Hermie plants , Hermie seeds , questions and answers .

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tk86high, Aug 13, 2013.

1. So this posting is only for people that have Hermie plants or seeds , questions or suggestions welcomed. 

I have 4 plants switching to flowering right now, that were from a OG kush plant that hermie'd on me . 
    So I wanted to set the record straight on hermie plants and seeds. And let all at GC know hermie plants and seeds r a good thing. (unless its lots of seeds) 

They have been veggie'd for 5 weeks under a 400W MH and by what I can tell from my years growing , they r all females. I will upload pics once the white hairs start to show. 

Also this isnt my first time planting hermie seeds and getting back females.

Anybody else out there planted hermie seeds and gave them females in return ? 

You haven't really hit the rough patch for most hermies yet. Still a while to go yet... in a few weeks, you'll know. :)

3. #3 tk86high, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
    I shall keep u updated. But in the conditions i plan to flower in are optimal for successful females. By my personal experience. :)

4. #4 BadKittySmiles, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
    Were they optimal when the original OG Kush hermied? If you know you made a mistake with that one and put it under extreme stress, then you should be fine and with better care these plants may well turn out female. :)

If you aren't really sure what went wrong and, for all other intents and purposes, it seemed to be a healthy and normal plant on the other hand, then by nature it will have likely passed down the same genetic tendency, because its last attempt at reproduction was a success.
     That's very much how both natural selection, and the selective breeding programs growers use, function; a plant with a certain trait is allowed to reproduce successfully, and particularly in the case of hermies, with each generation that trait will generally grow more prevalent. :)

Hope this helps, keep a close eye out because just one bad apple is enough to seed the crop, good luck with your ladies! :)

5. Herms are bad If It's genetic. If It's forced It's "good ".cause in effect It's What is called"rodelization ".which in effect is a female that through a last ditch effort, produces male parts in order to procreate. And out of any seeds that are created 100%of them will be female. But with a higher tendency to hermie.It's an easy trait to breed out though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Sent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Yeah it was my own screw up (weird lighting times and a bit over heating) with the Original OG kush hermie , that or it caught wind of some pollen while my windows were open . Anyhow it is my conditions now r perfect for females so shouldn't be a issue .
    Strange thing I ended up with like 100 seeds on the OG kush but all right in the middle hardly none on the bud sites maybe 1 here and there .
    And I had 3 other females in there that ended up getting a seed here or there per bud but 1 of them ended up not giving me any seeds at all . Was really weird but ended up with 500+ grams dried and quite a few free seeds from each strain :D

7. any type of weed plant with lots of seeds all around is never good I would toss it right away but 1-2 seeds per big bud is a good thing . but Yeah I haven't bought seeds in a year or so lol don't need to I got quite a few seeds of a few different types of strains .

8. Its official all the seeds i planted r females ,all female parts confirmed been 2 weeks since the start of flowering and each plant is budding nicely . 
    So advise to anybody that has a hermie plant dont kill it , use the seeds u are most likely to get females !
    Very excited got dozens of seeds that r all females whooaaa  :bongin:  :bongin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Got over 200G's per plant and 0 seeds !
    So yeah hermie seeds r actually females !

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Before you go celebrating a new discovery for the community ( :p ), this just means that one of three things happened:

1) You either corrected, or never ran into the unknown stress factor, which caused your hermying last time.

2) You were actually pollinated by a true male, or a forced female with more stability from outside your room (either via clothing from contact with another grower, or even by a secondary runt plant in your room who may have died off early during bloom without notice.. the latter happens more often to folks who germinate multiple plants in a single pot before transplanting and dividing them).

3) Your plants are one of a kind and virtually defied all genetic logic, the same logic we use for selective breeding, and the very same mechanisms used by mother nature to pass down hereditary traits.

I'm betting it was one of the first two... in any case, something certainly isn't adding up :p

Which is why, if it's an unknown batch of hermies or a plant with unknown parental lineage, the SAFEST option is not to use the seeds! 

