US army unable to stem tide of servicemen suicides

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MelT, Aug 20, 2013.

1. #21 3Deez, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
    [quote name="MelT" post="18556508" timestamp="1377159011"]Thanks very much for that, very sobering reading. I think the problem that people have with the military may be due to misunderstanding their role and equating their actions with that of the government. Politicians say go in and clean up X country, the army does so and soldiers are criticised for doing their jobs, as requested. It's pointing the finger at those on the dirty end, not those in power. Here in the UK our army does the bidding of our government whether they like it or not, and thankfully even those at the top are now saying enough is enough. We're continually being lied to about who the supposed enemy is, and it's becoming obvious that we aren't fighting for democracy and nor are we involved in a war on terror. I don't know if you would be interested, but after reading your post above, might there be a need for a continual thread here where servicemen and women get to talk about their experiences and share their thoughts about what it really means to enlist - and to come home again. We here can only gain a measured understanding of these matters from people like you, rather than government PR. Perhaps there are other ex-servicemen here whom it would help to get some of these things off their chests?Again, thanks for your detailed reply,MelT[/quote]Mel, as cool as it would be to get a collective perspective from those with actual experience on the subject, it would end up being for not due to the opposing opinions which as far as I can tell are based on hearsay and internet downloaded stats.I guess this is where Im supposed to get pissed off and go on a stereotypical tirade which would only validate some perspectives. Mongrel, Im not pissed. I dont know where you got that from but okay...after all Im just a Dumdumdummy (before some quick thinker uses that one, hahaha).News flash, the concept of patriotism has evolved. There are MANY servicemen who dont agree with the directiin of the appointed leaders. Why do you think so many of us vets are on the capital's ass about the way things are and have been??? Beleive it or not, our views do in fact have some common thread. If the nonsense could stop in regard to the back and forth commentary, we might just have a break through....imagine that.