Are drugs worth it?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by FatDutchie, Aug 28, 2013.

1. I don't understand this thread so I think I will GTFO. But not before i add 1 more to my post count.......

2. If your feet are wet and your hands are dry, do you ever believe you were stuck in the....sky?

3. just sayin... anytimes someone calls something a circle, that's bullshit because almost everything happens in cycles

If god is always with us, and looking to be found, why wouldn't using a substance that opened the door allow that to happen more directly? Not everyone who uses drugs finds god. Most are not looking anyway. Many drugs will not take you where you need to go. Intention is everything. So to realise that in being opened more directly you get to experience what for you feels like god, or feels like you can be more of who you are, means this question has no real validity.

If you're right, and "God" can only be found in your narrow definitions, then is God worth finding at all?  If you can set the terms of what's possible and where its possible, what's the point?  Because in my way of thinking that's tantamount to tailoring your own reality instead of discovering it.

6. #26 FatDutchie, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013

I'm stating that if people have to use "drugs" (call it a substance) to find god or "go up in the clouds" as @[member="suplove"] says she use's them for, are they worth it?  I just don't feel you understand my point, do to the experience's you have had due to drug use and its hard to argue with people that have taken drugs and "Seen the light."  Intention is everything but you can intend on doing anything you desire with a sober mind and when more and more people start running in circles with the same chat.  Its time to ask the hard questions.

7. #27 esseff, Aug 28, 2013
    They don't have to, but if it helps . . . Entheogen

8. Why does that make god not worthy of being himself?

The most common experience of god with drugs is realising that everything is god including yourself due to certain drugs ability to temporarily soften or remove ego.   

9. I don't know about that. I like to think I learn something new about the world or anything for that matter. I get the whole circle thing but I dont think I ever go back exactly where I was.

10. If god created everything in this universe, and pervades through all he creates-- then why wouldn't smoking god allow you to find god?

I like that.  :smoke:

Bare this in mind too. Anything we do that allows us to experience more of who we are is OK. These things are all 'permission slips' anyway. We don't really need cannabis to make this connection, it opens the door so we can walk through it, but as long as we're walking through it, then until we can do so without needing any help, I'll take my god green for now.

12. #32 Carne Seca, Aug 28, 2013

I think you're the one that doesn't understand the use of mind altering substances to attain enlightenment.  The point isn't finding God.  It's finding yourself.  Without all the self-lies, delusions, and life clutter.  The Native American Church uses peyote as a sacrament.  It's use is not to find God but to purify yourself so that you're more receptive to the spiritual aspect of human existence.  Finding God within ourselves, if you will. 

13. Nah not full of myself. Just don't believe in some magical being chilling up in the clouds is all.

Obviously then that "god" is a subjective construct irrelevant to any objective measurement of worth.

Obviously then that "god" is a subjective construct irrelevant to any objective measurement of worth.

16. oops. that comment was meant for the crazy ones sorry bro

17. what drugs are you even talking about

18. drugs are the cheat codes in life.

19. Extremely misleading title. What is this...?

Drugs are worth it sometimes, and others not so much. A good LSD trip with a couple of my closest friends is ABSOLUTELY worth it. Worth the time, worth the money, worth everything. Otherwise i wouldn't buy the drug... However, if i purchased Meth and got really high on that, i'm fairly certain it wouldn't be worth it.... with the long term physical and mental damage. Which is exactly why i have never purchased that drug or used it.... Because i already know it wouldn't be worth it.

You're asking one question in the title. "Are drugs worth it?" Which i did my best to answer above^

But then you say "If God can be found through the medium of any drug, God is not worthy of being God."

Which, in my opinion, is completely irrelevant to the question. Because a majority of drug users are not in the pursuit of finding God. They're in the pursuit of happiness most of the time. So if you wanted to talk about how drugs only give you a brief moment of happiness until the drug wears off and you go back to being sober, and you wanted to discuss if that is worth the money and what not. THEN i'd understand. 

[SIZE=12.727272033691406px]I also wanted to add that i kind of agree with what you said. If there truly is a God, i doubt we could find him through drug use. Which is precisely why most drug users aren't looking for him, and are instead using the drug for another reason, which would likely make the drug "worth it" for the individual user.[/SIZE]

20. What about decalcifying your pineal gland?