An American Dream - White Picket Fences and Marijuana in the So Cal Sun

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by BrassNwood, Sep 8, 2013.

1. I assume it's a fluorescent fixture.. If so point blank distance nearly touching is acceptable for established rooted plants.. Just taken I keep my CFLs about a foot away from the cloners dome but that is more for the heat they produce in my cold garage.. Fresh cut un-rooted cuttings don't need or want to much up close light until they get some root on..

2. Hope you don't mind my dropping your name and links to this thread for those discussing purple traits and the causes;  thought you might have some insight  to share or at least could offer the conditions yours have appeared under.  I know the common perception is that it's motivated by cold but your location seems to cry against that theory.

3. #2023 BrassNwood, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    Not at all Skippy.. Send them round if you like.. I may not have many answers but we'll have fun and who doesn't like a lively round of chat.. I have to say the purples out number the stay greens this time of year and especially as they finish.. Don't be fooled by watching the rose parade it can and does get at least frosty in the wee hours of the morning a few times per month even this close to the beach..
      I'll get some current pictures of Dark Goblin From SG as it's the most striking in coloration with 3 very different expression of the 3 females I've got running.. Number 5 is like RHSS in her going totally black as she nears harvest in cool temps.. DG-3 has stayed full green with zero hint of any purpling.. But Number 2 is the one everybody loves.. Bright green foliage with deep purple centers it's got the flavor, the stone and just plain incredible bag appeal.. In the case of numbers five and two it does take the change in temps to bring out the purpling as neither showed it at end of summer harvest..

4. #2024 BrassNwood, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    Girl Scout Cookies gets Harvested
    This poor Chernobyl has been in the trunk forgotten for several day without apparent harm..
    Darth Vader gets taken down
    Amending with Alfalfa EWC and some soil acidifier
    Purple Kush
    Dry enough to jar
    Started another batch of hash oil for caps
    Decarb
    GSC
    6 plants filling the just vacated spots
    Trays 1&2 out for some fresh air
    Another 75 caps or so churned out
    5 jars filled with harvest for curing
    And 5 more winter plants harvest, trimmed and hung

So I really need to change my spoon licking habits.. It's not that I was so outright high from licking the plastic knife after stirring each round.. I was doing just fine till I had the 2 tokes of hash at 420 PM.. Knocked me right the hell into orbit.. Was about 45 min of downright edge of your seat tripping yer brains out.. Silly humans !!!

Attached Files:

5. Woody this being my first go with smart pots i wonder if i'm drowning my plnts..i wtrd early this morn and now they've got a shriveled look to them..my first thought is too much wtr not enough air..if it were hydro i'd think ph imbalance..i pulled the one out of the sun..i'm still using rain wtr so i'm confused what this is..any clue? wilting 001.JPG wilting 002.JPG

6. No direct experience with them Doc so your guess is as good as mine is..

Harvesting continues with Both Manatuska Valley Thunder Fucks coming down
    MVTF
    Blue Dream in the ring was done
    This pic is out of place but I took the Afgooey about this size and shape
    The other Blue Dream.. Both suffered main cola cuts killing the top of the main.. Looked like Caterpillar to me
    BD
    Box 1
    Box 2
    Boxes 1&2
    The few still unplanted straggles from the solar zone and the uncertain start of the few of my own strains I managed to save from the latest round of cloning disasters.. I'm still in the dark as it were as to just when the solar lights shut off so this group may still flower if I don't take additional steps ASAP to get more veg space worked out..

Attached Files:

7. I'm going to go ahead an TP them tonite into the sip's and see if that helps ..they may be root bound as roots are out the bottom into the perilite..thumbs are crossed

8. Doc, if you haven't done that tp yet, I'd hold off. If you over watered....which it looks like you may have, the smart pots will dry out faster than a SIP....by far.

Let her dry out till the soil starts pull away from from the fabric when you move it. Then tp if you feel you still need to. Besides, unless you're super careful, that soil is still wet enough to fall apart jacking up that root ball.

Just my .02

9. 3D's i wasn't going to peel the smart pot off to tp but put the whole pot into the sip the way Msil does it

10. Got the tp done..they'll get no direct sunlight for couple of days ..right now they're in the lndry rm getting 300w from cfl's..at 7am i'll bring them upstairs..i used r/o to wtr them in not rain wtr..nd to chk ppms n ph on it before i use it again..just to be prudent..those leaves got that messed up in 24 hrs on very healthy plnts..strange early morn tp 001.JPG early morn tp 007.JPG early morn tp 008.JPG

11. 9 hrs after tp they are looking better in moderate indirect sunlite idk whhy but i'll take it
    9 hrs after tp 001.JPG 9 hrs after tp 003.JPG

12. Dark Goblin Black formerly #5
    Dark Goblin Purple AKA 20
    DGP
    DG Green AKA 3
    DGG
    DGB down for trimming
    DGB trimmed out
    DGG
    The other DGG
    Trimmed out
    Blue Dream twice, Dark Goblin 5 and 3s
    The back row.. Lot of strains
    DGB in the yard had good lighting so I took some high resolution pictures..
    DGB
    DGB
    DGB

Attached Files:

13. What are daytime/nighttime temps?

14. #2034 mrsilly, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  15. Msil ain't it weird how it doesn't seem that busy..guess cause its a labor of luv..i luv being occupied in my garddens as theres always something to do..btw next time i see you i hope you'll take two screens for your grow..save you lots of labor and me space..

16. #2037 BrassNwood, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Msil who is Elemental? i lose track is that Sprk?

18. Amazing that such relatively mild temps seems to color them up;  any comparison shots of same strains during warmer weather?

19.   Search doesn't seem to be working this morning and I'm to stoned to do a manual search.. Lets just say that none of the very colorful strains show this in September when I take that end of summer harvest.. Fall, Winter and Spring runs all show full colors if the strain has those characteristics..
      One of the other SoCal growers was saying that just using ice on top of the soil will trigger the coloring but I'll have to inquire for more detailed info..
      It's warmed up over the December temps.. We did get some nights in the high 30s and even a frosty morning or two