BEWARE of counterfeit Pax Vaporizers.....

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by lwien, Sep 3, 2013.

1. My roommate has a pax. I do now, but it took a few tries to get a real one. Without his familiarity I probably would have been screwed with a non-functional p.o.s. I know this information is available in part on Ploom's site, but there were quite a few areas my roommate and I found that could help out some ppl on this board. 

purchased in January from ebay seller "igogogadgets####" forget the end of the name. Immediately after buying now @ $190 for a new pax the listing was deleted from eBay to remove most of the record. I returned it for a full refund, but am pretty sure the seller knew it was fake, bought it for a very low price and intentionally priced it right under the real pax listings. I wasn't very aggressive in pursuing the seller as the dispute was closed once refunded.

differences:

-back of box, below the pic of the pax. The shadow is much darker on the fake (green) box.

[​IMG]

Real green box:

[​IMG]

-inside of user manual, the fake one has glossy pages while the real one is a matte-like finish. also the fake manual has odd inconsistencies in the images (see #1) and missing arrow right of #2.- inside of user manual, real pax manual has "While Pax is cool" in regular font, the fake has it in bold p.7
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- box packaging, cardboard piece that holds unit up top. The real one has the pax "X" logo imprinted on the cardboard, the fake does not.

[​IMG]

- back of the unit, fake one is held together with a philips head screw, the real one is an allen wrench input.

[​IMG]

- sterilizing wipes.. the real ones have Ploom logos, the fake do not. Fake ones also have a recycle logo on the top right, real wipe packs don't.

[​IMG]

- below the mouthpiece on the unit, the real one has a serial number while the fake does not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Pax "X" logo on the front of the unit.. real one is aligned in an "X" while the fake one is not aligned properly and looks like an X was split in the middle so the corresponding lines of the X don't align.

[​IMG]

real black next to fake green

[​IMG]

- charger.. real one says "Ploom switching ac/dc adapter Model: G101U-090130EW-1" fake one says "SWITCHING AC/DC ADAPTER Model: G101U-050200EW-1"

[​IMG]

- functionality.. as noted by Ploom's own website the colors are different for heating, ready, charging, etc.  Probably most importantly the fake pax's light stopped working after a few weeks of use.

My recommendation - Pax/Ploom is a solid, reliable vape. Buy used from an individual or buy new from Ploom. Clones are routinely being sold in the US to unaware people & generating some nice profits for the fake sellers while undermining the finances of the people who actually designed and brought the product to market. Respect Ploom & buy used from individuals or new through them.

2. Dear Born Again Stoner,

Thank you for sharing your remarkable insight on Pax products.  I recently purchased a Pax from China.  I have read and seen videos about fake versions.  However my fake Pax is an incredible counterfeit.  Physically it is an almost identical copy.

Using your demonstration to determine originality, I was perplexed as my fake Pax passed the test.  Except for one little deviance.  I.e inside of user manual, real pax manual has "While Pax is cool" in regular font, the fake has it in bold.

I would like to hear your opinion on my Pax's authenticity.  The manufacturer in China insists that their product is an original.

3. People say, buy it from eBay, it's the same thing and it cost less, not true. I buy a lot of gadgets for all my hobbies mostly online. When I want a genuine product I pay the price from authorized dealer. I bought my solo from the authorized dealer asking price, compare to eBay much lower price, just to be sure I got the real one. Products coming from china and much cheaper more likely are copied. Some will last and some don't and most likely no warranty. Don't get me wrong I buy a lot of products coming directly from china but those are cheap and disposable items. I'm planning to buy the pax and will definitely buy from authorized seller especially now you've shown the difference.

4. Also the fake pax's make you remove the mouth piece to charge the unit. A genuine PAX you just turn it upside down and sit it on the charger.

5. Buyers beware even with this guide it's still not completely safe to buy them from a non-authorized seller. I just received a Pax with a blurred image on the box, user manual is glossy instead of the matte finish like from Ploom. Though on page 5 the arrow is on the page and on page 7 the words "While Pax is Cool" are in bold, oddly enough though the user guide on my for sure real Pax is has also the same words in bold on page 7. Strange though my charger is for sure from Ploom(it has the logo) and my Pax came with the Cleaning Kit from Ploom but it is the one you order from their site and not the one included with the Pax(it doesn't have the crease marks). Biggest part why I think that the Pax I bought is still a legit Pax is that it has the Serial number under the mouthpiece, the colors are spot on with my original Pax and it has the hex screw on the back instead of a Philips. I will check to see if it goes into party mode, one of the purposely bought knockoff Pax I have does not go into party mode. I think I may have a used Pax(seller sold it to me new) but as long as it is the real deal I have no problem. Just hope it goes into party mode. One of my best past times to start the process of getting blazed. I will post pictures up later once I get on my PC.

