When did you become an adult?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Jumpfruit, Sep 2, 2013.

1. I just turned 20 and I can feel myself slowly becoming more reaponsible. Not quite there yet but its getting there

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Swear I thought you were like 19/20

I'm a college student I work and have a place but I do not consider myself an adult at allllll

3. #23 Ryan1411, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
    Lol...well I don't know what the qualities of being an 'adult' are. You can be responsible, but a virgin. A hard worker, but a drug addict. Moral, but childish. Mature, yet living in mom's basement. 

I'd say I have a lot of qualities of being an adult, but I also have many qualities of a child. I do know one thing for sure though: Becoming an adult is not a pursuit in itself for me. I strive to maximize pleasure and minimize dis-pleasure. If, in my journey of this pursuit I am deemed an adult, that's cool. But if not, that's cool too.

4. #24 Hello there!, Sep 3, 2013
    I think it will be after I 1) have the ability to make whatever decision I please regarding myself, and in the future, my family; 2) want to make the decision for a combination of my family's, as well as my, best interests.

While making those decisions, I will try and teach my children to question it for themselves, and play some Socrates with them.. until they get too smart for that.. then, forgoing any change in my intellectual/mindfulness skills, they will have become better than their father. And on that day.. all I will be able to do from then on is keep their 'basic techniques' sharp... and learn from them :smoking:

At that point, I think I will feel like an adult. What else is left to do after raising your own child to become an adult?

Become a grandparent? :smoking: :smoking:

5. I became an adult the day I saw Mufasa get trampled to death.

I think I grew a second heart after reading this.

7. I'll let ya know

8. Not until I was 30. Some blades may argue that I still have not grown up.

9. #29 Sammyy, Sep 3, 2013
    im always gonna be young at heart. but around 22-23 then from there I got my shit together and been doing the "adult" thing ever since

10. Mentally I wasn't there till bout 21

11. At 12 years old caught in an uncompromising situation with a teachers wife, he shot me in the leg, the police came and I was charged as an adult, please don't think the world runs by your American rules, its a mean world out there eh Assad....?

12. 2 -3 years ago when I started to drive to work :(:(

But I'm a cool adult. I still party and party I shall

13. I think being an adult means making it on your own, especially financially.

I got kicked out at 17 and made it work.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I became an Adult when I found out my girlfriend at the time was pregnant...I became responsable at my job and provide for my son (of whom I have custody of)...I only live now to provide for him

Sent from my LGL75C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. 21 so I guess I'm an adult. I'm still working on who I want to be and what I want to do when I "grow up" so I guess it's still a work in progress. But you should enjoy being young. I wished my young years away but I now see that was a mistake so I'm just trying to enjoy this rough part of life. I honestly can't wait to see where I'm at in about 10 years or so, it's exciting and scary

16. I grew up a lot from the ages of 17-20...would I call myself an adult, yet?
    No.  At 21 I still feel I have a lot to learn and a lot to experience.
    In another 4 or 5 years I will feel more like an adult and less like a teenager.

Hopefully.

:)

17. I'm just a big kid

18. do we ever truly grow up?

even the most disciplined people i know still act like a child from time to time in their own little way. shit i know someone with their phd and he acts like a kid sometimes.

i know i didn't start maturing till about 17-18. enough so to where my friends would comment on how i'm so much more calmed and relaxed then i used to  be. but i'm still figuring things out, i'm getting the impression there's just some things in this world i will never come to understand. and i'm okay with that.

19. When I bought my house. My days of 0 responsibilities ended and it set me on a path of disappointment and loneliness, which I assume is what adulthood is all about :confused_2:

20. I dont exactly think i fully became an adult at this point but when i was 12 and had a tumor, i grew up within seconds.

But i would say the day i entered high school was when i accepted my actions carry responsibilities