Are atheists smarter than the religious?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by DjSmokeBowls, Sep 5, 2013.

• Like Like x 2
  1. " The study came under criticism from Gordon Lynch of Birkbeck College, because it did not account for complex social, economical, and historical factors."

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don't know. 

[​IMG]

Implying that being an atheist is a direct connection to intelligence is ego. There are many intelligent religious thinkers in the world.

• Like Like x 1
  3. By the way, Atheism is a religion, just like Christianity, Islam and Buddhism.

• Like Like x 2
  4. #5 DjSmokeBowls, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013

That study was trying to determine if high intelligence leads to atheism. That was only one of many studies that still indicate there is a correlation between high intelligence and non-theism even if the relationship isn't causative.

Can you read, in my 2 sentance post I said "It doesn't mean religious people are dumb or all atheists are smart just that there is a correlation."

Atheism is most certainly not a religion. As it is sometimes said; saying atheism is a religion is like saying not collecting stamps is a hobby.

• Like Like x 3
  5. LMFAO Ron Paul img dropping? The Fuck outta here XD
    Hahaaha

6. Being that ignorance is bliss all us atheists are foolish.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It's true. That is why I've always been naturally smarter than all the other shmucks around me. I think people that practice polytheistic beliefs are probably more creative, morally good, and down to nature. As for monotheists... Shmucks. Christians: your religion is a compilation of moral standards converted into stories. Many of the stories are just different versions of parts of Greek mythology. The bible is just a bunch of allegories for the aspects of morality, not that that's necessarily a bad thing, I give props to the writers (who spoke another language that was very poorly translated into what you call the bible) for their creativity. Many of your book's teachings (like the age of the earth, resurrection of Jesus, immaculate conception, etc.) have been proven false (by carbon dating, zombies aren't real, and a chicks egg can't be fertilized by a sperm if there's no sperm, etc.), so therefore you are less intelligent than me, atheists, and the fly that's stuck in my window sill).
    Judea: I don't know enough about your religion to say, but you guys seem to be pretty smart.
    Islam: you guys are pretty cool, other than the bombings. I guess id say you were pretty cool. I don't know too much about your religion, but you helped shape the idea of a democracy. I like that.

To summarize, I'd say athiest are generally the smartest, polytheists are second, then Jews, then all the others are somewhere far below.

8. Doesn't really surprise me...I find it so sad when someone goes from athiest to religious. :(

Then again I have no problem with someone expressing their spirituality as long as there is no impedance on myself.

9. Atheism is a religion, it's just not a theistic religion. Read a book.

10. LAWL LAWL, don't contribute to the discussion then.. Fuck outta here. You must be religious.

11. #12 The Architect, Sep 5, 2013

I wouldn't say us atheists are more intelligent... Maybe more logical.

Definition of Logical: of or according to the rules of logic or formal argument.
    Definition of Logic: reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
    Definition of Intelligence: the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

For real.
    Extension of self is the mindset.

To be quite honest this isn't a topic to discuss to frankly here, because there are those that smoke and those that are experienced.

You know what I mean...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k66ED403Al8

13. Religion: "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power"
    You read a book, the motherfucking dictionary!

• Like Like x 1
  14. This begs the question... Are YOU experienced?

15. Oh cool, you can google "religion definition."

There is a difference between a monotheistic religion and a non-theistic religion. One has a god, one doesn't, but they are both RELIGIONS.

That's neither here nor there...
    But I guess you could say 25i am.

This is going off topic though, this concept is quite big in my life right now.
    A few friends are going hard on the Jesus hype and it's distressing particularly because of who is concerned.

Guess I'll just read them some Kropotkin and pray, a he he he.

17. #18 RippedMonk, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

I like you Twistedd, we've crossed paths and shared ideas many times, but this is the most ignorant thing I believe you have ever said.  You are smarter than that. :(

Atheism is a religion like non golfing is a sport. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  18. #19 lazytoker, Sep 5, 2013
    At least one study has found that Atheists tend to know more about religion in general than religious people. I'm not sure if that was mentioned in that article (can't read it now).

19. A knowledge seeking atheist, sure, but there a many ignorant atheists out there. Many of them try to undermine religion and believers.

• Like Like x 1