next step will be a container of water, with a small cloth as a wick, sitting in front of the fan.

Attached Files:

12. #1312 BrassNwood, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
    My mountain home really does have a water feature.. Ok so it only runs when it's actually raining enough for the road to runoff
    Looking uphill
    Lavender
    Red Headed Step Sister original flavor
    Blue Berry.. The new plants need a road map so I'm just winging them
    Sticky Monkey.. Thinking about letting this strain go as it's just doesn't do well for me..
    Dark Goblin 5
    DG 20
    Halo 3 seed making
    Train Wreck maybe

Attached Files:

13. #1313 BrassNwood, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
    Halo in black SIP
    Girl Scout Cookies
    RHSS-2 pink variation
    RHSS-2
    GSC
    RHSS-2
    RHSS-2
    RHSS-2
    Dark Goblin in ring
    Chem Valley Kush
    Purple Kush
    Halo

Attached Files:

14. Blue Berry
    GSC
    Blue Dream
    Darth Vader
    Afgooey
    MVTF
    Haze
    New
    New
    RHSS-1
    Blue Berry seedling
    Sticky Monkey reveg
    Darth Vader
    Blue Berry
    Blue Dream
    RHSS-2
    Solar Veg DG and HX2
    IBCC contestants.. Well the tallest has grown a pair.. Several pair..

Attached Files:

15. Dark Goblin was the 1st to be harvested today
    Everybody in the cooler went in jars today except Halo
    RHSS had this waiting loose in the bag with no coaxing.. RHSS-3 this is
    Halo got a bit of a smoke test at the request of Mr. S.. Hot and tickled the back of your throat.. Needs curing..
    HaloX2 in the black SIP got the axe next..
    Dark Goblin from the 20 gal SIP was the last harvest of the day.. Thanks Mr. S for all your trim work that let me attend other duties like scrubbing the SIPs for the next tenant..
    5 gal SIP decanted
    Scrubbed and ready
    Some pretty in pink showing deep in Dark Goblin 20
    3 SIPs cleaned..
    Halo
    Far left is the seeded few buds. Next is the other Halo and DG on the left..
    6 1/2gallons and 3 quarts so far..

Attached Files:

16. Our grws are synched up..i harvested yestrday morn.. today it went in paper bg..cleaned my sip from longshot grove and went thru the soil and removed roots..smoking test j of popcorn..it's the best i've done of this strain so far..77 days flwr seems to be the time frame..exactly as Ozzy the breeder said..cab 2 is at 48 days so aprox another 30 days for another harvest..hall pod gets tp'd this wknd and goes outdrs..time for the teenagers to leave home..i've been getting a feel for nite conditons by sitting outside at various times in the AM..70 at 3am with just the slightest hint of wtr drplts in the air is perfect for PM imo..i also noticed that one of my multi potted succulents had the same mold rot..i dug it all out..i had to rake ,sweep, and hose dwn after the windstrm kicked ass..picked up dozens of twigs stuck in the cacti with tongs..it was a good wrk out i crashed all afternoon..next up is cleaning up cab 1 and then trnsfrng seedlings and led in there..maybe early this am..like you said slow n'' easy

17. Harvested one of Avon yesterday (2 more to go!)....She is loaded down with these very large buds....average of 6-8 Big Buds per plant, then they decrease in size, but NOT by much!!!  This is the second run of this UNKNOWN BAGSEED & she didn't do this last time around...not anything close!  Has to be the organic soil, Woody....has to be!! :yay:

~Julie-Beth~  feelin' kinda Proud!!!  LOL
    Buds 1 & 2 Avon Buds 1 (800x593).jpg   Buds 3 & 4 Avon Buds 2 (596x800).jpg   Bud 1 trimmed Avon Buds trimmed (598x800).jpg

18. Julie-Beth..
     Wow, That is a tasty looking treat.. With my 5 gal SIPs harvested and cleaned I'll reload them with the latest batch of re-amended soil for another run.. I've got 8 mixed Darks and Halos in the solar area that are well past the size I can do in the veg boxes and I'm torn between getting them in the SIPs and flowering or continuing to veg up some real monsters this go round..

I've picked up some odds and ends to experiment with like ( young coconut water - foliar ) ( malted barley 6 row grain milled - soil drench ).. I'm making a list for an order for some Build a soil things if I can talk my better half into it.. Powdered Aloe, Kelp meal, Neem meal, the usual suspects..

