Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question about making hard candies with hash oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by zegela, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Hey all.
    I want to use this recipe - 

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cinnamon-hard-candy

The magic ingredient I will use will be hash oil. I just want to know how much oil to use per batch. The yield is a little over 100 candies. Do you think 1 candy will = 1 dose if I use 3 grams of hash oil for the 100?

thanks

2. #2 BadKittySmiles, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
    How much you'll need per dose really depends on yours or your patient's tolerance, as well as the quality of the edible (not smokeable) hash oil and how well it was made. Like many users have learned by purchasing lab-tested edibles from dispensaries, which still don't seem to provide the kick they need; it almost doesn't matter what mg/content an edible has, if it was not made properly! :eek:
     With a properly made oil, you'll want to take a little less than the equivalent of your daily vaping or smoking intake, where well made edibles can generally provide a stronger and longer lasting experience, from less material than you'd put through your bong. Even then, it's still a good idea to start with half a daily dose, just so you can gauge what level you're at in 40 - 60 minutes. If you're new to edibles, the initial onset can be a little 'intense' the first few times!

If you were able to form exactly 100 candies, which requires just the right size candy mold for the recipe, or an accurate hand and small kitchen scale, you'd be hitting roughly 0.03g / 30mg per dose which is a good starting point for a newer or infrequent user, especially if the original 3 grams were extracted nice and cleanly, and made for a fairly pure and high cannabinoid content oil.

For most average to heavy smokers, and for regular edible users, though, that would still be a bit weak and for these people it may take several candies to get the right dose. Which is good. If they are for multiple patients then it's better not to have too many very-small but super-strong edibles, so that (if you're only making the one batch to get by for a while) patients have options, and even high-tolerance users can pick the days they want a more 'functional' experience, and then take a few extra, without it being an excessive amount of sugar, during the times they need something stronger.

The below should help... the first page of the CannaPharm also has a hard candy recipe, very similar to the one you've shared. it details when to safely add your hash oil, and how to blend it without altering the final consistency of the candy.

If you're new to hard candy, you need to make a trial batch first WITHOUT your hash, but while still using the same oil used to make your hash oil. This way you can be sure you know what you're doing and your candy sets up properly! Many people struggle with their first few batches, it takes just enough stirring without stirring too much, and it requires adding the oil at just the right time, but not so late that it can't be blended evenly. I can't tell you how many times folks have come in to the CannaPharm or have emailed or visited, saying they spent a month's worth of their medicine on a batch of candy that wound up crystallizing, crumbling, and turning back into a glorified, medicated table sugar :eek:

Once it's past a certain point it's still useful for gently made syrups and for sweetening tea, coffee and other drinks, but that's about it! (It can usually be used for brownies, but cakes and cookies for instance sometimes flatten if the cooked and crumbled sugar is used.) :)

Hard candy by itself is tricky until you learn to avoid partially dissolved sugar syrup and crystals on the side of the pan, which can crystallize and ruin the batch... this is why newer candy makes should ALWAYS start with a 1 : 3 / 1 : 5 ratio, of either one part rice, corn or other glucose containing syrup, with three to five parts standard cane sugar. If you're already quick and careful when making candy, you can get away with just a drizzle per each cup or two of sugar. If you're still learning, go on the heavy side. :)
     Glucose interferes with and disrupts the crystal chains that can form which can ruin the texture, consistency, appearance and even the flavor of your candy (sauces, frostings and other treats). You can even make your own glucose containing syrup (called invert sugar, this is what I do!) using cane sugar, a splash of water, and simple heat with a citric acid catalyst... the mixture is quickly heated to 236 F over medium high, once there the heat is reduced to low, and it is allowed to rest roughly at that temperature for 5 - 10 minutes. I'll usually remove it from heat all together just before hitting 238 F. This forms long (invisible to the naked eye! :p ) chains of glucose which can interfere with and prevent sucrose crystallization. :hello:

Anyhow, I'm sorry I got off topic a little, I hope it's helpful at least :)

Here are the links! The first page of the below CannaPharm has the hard candy recipe I use; you can adjust the final temperature for different textures, select different flavors, slightly scald a very small portion of sugar syrup first with a little butter and milk to add to your candy base for a traditional and old fashioned caramel, add nuts for a peanut brittle, or seeds and even herbs or edible flowers, and when kept on the cool side, a tsp of agar powder or gelatin can make a mean gummy/taffy-like candy. :)

Learning the simple hard candy recipe inside and out is a GREAT place to start with candy making, it's an awesome way learn how to make all kinds of traditional, to modern and new-fangled candies... and they are MUCH better than anything you can buy at the average grocery store, these days.

