the running thread

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by THEeric, Aug 30, 2013.

1. I live an hour from Seattle in a cozy little town with tons of forests. I do trail running exclusively, and run 5 times a week.
    The minimum I go is 5km, I don't like to pass the 10 kilo mark often though

2. #22 THEeric, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
    so who uses a pedometer? i want to buy one, not just for running but also for playing basketball, i am beyond curious about the total distance travelled while i play.  any suggestions? 

just did 6 miles, which felt amazing after i only did somewhere around 2-2.5 saturday. what i'm also curious about is what my average speed is, and top speed

3. Ran 2 mi on the trails today. I hit my first 6:30 from striding it out, ran a 7:30 on the way back.
    It started pouring after I got inside lol

4. 2 miles 14 minutes ?

Sent from my iPhone thebruders Xbox live username

5. Yeah. I also saw an owl on the run.

6. Av been running a couple of months now I was 13st8 and now am 12st my best 2 mile is 20m21s I'd love to get it down to 16 or 14 is it best to do little runs often or longer runs like every 3 days ?

7. Tore my achilles in April, surgery May 3rd, started running like a month ago or maybe 6 weeks ago... I run 6-7 miles now when I run (twice a week) and at 8 minute pace usually... night runs outdoors = my shit. Music all I need, though sometimes I run high. 

8. My first six weeks I did 5ks every day while listening to music. I only took one day as a rest day.
    I figured out that listening to music was helping me keep pace, but the pace I kept was slower than I'd have liked. Once my stamina had adjusted it was rain season - so I couldn't run with music. It turns out that it made my mile times go from eight minutes to seven minutes.

After that I stopped doing 5ks and have switched to running four or five times a week, with one seven k run and the rest ony being a mile or two.

Once you hit your plateau from running distance and not seeing increased times is when you need to run hard and short. Some days I aim for less than a 6:30 and only do one mile.

I posted on the show your abs thread and got a lot of shit for what I do to my body, actually. But I wouldn't do anything different. The beginning is the hardest.

Also, look up the POSE running technique. That helped me a lot as well. The jist of it is that you lift your legs instead of pushing off with them.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1379989921.426163.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1379989947.588792.jpg

My calves got quite a bit more defined since then too :D

9. Bought a pair of AirMax 180 3 weeks ago bubble in the heel popped today cheers nike glad I bought your product

10. That sucks. I got a pair of nike air maxes when they first came out for 60 bucks, only started to use them this year. About 150 km on these? ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1380051802.835059.jpg

11. did two miles today at a quicker pace, finished in 14:45 which... isn't great but i don't think its bad? damn near threw up afterwards too I think I've been a little sick lately.  need a new pair of running shoes (which i've been doubling as basketball shoes).. i hate shopping for shoes.

how fast can you guys do 2 miles? 

I used to run 2 miles in 10min. 30sec. about 3-4 years ago back in HS, probably somewhere between 13-14min. right now. A gym facility at my job is opening up soon I going to start getting back in shape soon.

13. 2 miles in 20m 22seconds is my best but I really want to do it in 16 mins that is what my eldest son does it in b nice to know at 37 am keepin up with a 16 year old

14. Gna look online for some new running trainers today my post a few up see wot you guys think I shud buy before I spend my money

15. Seen a few pairs Adidas probably not gna go with nike again will post when I get home from the gym see what you guys recommend

16. running a half marathon in the AM training for a Marathon

17. just did 2 and a half (ish) miles in the rain and loved it. did the same route last night too and my calves are killing me right now (in the best way possible) 

thats a lot. 

18. ran this morning around 9am.  haven't had enough exercise with the holiday and working a ton of hours (perfect day saturday for running but i worked all day) so i snuck one in this morning, nice sunshine but the temp was only 28.. still, beautiful! some snow on the ground still and the streams were all semi-frozen.  anyways ran 4 miles and i'm sure it was under 30 minutes.

couple weeks ago i pushed myself up to 8 miles, i'd like to duplicate that again soon

19. #39 well highdrated, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
    ran about 2.2 miles to the ocean. with a nice uphill twice.
    it was like 10 at night and very dark and quiet... pretty epic, considering i was a little high.
    just sat there for 15 min and ran back.

i switched to forefoot and minimal shoe running, my calves are still bothering me a little. 

20. do you run on the sand? i feel like i'd do that every time if i had the opportunity.  there was some incredibly dense fog around the last couple days, but i played basketball thrice yesterday and today so no running for me :( though it sure would have been neat running through the woods (i use this term lightly here) in the fog.  

definitely on the to-do list for the winter is go running in a snowstorm