Preserving the fruits of your labor

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by doinYoda, Aug 31, 2013.

1. For you pickled pepper lovers take a quart mason jar and place a few cloves of garlic in the bottom. I like to use pepperonica peppers or banana peppers. Take the peppers one by one and stab them with an ice pick to create several holes in the pepper. Pack them in the jar tightly. Place 2 teaspoons of pickling salt in the jar and fill it to the top with apple cider vinegar and place the jar in the fridge. After a couple hours top it off and seal it and leave it in the fridge for 3 to 4 weeks and they are ready to eat and very crunchy . You can add a jalapeno for extra heat. These go great with a cold sandwich. Enjoy :gc_rocks:

2. @[member="poacherjoe"] Thanks for sharing the pickled pepper info, sounds delicious! :)

I've been making a lot of pickles lately, as well as dehydrating herbs, flowers, and a few other things including carrot tops. 
    carrot tops.jpg

On the pickle front: bread & butter chunks and sandwich slices, dill - spears, chunks, halves, whole, also hamburger and kosher dill. This is a portion of the pickles, I have more on the counter, some that won't be ready for processing for a couple weeks, a couple jars in the fridge, and some in the pantry. lol
    lots of pickles.jpg

ATM, I have three buckets of pickles fermenting - traditional fermented dill, and deli dills.
    Fermenting pickles.jpg

I thought I'd share a pic of an area that I've been stashing some of my canned & dehydrated goodies.
    jars of goodies.jpg

On an exciting note (for me anyway), @[member="Yoda"] bought me a present! :yay: Thanks Yoda! :love:
    Excalibur, 9 trays with timer and temp control. :cool:
    dehydrator 1.jpg
    dehydrator 2.jpg

This is definitely going to make things easier when all of the peppers are coming in, and then some! :hello:

Thanks for looking everyone, happy preserving :smoke:

3. Nice thread! Thanks for posting. I used to have a veggy garden in the 70's. Tomatos got worms and I did not eat those. But i do remember eating some of the most delicious snap peas i've ever had in my life.

4. 9 tray Excalibur you lucky bastard! time for banana chips!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just a quick note:

Now is a good time to buy canning supplies from retailers that carry a large stock of canning supplies seasonally. Check places like Meijer, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowes, etc...In my area Meijer currently has canning supplies BOGO free. If you're purchasing pectin, citric acid, seasoning mixes for sauces, don't forget to check the best by date before purchasing. 

I'm off to can another batch of pasta sauce and some green beans. :yummy: I'll do an update when things slow down a bit. I didn't want you guys to miss out on the end of season clearance sale if you weren't aware of it. Hope everyone is having a great weekend! 

• Like Like x 1
  6. #66 Anatman, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    I think we just all saw a ghost... :eek: :bolt:

And thanks for the tip!

7. I feel like a preserving machine the past few months. Jars of canned goods are stacking up, as well as jars of dried herbs, peppers, chili's, etc...I don't have totals atm, when I do, I'll post them.

Here's some of what we've put up this season. :)

corn.jpg

fermented deli dills.jpg   pasturized deli dills.jpg

jalapeno salsa.jpg

ketchup.jpg

kentucky pole beans.jpg

serrano fire salsa_mixed berry jam_corn salsa.jpg

roasted garlic pasta sauce.jpg

Part of my canning jar stash. :p

jars.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. #68 dlsmokes, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
    Damnit, i need to come to your store....oh wait. That's the stash?

Killing the game. I went to buy cans for flowers, and they told me you bought um all. 😜

So question.... When I do start preserving, does everything have to go in vinegar? For example, your corn... 😒

• Like Like x 1
    :laughing: Well...my pantry could be a store, we can call it 'Doin's store'. :p :laughing: 

I pressure canned the corn, and green beans. Both are low acid foods that require pressure canning. There's no vinegar in either one of them, just veggies and water. :) 

10. Ahhhhhh, i see. Good cause, I dont think corn, and vinegar go together.

It doesn't sound very good to me either. lol

12. Great job Yoda!! I inherited all of my families canning tools. Our family had 8 kids to feed so back in the 40's and 50's money was tight so we had 13 acres that we farmed for fruit and vegetables and cow's milk. Money was hard to come buy so preserving was the way to go and the quality and taste is  a hell of a lot better than what you buy or get in the stores. One interesting thing that I have is cases and cases of old purple mason jars most of which are marked with "Presto" These always get used for my buds just to add a little nostalgia and taste to the curing process!!!

13. My garden is going strong. I'll be canning stuff in no time!

14. im supposed to jam this weekend i got like twelve plus cups of berries to use out of my garden and its still producing.

Sent from deep in my subconscious.

15. Mmm just finished making this batch of homemade pickles, with everything harvested right out of the garden, the jars in order from left to right hot, fire hot, and dill.
    but they all have some dill in em, letting them cool on the counter and then going into the fridge for a couple days :D

theses pickles are bomb, better than anything you ever buy in any store, hands down dopest pickles you will ever eat. :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. 14 packages of garlic scape pesto for the freezer :yummy: :yummy: :yummy:
    DSCN9295.jpg

The bag to the left of the pesto is the fibrous parts the scapes. I'll be freezing them to use when making soup stocks. I may end up dehydrating some to see how it fares for use as a gourmet type 'garlic powder', not sure yet. lol

17. Pickled beans, garlic and carrots. Delicious, fresh, ca image.jpg nned salsa.

• Like Like x 1