Plus, they have weed in them.  :ey: :laughing: :yummy:

If you just have a smoking hash oil at this point and it has not yet been made edible, this is where you'll need to start.

The first is a photo tutorial, then a series of video tutorials that can be used with hash (a sticky-icky bubble hash was used during the video tutorial in addition to three methods for making canna oil with flowers).

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Cannabis Concentrate (Edible & Smokable recipes included... similar to RSO/Phoenix Tears & BHO, but bioavailable & made with food grade/drinking alcohol)

-Medical Grade Cannabis Concentrate-

<span>[​IMG]</span>

If video tutorials are useful for you, here is the World Summit edition of the CannaPharm information....

( You'll be wanting Vol. 1 - & - Vol. 4. but I'll also include the previews, and the cuttings segment and hash demo..... the extra time-lapsed footage of little seedlings germinating and growing over the course of a day, obscuring the little GrassCity hello sign in a matter of seconds is pretty neat to watch, too. :yay:)

Cannabis World Summit  : BadKittySmiles Headlines!

Both Rick Simpson and I were the headlining 'star speakers' of the Cannabis World Summit, the Summit is an annual, 10-day, free and informative event, available to all members of our community who are interested in cannabis, in its medical applications, and in what the major players in the community are up to. :)

Nine of the ten days featured three or more speakers for each day, Rick and I were asked to share the Big 4/20 day of the Summit alone due to the volume of content we provided the community, and to our track records with treating and even curing cancer, as well as other illnesses, with our medical oils! My medical oil video tutorials, Rick's interview, and his documentaries can be found on Day 5 / 4-20-2013, along with some bonus footage from Rick.

Here ya go!

BadKat's CannaPharm : The Cannabis World Summit Edition...

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 1: Decarboxylation" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEa9a1riXl8

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 2: Flowering & Revegetated Clones" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKeEwMSgb4

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 3: Hash Machine Demo" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shrUhcPLqb0

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 4: Medical Grade Oil" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v6wKwQO6Ko

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 5: Powerful Topical Bone Bars" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHr1m5ZQA0

BadKittySmiles World Summit Preview.. Medical Grade Canna Oil, Hash, Edibles, Cloning and more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffzSeSfeuM

BadKittySmiles - GrassCity!!! - Cannabis World Summit - Comment to WIN FREE SIGNED BeeLine Hemp Wick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkbclJ5wZKk

And a little 'Bonus Review' for the Weed Star Jackson #1 from the GRASS City shop! :yay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqwu-_KpIWc

Fast & frozen wash concentrate for smoking or vaping..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From BadKat's CannaPharm Vol. 5 : "Bone Bars" - Medical Grade Topical Cancer/Pain Treatment....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 5 - April 20

And a few candy related things you can make with your finished oil....

"An edible a day, keeps the doctor away!"

They beat apples! [​IMG]

Or they can include apples...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more interesting treats, that are more on the gummy side....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canna Gummy Candies, in the CannaPharm :hello:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, these are meringue 'candies' and they are a completely different beast, but they're still tons of fun!

<span><span>[​IMG]</span></span>

UV GLOWING HARD Hash or Canna Candies

-"Meddy" Moose Pops-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Philosopher's STONES-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Again, they're really easy to make, so long as you have a few unadulterated batches of hard candy under your belt... making at least
    one successful practice batch is a good idea; it makes a great snack if it comes out well, and it lets you know what you need to improve on,
    if something goes awry. [​IMG] )

Good luck, and have fun! :wave:

3. wow. thanks man! you really hooked it up