I really should have taken the Darks last week as the big 20 was way done.. She's going to be crippling strong Ha.. I needed a knock down night time sleeping aid..

19. #1319 Sundance6758, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
    I ordered yesterday:  Neem Cake (NeemResource), some Azomite, Oyster Meal, & more Kelp Meal....I'm ready to take the sledgehammer to the bag of rabbit pellets I've had waiting in the garage.... :)   I've got Crab Shell out there that needs to be pounded also....I don't know what I'm doing with all this (yet) but it should be fun trying to figure it all out!  OH!!!  Also found a local source for EWC & when I hook up with the guy he does compost also...Called Durango Compost Company & is only 3 miles outside of town... http://www.durangocompost.com/ ....Suppose to meet up with him tomorrow morning at the Farmer's Market in town & pick up the EWC...it's pricey, $35 for 20 qt bags....that's expensive for worm shit (I think), but it's freshly made & I'd rather give my $$$ to somebody local....Support Your Local Worms!!!  LOL  Have you ran into anything yet that YOU THINK should be included in an Organic Mix???  Open to all suggestions!!!  I'm trying to stay away from Mammal Crap & Bi-Products (blood & bones) & the guano thing...it just doesn't sound "right" to me...Gawd only knows what they feed those mammals...& everything I have read, guanos don't breakdown right & take forever to do so, where & how they harvest that shit, etc....also, QUESTION:  Since I have Rock Dust from Agrowinn Ferts & will be using it, where does the Azomite fit into all that???  I mean I have seen Glacial Rock Dust, Rock Dust Phosphate, Azomite & other dirty dusts, all used together....so???

~Julie-Beth~  Ughmmmmm.....I see RHSS seeds....I do, I do....LOL  :rolleyes:   Have I told you lately HOW MUCH I love you????

20. #1320 BrassNwood, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
    The Azomite is off the table now in most soil mixes.. Something about the aluminum content if I was less stoned I might remember the specifics of.. EWC is a hydrostore item for me and I have to wait till he gets more worm power as the buckaroo is crap..
    Good EWC is small round balls of material.. Dark black in color.. I've learned to open a look before buying having paid for crap to many times..
      I don't bother with guano either as I need way more High N material using good old composted chicken manure.. Lowes item..
    Don't bother crushing up the rabbit chow as it softens and falls apart once it gets damp/wet and can't be found whole after a couple of days or so I found..

So hit up your local home brew store.. Your looking for 6 row malted barley.. You can have it milled at the store or run it through a coffee bean grinder as needed.. Get 1 lb to start with.. Cost me about $ 1.25 for a pound.. 1 ounce to 1 gal of fresh clean water.. de chlorinated is preferred.. Apply as a soil drench..  This is the replacement for an SST.. ( Sprouted Seed Tea ) Using brewing malted barley we take all the guess work out of the sprouting stage at a fraction of the cost and trouble.. Let it set for 1 to 4 hours and apply.. Airstone can be used but not required..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

[​IMG] Posted by <span>Clackamas Coot</span> on 29 August 2014 - 11:36 AM in Organic Growing
    AugustWest

Here's something to consider to increase the production of terpenes, terpenoids and ketones which includes THC...

I'm basing this on the science discussed in these two books:

Salicylic Acid: A Plant Hormone
    \n[​IMG]  Salicylic Acid-A Plant Hormone.pdf   12.4MB   33 downloads
    \nChitin Signaling in Plants: Insights into the Perception of Fungal Pathogens and Rhizobacterial Symbionts
    \n  ChitinSignalinginPlants.pdf   179.15KB   27 downloads
    \nThe gist of it is this: the polysaccharide chitin (a form of glucosamine) in the soil is attacked by bacteria which produces the enzyme chitinase. Chitinase in conjunction with Salicylic acid triggers the plant's Systemic Acquired Resistance (SAR) and Hormonal Acquired Resistance (HAR) along with several other biological processes in the plant.
    \nOne of the expressions of this process is the production of the desired terpenes, terpenoids and ketones and we can do this very easily by applying malted barley grain teas (chitinase and other enzymes) along with aloe vera extracts for its Salicylic acid. 
    \nThere are at least a dozen growers on this board who currently apply this combination and each and everyone can attest to the explosion of 'resin' production in the final weeks of flowering.
    \n
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------