Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Has anyone ever read anything about a generalized C:N ratio for the material that comes off of the floor of the chicken pen?  It's a combination of the stuff from their laying/sleeping area, and their "indoor/outdoor" area, which is covered with a roof but has no sides.  I deep layer the area in question from fall till composting season.

Instead of just winging compost builds like I normally do, I've been messing with the Klickitat County compost mix calculator in hopes of seeing how I might build a pile with an accurately balanced C:N ratio from the get go.  But it's really not helping me out with this kick ass composting material that I have to work with.  It's got so much stuff in it in different ratios, it seems almost impossible to figure, especially when you have no idea of the ratios.  Alfalfa hay mix, wood chips, manure from layer chickens, chicken feathers, errant grain, fruits and vegetables.   Unless perhaps "laying hen manure" on the KC compost calculator takes these "extra" (but rather ubiquitous) materials into consideration?   

I really want to see what it can do for breaking down high carbon leaf/wood materials.  Any ideas?

2. High carbon items just require the extra kick of N and a little more time to break down over items that contain less cellulose. Hit it hard with an N based material so that the compost microbes have plenty to eat while they do their magic. (Woody items - chips/shavings etc)

I can't help with your original question. I "generalize" more than trying to be exact - personally. When I build my heaps I really just layer the C materials with enough N materials to make sure that the critters don't run out of gas, soak it as I build and when it's big enough I'm done until it's time to turn. I try and use somewhere around a 20:1 or close ratio but I'm never exact. And I've not ever needed to be exact.

Hopefully somebody else can help.

J

3. Here in the PNW I turned my compost pile today. I know some of your compost piles are still buried under snow.

[​IMG]

4. Could anyone drop some knowledge on the C:p ratio and it's effect with compost.

I've read that you want it under 100:1 but that seems vague. like would 70:1 be better?

Also what is its importance? does hot composting just halt or slow if your ratio is too high? Or does it just need add P amendments after its completed?

I'm not trying to get stuck in the NPK paradigm, I just can't find much on the subject.

5. All your answers can be had through a little thorough reading in this thread from the beginning....... I know it's probably not the "answer" you were expecting but just as with composting if you can't find the time to read 60 some odd pages of brilliance than you don't really have the time or patience for composting...............in all seriousness though you want to try and keep the ratio as close to 30:1 as possible, too much green and it heats up too much too fast , too much brown and you can slow the process to a crawl potentially becoming anerobic ....there is a whole science behind this and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the knowledge ........Steve bomb bro post that chart for the man please ?

It's all about nutrient sequestration during the degradation process.  If the C:N ratio is too far out of balance one way or the other, we lose carbon or nitrogen to the atmosphere.

Here's some info...

View attachment Compost Fundamentals Compost Needs - Carbon Nitrogen Relationships.htm

More here as well...

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=1705799

7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eXRfynD-M8

8. #1368 Anatman, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Compost pr0n?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Screened 2cubic feet out of 1/2" hardware screen. I definitely need to look into one of those hand-crank tumblers. I saw a good amount of worms squirming around and coccoons. I've got this in a container inside now, going to mix in 1 cup, each, of kelp, neem, and alfalfa (I may chop up some of this comfrey growing, let it dry, and add 1 cup of that, as well). I'm going to also add ~4 cups of rock dust, depending on how I feel and how it looks, maybe more, maybe less. I'll add my lime when i mix it with peat moss.

And I've got some raddish seeds planted in this compost to test.

9. Looking fucking sweet bro......keep it up!

10. Went out and turned my piles today. Was greeted with a hoard of these

[​IMG]

11. #1371 donothinggardening, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
    I've got a new pile going. Consists os autumn leaves, shredded wood, alfalfa pellets, coffee grounds, and native soil. Might get some biochar in there sometime this week. Pile looks really small from the angle of the picture lol

Attached Files:

12. What's your native soil like? Clay rich? Adding any compost?

13. Yes colorado soil is notoriously clayey and rich in calcium carbonate. I added about 10 gallons to the pile. Hoping to encourage the formation of clay-humus complexes like the Luebkes talk about.

And yes, I also added 1 cubic foot of compost to inoculate with composting microorganisms.

It was probably 150+/- gallons of material to start with

14. Nice, hope it work s out. Don't skimp on the nitrogen, my pile was too far from the optimum ratio to be thermophilic I think. Its still composting, but not finished now like it would have been if prepared correctly, I believe my manure was too old and had a much higher carbon ratio than expected.

Live and learn, already gathering materials for my next one.

Pictures taken while squatting make your pile look more impressive, lol.

15. I had the same problem the last time. I've added 100 lbs of alfalfa pellets and at least 5 gallons of coffee grounds so far. Still have another 50# sack of pellets if I decide it needs it lol.

I'm hoping it will be usable by the end of summer and ready to bring a trash can or two inside.

Will probably add a few helpings of comfrey along the way if I am able to harvest as much as I am hoping to this year.

Well let us know how fast/much it heats up. The field across from my house is loaded with dandelions so I'd like to incorporate them in my next pile; it's going to have a much lower input of manure and focus more on the greens.

I'd say you'll be able to get a good amount from the plants you already had, not to mention the loads you got from ol' newbee.

I've only got 20 plants, but I'm really trying to maximize my uses of it (mulching, vermicompost, cooking, salves...) and I'll still be expecting boat-loads to use in my compost. We get, what, like 4 harvests a year?

17. Alright well this one isn't in a yard but I have this weird looking tricomb looking things all over certain compost.

Just wondering if it's safe before it goes on top of some ladies?

It's what's covering the stems.

Attached Files:

Hey bud, I would let it work a little more time before mulching with it if it's in separate location. just my 0.2.

Immediately douse with copious amounts of poison in order to kill such reached forms of soil life...

Or smoke it?  [​IMG]

Have you seen comfrey stalks? LOL!