Seeds from a potential hermie, unless they are incredibly rare and unknown and it's a unique strain that means a lot to you, and those seeds are your very last option for reviving the genetics with some amount of certainty, should be left alone.

This is because true hermied seeds (not what you germinated, although without pics of current or past grows to see the parents, it's a bit hard to say) take much more work, more time and more effort when it comes to reversing and breeding the trait back out, than it took to breed the trait in, and then it takes multiple generations of successful selective breeding with forced hermies to produce reliably-pure female results. It can be worth it in very rare instances to work with true hermies, if you have other sources for meds/bud, in the form of additional rooms, distant additional grow plots, or generous friends.
     These are methods I've had well over a decade of first hand experience with, mind you... I've played with hermied seeds collectively for years to cause that kind of reversal and stability, even with the only very few times I've I run into actually desirable but gender-unstable genetics. What we're seeing suggested here without the proper information is not just rare, but it my experience, it simply doesn't happen... not without a TON of work provided unknowingly by a previous breeder, beforehand, anyhow.  :)

Getting lucky once early on, when you don't understand how you got lucky, or why, and then publicly insisting your results and their origins are valid, is a great way to set yourself (and others without experience, who read along!) up for a larger failure in the future if you rely on these results, and if you come across a second batch of truly hermied seeds, the kind that are much more common.. you know, the second or third generation hermies that can easily destroy an entire crop. :eek:

When that happens, you get all these, from this little plant matter. This is just a recent example of proper breeding between a male & female that I used as an example on a banner that I display when speaking at cannabis festivals and events, but I've seen this, and worse, several times over, in growers rooms where nothing more than early-gen true hermies were involved... the wind in a small plot, and especially a fan in an enclosed room can do a LOT of damage, when it comes to spreading pollen with success. If it happens early enough, virtually all of the energy and weight goes towards seed production, and from a nearly fist-sized bud weighing half an ounce dry, you're left with a mere bowl pack if you're lucky! It's devastating for a grower to trim through pounds, and pounds of bud, only to end up with an ounce of shake or so to smoke in the end!

[​IMG]

Yes, all those seeds came from just those two tiny branches, the calyx husks they developed inside and left behind didn't even fill a bowl, and there were plenty more where they came from!

The above is GREAT from two little nugs when it's intentional, and when you're working with a breeder crop...

But I have seen grown men CRY down on their knees, pawing through their crops for something useful, after spending months of their time and hundreds of dollars, only to accidentally grow the exact same results as above, simply because they thought they 'knew best' and because they chose to throw caution to the wind!
     Most of the time they had plenty of other options, and more than ample time before harvesting to correct the issue or start over, but just thought they would be one of the rare first to get lucky and made the critically poor decision of assuming "what harm will a little laziness cause?".... it can cause plenty of harm, and it's not worth it when you really needed that crop!

I'll reiterate...

If the genetics aren't all that important to you, if it's a production room you're relying on, or if you have any other available genetics or options... the HUGE rule of thumb is that you should NOT use suspicious seeds!

We aren't being meanies... we're trying to help you learn faster. :yay:

And while taking risks can help a person with the right mindset to learn more, than by simply taking the advice he's given, making the wrong assumptions and assertions after you've take a leap of faith, can set you back a lot further and prevent you from learning anything. What's worse, it can hurt people who aren't educated on the topic and then take those words at face value!