Sent from my i5 using Tapatalk

6. Reviews like below are common tactics among those peddling fake Pax units. Don't pay attention and don't buy them off eBay unless you know the seller to have a valid, used model. 

There are many different companies and shops using some combination of stolen design or copied materials. If you want to spend money on a vape that has no warranty or even traceability to the manufacturer, do so. It's not advisable though. 

Good luck-

7. How about stop trying to save 20 bucks and just buy from authorized sellers?

8. BornAgainStoner - thank you so much for all the help & advice on how to tell a genuine from a counterfeit. Very useful info! I live in the UK where Ploom do not sell, so it's even harder to guarantee an original over here. I would go straight through Ploom if I could! However, I did get a PAX last week through an American based website with distribution in the UK. It's these guys if you're aware of them? : http://www.namastevapes.co.uk . They insisted on the phone that they are a genuine Ploom seller and say they get asked all the time. Once it arrived I gave it a full look-over using your guide & it seems to have passed every test, apart from one. In my user guide (which is matte, not glossy & has all the arrows on the diagrams looking accurate), "While PAX is cool" is written in bold. You have said that is a sign of a counterfeit model. But my PAX passes every other check, looks genuine & I think also iKeablr mentioned the same thing on this forum thread. Are you sure that it is not supposed to be in bold? Everything else seems legit, just want to be sure as I know there are so many fakes out there! Thank you so much for your help & in advance for your response - much appreciated dude!

9. Hey Winchesta - Honestly I'm not sure if yours is fake or real. Too hard to tell, plus my old roommate is the pax jedi, I just documented our research. Since you've already bought it just try and test it as thoroughly as possible. Best wishes-

10. hey bornagainstoner my i bought a pax from a local vape store, the guy told me it was a clone, it looks very similar to yours. i was just wondering, what's the functionality and efficiency on the pax clones? should i return it because it is poorly made? or is it still decent quality? it was $162.50 after tax and works but worried about it breaking, please respond needed a vape because i can't smoke

11. #12 John Five Eagles, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    I cannot figure out how to respond to individual messages. Must be the smoke in my eyes. So I too bought a PAX vaporizer. I was in a lot of pain the day I bought it and the guy had two models a 30 dollar and the pax so I  grabbed that one and just went home because I  was so incredibly ill that night. I did manage to use it and man alive does this stuff ever work on the pain. Why in God's name is this stuff still banned. WTF is wrong with this world. I have been on synthetic narcotics for 5 years now after i lost my leg in an accident and I have a lot of phantom limb pain which amazingly enough is easily dealt with through the use of medical marijuana. I checked the article and my PAX is perfect according to your guide but the magazine guide book of course had the issues you mentioned. Is this info sanctioned by the original manufacturer as I am wondering if at one time all the materials were made in the US then got switched to China. The only difference that the owner of the store told me was he could sell them for 250 to 300 dollars Canadian with a 10 year warranty or he sells them straight out with no warranty for 150. I am on disability and I have little savings and the doctor said he would only  sanction giving me a prescription if I bought one of 3 vaporizers- it was a strong suggestion. The pax was the cheapest on the list. I don't have the foggiest idea how to go about creating a lifestyle with medical marijuana as one of the pillars supporting the platfrom of analgesia. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. BTW has anybody up here in Canada checked out the prices on marjuana from one of only 16 providers? Very expensive for people on disability. The average CBD weed is about 5 dollars a gram after subsidy and the better what would you call it sativa and indica strains, and they average 10 to 15 dollars per gram. Those are street prices so I kind of feel that this is a friggin scam. No? What are your thoughts? I  cannot even grow my own. I could use it every day then. As it is get ready for this, I buy 3 to 5 grams a month and have to pick the worst days and use it then. A lot of work goes into that as I  plot my pain journal in an Excel spreadsheet and I have rows and columns for every aspect of pain from weaqther to activity to stress to where I  am... I plot out for 5 years now which days will statistically be worse and then try to shoot for keeping my pot around for those days. Ever try to keep stash for a long time. I  cannot do it. I know I  got weed in the house and  I will want to use it because I have pain every day.