1st Organic Grow. How long till harvest?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by noobslice, Aug 12, 2013.

1. So I flowered on 7/14 after they were about two months old. This is my 2nd grow but 1st organic. Pretty excited about this as its looking way better than my last grow. So how far out do you think I am till harvest?

Sent from my GS3 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. My best guess would be 2-3 weeks kinda hard to tell for me anyways

3. "flowered on 7/14"

First, your garden looks great - nice job!

If you turned your lights on 7/14 you need to figure depending on what your strain specifically is - different varieties have different lengths of flower times.

Generally you're looking at 8 to 10 weeks of flower time so in my best estimate you're looking at mid to late September.

How are you liking organic gardening?

J

4. nice plants for ur second grow...another 4, 5 weeks maybe(what strain are u growing)

5. #5 twotokeengine, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
    I agree with the above blades, there is a good few weeks left for those girls. need to swell and the hairs need to recede imho but listen to the above blades!

sterling job, welcome to bio, the grass really is greener on this side.

6. I'm loving organic waaay more. Much bettet results and way easier this way. Unfortunately though I'm gonna get a new job in 4ish months so this is my last grow for a couple years. But still fun to see how much better house plants do with organic.

Anyways I've got two blueberry and two bagseed. Really lucky too I got 3 out of 3 females that I planted last grow and 4 out of 4 this time were females.

Good I was about right with my estimate then I was thinkin at least 3 weeks maybe more like 5-6 till harvest.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. So now you can fine tune your organic gardening skills with vegetables and flowers - it's still a blast. I enjoy my veggie garden and raised beds just as much as my indoor - keep practicing!

J

8. Do you use the same soil ratios and everything for your veggie garden jerry? Or do all of those different veggies have different needs (like strawberries liking their soil a bit acidic, etc.) and you apply different soil mixes accordingly?

9. Oh god no - I couldn't - my veggie garden is around 50'X50'.

In my 10'X12'X2' deep raised bed that I built this spring I decided to do a mix of the "Hugelkultr" method and general organic gardening practices. I dumped several tractor buckets of composted horse manure/stall bedding on top of the rotting logs, added a bunch of soil amendments like kelp/neem/rock flour etc plus some buckwheat hulls for aeration that I had lying around. My daughter and I started some flowers indoors early spring and planted into this setup. I haven't touched/watered it since we planted.

The plant growth is to the point of being ridiculous looking. The raised bed is almost 2' deep - lets say 18" deep. These flowers that I had expected to grow around 18" to 2' tall - maybe even 30" are now towering well over my head. Stalks are the diameter of a quarter or half dollar - everything looks like sunflowers lol - I'm serious - it looks ridiculous. Can plants grow too well?

The veggie garden is surely a work in progress. I added a dozen tractor bucket loads of manure/stall bedding this spring (very sandy; need organic matter mixed in), a mess of chicken manure and then while plants were growing I made a bunch of 55 gallon drums of neem cake tea, kelp meal tea, and chicken manure tea. I'm very pleased with the growth - but it's much, much too big to use the same mix as my indoor potting soil and not necessary. I use lots and lots of mulch which helps keep the soil moist during hot months and weeds at a minimal.

J

10. Cool, thanks for the insight because I was going to start a garden this coming spring so that I can get some experience not killing plants until I'm in a position to grow some sweet herb. Since it's not the same mix, i'm curious is aeration and are nutritional amendments added at the same rate [2-3 cups per CF (only know that because of you)] or just as you can spare?

11. If I was to add 2-3 cups per CF of soil I'd have tractor trailers of soil amendments coming down the street and I'd be broke(er) lol
    50'X50' = 2,500 SF = 7,500 cups of amendments and 12,500 cups of rock flour...

My garden soil is very sandy here. If you go anywhere on my property and dig down a foot you're in pure beach sand. While I am not a fan of tilling, I have had no choice over the last 8 years I've been using my garden area but to till as much organic matter (OM) as I can into it. It takes massive amounts mixed in to make a difference once it breaks down. Lucky my wife has a Paint horse, which is a veritable manure factory. As the stall gets cleaned out daily the bedding (local hemlock wood shavings) and manure gets heaped up on the side of the barn. Each spring after this big pile sits for six to eight months I take the farm tractor and move it to the garden, spread it out and till it in. It's working very well so far, well kinda. It's better to till it all in in the fall so that it has longer to break down. Anyhow that's another story.

So that's my base - sandy native soil with lots and lots of manure & wood shavings mixed in. Lots. My garden soil is surely getting progressively better and better. It's a very long process but I'm in it for the long haul.

So on top of this I add extra attention where each plant goes. This past summer (this year) I worked several handfuls of pelletized chicken manure pellets at each and every plant. I made big 55 gallon drums of neem cake tea, comfrey tea, chicken manure tea, kelp meal tea - etc, allowing the drums to sit out in the sun for 2 weeks before use, stirring here and there and used lots and lots at each plant. I mulch with old hay very thick over all - it keeps the soil moist under the mulch even during very hot months and keeps weeds in check. It keeps an excellent environment at the soil line for life instead of just drying up and baking in the sun. Any weeds are also used as mulch.

This year was my best veggie garden so far - it is definetly a work in progress.

Hth.

J

12. Awesome, and it seems to me using 55 gallon drums of tea is a more cost effecient way to get those nutrients into the soil than 7,500 cups of ammendments :laughing:  in the other thread where you were helping me with compost I had already figured if I did 2 cubic yard compost piles I would be looking on the low end at approx. 6 gallons of amendments. Idk how affordable that would be but I'll probably have to scale back my ambitions being a broke country bumpkin. At least for the meantime.

13. You must remember just how much your organic matter will break down and diminish in size as it composts - it's amazing how gigantic of pikes I've started with to end up with *maybe* 1/20th of what I started with.

You don't *need* to add your amendments to your compost - it's just a very excellent way to get the microbes munching on them long before they get used. I'm a firm believer in Nutrient Cycling - it is THE basis for how organic gardening works.

My personal compost is fluffy and drains excellent. As good as one could ask for. It must be my ingredients - it's based on massive piles of autumn leaves and horse manure. I buy and love my Coast of Maine lobster compost but its very heavy and dense. Weird. Anyhow, I built a screen out of 2"X6" and half inch hardware cloth. My compost that is in use right now is 3 years old, loaded with lots of diverse amendments and lots of worms.

I screened a big pile of it a month or two ago and put a few plants directly into the screened compost next to some potted 10 gallon plants outdoors. The plants in the pure compost are thicker and fatter than the plants in my standard potting soil mix.

Go figure.

Noobslice, sorry man, didn't mean to hijack your thread with unrelated dribble.

J

14. I was meaning to apologize for thread jacking too. If I have anything more to discuss with you Jerry I'll start my own thread or I'll PM you if you don't mind that.

15. That's fine with me I have just been reading along lol. I too am planning on starting an outdoor organic bed but not till next summer. So this all info I'm interested in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app