Long story short, you got lucky this time because you weren't sure what you were working with, but next time that may not be the case! :)

(For fun, a partial shot of the banner I mentioned along with some goodies I was handing out, taken at a festival I was invited to speak at last weekend.. the seed picture appears in the upper right of the banner :D )

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. I`ve been growing indoors and outdoors for only 5 years now and out of maybe 150 plants total only had one hermie or more like partial hermie. It was a Fruity Chronic Juice started from a feminized seed and grown outdoors. Don't recall how far into flowering it was but it didn't have much longer to go when we found one small 12" branch near the top that hermied and pollinated about 1/2 of the plant. What was weird is that it was only that one branch that hermied and looked like it was trying to revert back to female. First part of the 12" branch had some buds then straight up pollen sacs then more buds. The plant was about 8 feet tall and my nephew and I took turns inspecting the entire plant for more pollen sacs on a daily basis and didn't find any on any other part of the plant. We didn't even find any little pecker like pollen sacs growing out of the buds. Now if I feel like fishing through a garbage can I`m sure I can find some of the seeds from last year. Found a few jars of it last week and threw the buds out. I showed some friends of mine pics of it in the Norcal outdoor growers thread last year and they said they haven't seen anything like that before.

12. That's what happened to mine , was just 1 area in the middle with lots of seeds and nowhere else , I reused them and they were all females .

13. If u would have read the whole thread u would understand I made my plant hermie with stress during the last weeks and replanted them seeds in a perfect condition so hermie wouldn't happen and I got all females in return and just for your info its not the first time I've used hermie seeds , this is the first time all my plants were by hermie seeds usually I just plant 1 and it always turns out female , I've always read lots of other people getting females from Hermies .

So like I said at the start of the thread if your hermie seeds u plant have a great condition for growing (no stress) then u will get a female with ur seeds .

thanks for your input but I will keep suggesting to people they use the hermie seeds. As I've 90% of the time hear good things about hermie seeds and I'm living proof hermie seeds r great .
    Ps it was different strains that hermie so don't say it was just that strain or trade of the hermie seeds that became female , it was all of my strains that Hermied grew to be females from seeds.

Thanks again .

14. Tk8: you need to listen to mrs bad kitty....and if YOU insist tgat you knkw better then fine, hopefully those who read this are smart enough to heed her advice.

When you see people upset over hermies thinking its skmething they have done, yet it was indeed garbage genetics by "breeders" who should be known as nothing but pollen chuckers selling their junk genetics to unsuspecting buyers hoping to see that beautiful plant in the pics when they buy seeds.

Kitty is the real deal and dismissing what she has to say is either arrogance or stupidity. Take your pick.

15. Anything produced as a result of a hermie will pass on that tendency....maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but it is in there. Telling people not to worry because you had one run of luck means nothing. Just because you played russian roulette and won doesnt mean you should encourage others to do so. It irresponsible at best. If you knew anything about genetics you wouldn't be so quick to entice others to follow a path that will not only lead them to disappointment, but you are perpetuating the litany of shitty genetics that are out there.

16. Ms kitty.... I've seen you around for quite some time and know you are amongst some of the best there is. I do hope that at least a few take your words to heart and pass on the knowledge you've accrued over the years. If half of these people knew a tenth of what you do there would be fields of beautiful green buds from coast to coast.

Cheers....and don't stop trying to pass on your wisdom. Thanks ;)

17. Furthermore.... weak strains hermie. Perpetuating that by passing on those weak genes only increases that tendency.

Crappy breeders ignore that too, and it always comes out....eventually. lucky for them by that time they've moved on to another unstable strain and have made their money. Doh!

18. Selling seeds ? Dude chill, its all for personal use . And I'm just stupid with lots of free female seeds ;-)

19. 1 luck run ? I think u just came on this thread to take trash without reading my above statements . I've Been using hermie seeds over a year and I've yet to get any more Hermie's. it's all about ur conditions , but its okay thank u for ur input .

20. You may have had good results with seeds produced by a hermie plant but that doesn't mean that the hermie trait passed on in the seed isn't going to show up in fact in can show up a lot easier with or with out any stress. Its not a gaurentee that it will or wont but it does increase the odds that a plant grown from a hermie seed can go hermie even with minimal stress that most plants grown from non hermie seeds would handle just fine and not hermie. That's why its not really recommended not to use hermie seeds. Now from what you described that only one part of your plant hermied then that's like what I got one time that was a partial hermie not a full blown hermie.