Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Now bullshit is a whole nother ball game, bullshit is good for the garden ;)

2. So I can just bullshit my way to some dank nugs? Lol

Alright, I don't want to start a pissing match in here or anything buuuut...is animal urine as qualified as mine? I mean, I don't tell my dog to piss on my compost pile but sometimes he gets a shot or two in before I can yell at him.

3. If the animal has a good diet....I don't see why not.. But then again, technically I don't really know for sure and I haven't read up on it! :unsure:

4. Dog piss is pretty much = to human piss. Just that dog's piss contains a bunch of hormones that carry details which are similar to one of our fingerprints. Let fido piss away on the pile. Might want to squirt everything down with a hose/fresh water once in a while...

5. Yo J', when you get around to reading this...

I'm going to try adding amendments to the compost pile that I have left over from last season. I would assume the 4-6 week cycle that we use for our soil builds would suffice for proper cycling time? Do you feel it's necessary to turn amended compost piles that have heated and cooled?

6. All compost piles need to be turned to introduce oxygen into them Waktoo.

7. #747 waktoo, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Yeah, that's a very valid point. I dump my built soils and remix at least once during cycling for that very reason. In retrospect it was a dumb question that I already knew the answer to. Shoulda' thunk on it a bit more, seeing as how I've already built several thermophilic compost piles...

8. #748 Pakalolo, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014

I don't have dogs anymore but when I did you could count on them to piss wherever I pissed. I was the alpha male and they were helping me mark my territory.  :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. helps build up salts though

I've seen too many blades around here use this terminology.  "Salts" that is...

"Salts" are nothing more than cations and anions.  Nutrients in other words...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salts

Chemically or naturally derived, in ionic form, "salts" are nutrients.

11. Not a problem. I can always just flush em out, as long as my runoff ph is in the window.:p:blink::lol:

Twas Ever Thus!

12. Woot! I feel accomplished. I made the first massive heap of the season. My plan is to make one new massive pile every weekend, so this is pile number 1. I will also turn the previous week's compost after making a new pile. So by the end of the summer, I should have several massive heaps to turn. Will be great exercise! I'm working on my neighbor's massive slash pile. This slash pile consists mostly of pine needles, pine cones, twigs, branches and woodchips. I added a bunch of pelletized chicken manure, bokashi pre-compost, and my compost heap from last season. The slash was already decomposing and I found a bunch of huge native worms working the bottom of the pile. By this time next year I hope to have an unlimited supply of compost and vermicompost.

I bought a Smart Pot brand Compost Sak last year, which I am going to use for storing finished compost over the winter. I may use it for making my own amended compost too.

Oh the possibilities!

Attached Files:

Sorry Wak, I haven't peeked in here in a few.

Sure, Id have to say that if 4-6 weeks is good for our soils then it would have to be good enough for our compost, which, by rights, is probably much more active (overall) than our soil.

Re: turning - While I DO believe its very important to turn compost heaps initially, and quite often initially after construction, I turn less and less the older the heap gets. For my own compost, I get all my stuff together, construct the big heap (soaking it as I build) and then turn it several days later. I continue turning it every several days for a few weeks at which point its starting to cool down. At this point I turn once a week, and then every few weeks and then once a month for a couple months. At that point I stop turning it.

For an freshly amended heap I probably wouldn't continue to turn it after I mix the amendments in, just like I wouldn't continue to turn a soil mix after construction. I don't feel that its necessary and could even be detrimental - fungal strands and all that.

sorry for the delay in answering.

j

• Like Like x 1
  14. #754 Jackhererwasright, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
    Hey Jerry and the rest of you GCO composters, i've been lurking on here for awhile and I have been collecting a few leaves and adding them to my compost tumbler. I think I added more brown than green materials and it is not composting very well, but the main problem  is the FLYS! they're breeding like crazy inside this plastic tumbler. Is this to be expected, or is it maybe retaining a little too much moisture?

I also have a ton of little blue flies living in my squash plant and was wondering if there is a good soil drencher I could make w/ organics supplies to suppress the flies? I did just add a layer of nice (bagged) compost as mulch to my veggie smarties so maybe that will be enough to suppress these blue smurf fly fuckers? 

15. ^^ you need neem seed meal (neem cake). Toss a cup into your tumbler and watch the flies die off in a few days. Mix 5 gal of water and a cup of neem meal to make a tea that will kill off veggie bugs.

:huh: ....right guys??

16. haha i would say thanks if you didn't sound so uncertain :p I am a noob though so thanks for reminding me lol anyways I use neem in my amendment mix for cooking soil, but i read to use less than 1% in the soil mix or it could be detrimental to plant growth. I will try out the neem I just will put a thin thin layer on my squash plant over the fresh compost I just mulched it with, and since theres no plants in the compost, I am sure the extra nutrients will help with cycling as well, right? If any other gc members on here have anything to add??

17. You've got the idea. Btw..I don't have any issues with using lots of neem meal so I wouldn't know what harm it does. You can also use crab meal cuz it prevents bugs from shedding their chitin...e'r sum junk! I think others use lavender also. ;) yeah..I ain't got the greatest knowledge down by memory.., but hey.. You can always just wait for some one else to show up! :lol: or google what you need to know? Or start reading through some threads? Or..or...or.... Take that advice and run with it? lol

18. Hi people sorry go bother yous but im in need of help i know im late to plant so im making perfect plans and preparations for next yr but having troubles or cant understand properly wen ive been searching for this question but i really really need help to make good quality soil for my futur weed plants i dont care if i spend a bit on good stuff but i wanna make sure i take good care of my babys :D and good quality soil means better quality pot im just not sure wat soil to purchase and wat to add into it they r gonna be in either plastic garbage bags or big bucket things but i wanna have the proper soil i need and i cant always attend to it so much so ill need to invesg in a water pump or something also if u have any ideas about that please let me know aswell cheers :)

19. Oh and i live in australia to if that helps with my question before ??

20. I know there are blades who live in Australia so you should be able to find what you need.

You don't want to buy soil if you can help it. You want to mix your soil.

Start with a base soil mix of equal parts of sphagnum peat moss, EWC/compost and some type of aeration.

For each cubic foot of your base soil mix add 1/2 cup each of

kelp meal
    alfalfa meal
    neem seed meal
    crab meal
    fish bone meal

Also for each cubic foot of your base soil mix add 4 cups of

glacial rock dust

Mix this up thoroughly and moisten with an ACT

To brew an ACT you get a 5 gallon bucket and a good air pump (mine's 7.6 l/min). Fill with water and add 2 cups of EWC/compost with 3 tablespoons of black strap molasses (unsulfured kind) and drop a couple of air stones into the bucket and turn on the air pump. This needs to brew for about 24 hours.

Then each week for 4 weeks turn the soil inside out to make sure it gets good oxygen into the soil. After 4 weeks your good to go.