What are your favorite short stories?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by ghostonvacation, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Edgar Allen Poe has the best nail bitting stories. Right now I'm reading The Pit and the Pendulum. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. The one about an island where they hunt people. I came here just to ask if someone knows the title of it.

3. [quote name="pickledpie" post="19349942" timestamp="1389849353"]The one about an island where they hunt people. I came here just to ask if someone knows the title of it.[/quote]Is it by EAP?Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Surely not. It's about a ship that gets stuck on an island, or maybe a dude that falls off a ship and ends up on an island with a big mansion. The dude in the mansion goes on a man hunt whenever a dude lands on the island. Nvm It's called The Most Dangerous Game.

5. bump.....

6. Bullet to the Brain by Tobias Wolff. Really beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. Warning, they're pretty fucked up.

Luisa Valenzuela's "The Verb to Kill"

"I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream." Forget who wrote it.

And George R. R. Martin's "A Second Kind of Loneliness."

Harlan Ellison.

9. that's my favorite Poe story. I read it for the first time in like 2nd grade and loved it.

Then the school librarian wouldn't let me check out a book of Poe's stories from the school library.

10. Anything by Guy de Maupassant, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Franz Kafka, Albert Camus.

11. ^Camus-The Stranger,,,The best one to me is a Ray Bradbury story, "All Summer in a Day" ..damn thing made me cry..haha..I just like his style of writing..'The Illustrated Man' is GREAT...a series of stories combined into one.. He's King of the short story.

'Something Wicked This Way Comes' is great too-novel though-great tone-dark, spooky...

12. T.C. Boyle all day.  He has a bunch of books full of short stories: If the river was whiskey, Without a hero, After the plague, and a bunch others.  Lots of novels to---the dude is prolific.  Among his resume highlights are a position at the University of Southern California and a few appearances in High Times.  One of his novels, The Road to Wellville received a film adaptation---it's a crazy historical fiction piece about Dr. Kellogg the corn flake baron, Battlecreek MI, and yogurt enemas.  Enjoy.

13. My new favourite short story anthology is JP Donleavy's Meet My Maker The Mad Molecule.

This... Metamorphosis by Kafka... The Stranger by Camus.

15. Just read a Japanese short story novel, I think they call them mengas. It's a good, short sci-fi read, it's called 'All I Need is Kill'. I found it because I saw the trailer for Tom Cruise's new movie coming out called Edge of Tomorrow which I can't wait to go see in theaters. Like most movies today they're either remakes or based off a book so I checked and what do you know. Read it in one sit-down.

16. White Nights -Dosteyevsky

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. The tale tell heart by Edgar Allen Poe.

18. steven kings nightmares and dreamscapes