the running thread

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by THEeric, Aug 30, 2013.

1. how far did you run today? how was it? where do you run? any cool details....

i last ran somewhere around 4.5 miles (the trail has mile markers but i went a little past 2 before i turned around) wednesday evening on the des plaines river trail in IL (runs pretty much through the whole north suburbs of chicago).  i was actually thinking of doing 6 miles which i've not done ever, but i damn near ran straight into a deer and stopped for a second and just decided to turn around and go back.

it was pretty awesome seeing the deer, she was right on the path i was 10 feet away before i saw her.  it wasn't scary or anything but my heart sure skipped a beat :eek:  lol, thought about approaching her but in the end we both just slowly backed away, i waved and jogged off 

so how far do you guys typically go? i just started a few months ago but i play basketball 4 or 5 days a week which is loads of cardio in itself.  ideally i'd like to push myself up to around 10 miles.

2. #2 suplove, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013
    i haven't ran outside in a good 5 days because of this crazy heat :( i hate the treadmill.. anyway today i did my usual 3 miles in 21 mins before lifting. good luck on the 10 miles! just continue to push and work hard like you already do and it'll be easy before you know it. 

3. 6 miles yesterday! i even passed up a couple people on the trail and left  them in the dust.  i never woulda thought this guy would run 6 miles..i was kinda hoping it would rain while i was out but no such luck.  i really want to go running when there is a thunderstorm coming in/around the area as stupid as that may seem.

4. dam how are you able to run for so long  i die out in a mile. ive never been able to run for long and ive played sports my whole life. FUCK  i want to run long distances

5. I love getting in the zone where you are completely focused on the task at hand but completely mindless about everything in the world. Running in bliss :)

6. When you get tired after the first mile stop and walk for a minute to catch your breath. Then start running again. That will build your stamina.

Sent from deeznutz using Grasscity forum app

7. just got new running shoes today :D im currently trying to get back into running after having a knee injury so I havent been running very high mileage..im gonna try doing a mile hard run later

8. My shins hurt when i run how do i stop that ?

Sent from my X10i using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Type "shin splints" into Google you will get a ton of info. There are stretches that are good to do and you may want to look into a different pair of shoes if you think your current ones could be the culprits. Even nice new shoes will tear you up if they don't fit your feet perfectly.

I love running. I ran cross country 7th - 12th grade and my best time back then was a low 17 minute 5 k here a mile high. I smoked cigarettes for 7 years and combusted my herbs for much longer than that but about 9 months ago I switched to vapor only and have started running again. At first I was only able to do 2 minute intervals of running with 1 minute walk breaks but quickly worked my way up to straight 30 minute runs. I am now able to run up to 10 miles again and I'm feeling great.

Bout to go take a dab and hit the trail :)

10. practice meditation while running :smoke:  just work on that breath and let the air energize you

11. finally ran outside this morning before class. a good 5 miles. fuck u treadmill!

12. I bought sum arch supports for my trainers i ran 2.2 miles in 20 minutes i have only been goin the gym for just under 3 months gone from 89kg to 79kg feeling fitter and looking better . I really want to get into the running i feel good when i start running.it was only 2 months ago i cud bearly run metres without coughing and feeling fucked and yesterday 2.2 miles am making slow and steady progress :)

Sent from my X10i using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. If you want to run far, slow down. Just start out jogging at an easy pace and you'll end up getting faster over time. Build up endurance, then stamina, then speed. Get to where you can jog several miles, then do your miles a little faster, then when you can do that and still have some strength left at the end of your runs, start sprinting the last 100 meters, then the last 200, then the last quarter mile.

14. Become aware of how your feet hit the ground and if you find you're landing heel first "heel striking" try landing "midfoot" (whole foot lands flat and makes contact with the ground at the same time.) If you're heel striking, you're making your shin muscles do way too much work and that's why they hurt. Check out some "good form running" videos.

15. I sprint almost the length of a football field at least 5-10 times on my off day from strength training. I run at the beach when I have the chance so it might be 5-20 miles depending on how I feel.

16. Just really started getting into running. I do usually no less than 3 miles but no more than 6. I'm gunna start to try and do more. I physically can. I just can't dedicate enough time to do it. I'm usually busy.

17. #17 suplove, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013

if you're running loudly, fix it becos if it's loud it's incorrect

and will lead to injuries

land on the balls/tip of your feet

18. I like running to a nice energetic house mix.

19. I ran to the bong and i ran to the refrigerator and then i ran to the bathroom

thanks for the contribution.