Martial Arts Who does Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, or any other martial art on GC?

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Jake the Dog, Jul 31, 2013.

1. I found a few old threads about this but they were all over a year old so there was no point in trying to talk to anyone on there. I've officially done Gracie Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. I've unofficially tried Krov, Boxing, Judo, wrestling, and (like it even matters) Tae Kwon Do. I can't find many people that train where I live and I had to stop going to the gym because of my financial situation after moving so it would be awesome to find some people on here that also train. 

• Like Like x 1
  2. I train in BJJ and karate. I started karate at age 6, and I've been doing BJJ for 5 years now. I mostly do BJJ nowadays. I feel like my karate has kind of run it's course. My advice is to find a small club and do most of your exploring on your own. Small clubs are generally cheaper. Some college clubs are even open to non-attendees. When it comes to BJJ you can learn a lot online, and as long as you have a few people to train with you can make yourself proficient at the moves you discover.

3. boxed from about 5 till i got to hs wrestled for 3 years and have been doing mma for like 2-3 years now.

4. Tae Kwon do for 4yrs, Kraft maga for 1yr, xma for 4yrs, boxing for a couple of months, and looking to start Muay Thai but money is tight right now. I also have a home gym with a heavy bag, maize bag, several punching and kicking pads, and a jump rope since I have no where to train.

5. Wrestled for my school from ages 10-18.
    Took up Boxing when i turned 16, got some training in on that.
    My junior, senior year in high school i started up at a MMA gym. Still there, been mainly doing BJJ, Muay Thai Kickboxing, Judo and will throw in my wrestling with it.
    Me and a couple of my friends (who dont smoke) will get together and train.
    I'm only 20 so and have a lot of background/training.

6. Korean Tang Soo Do. 19 years. Did some amateur kickboxing too in this time too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. -Boxing 3 years
    -Jiu-Jitsu(Gracie Barra) 10 years

• Like Like x 2
  8. boxing 2 years
    Judo 1 year

Judo starts up again next week, can't wait....I bought myself a nice new blue gi for this season

• Like Like x 1
  9. been doing BJJ and Muay Thai for a few years now, just started training Judo not too long ago. also wrestled and did some boxing too.

10. I watched Karate Kid a few times I think I can box pretty good.

11. I want to get into some sort of martial arts. I took a couple months of tae kwon do when I was little. Wrestled for a few years in highschool, I was good enough to make state champ if I'd kept with it. I think Muay Thai or boxing would be fun as hell. Do any martial arts require a certain body type though? Always wondered that, because I've got an odd build.

• Like Like x 1
  12. not at all, im 5'10 160 lbs, somewhat stocky build and with BJJ you'll roll with guys that are different shapes and sizes. muscle and size doesnt play a huge factor (though it helps). Muay Thai, body type is a factor, but as long as youre in shape for it that wont hold to much importance. if its something you think youd enjoy id say go for it, the reason why i started was cause i was very successful at wrestling and wanted more of a challenge.

13. What's BJJ like man? I've only seen a little bit of it.

14. #14 HighSamurai, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013

BJJ is probably my favorite, its just a hard transition from wrestling because the point is to get them in your guard, which is on your back, and wrestling youre trying to get your opponent on their back.
    \nbut theres 2 types of BJJ, Gi, and no-gi BJJ. Gi's are the "karate" looking outfits you wear, they have different chokes and rules for Gi BJJ. i own a gi and train with it but i prefer no-gi since im into MMA cagefighting, more suitable since your not wearing the all that gear.
    \nBJJ is mainly a variation of chokes and arm locks, there are many different gaurds, pretty much on the ground the whole time. One of my favorite BJJ instructors/practitioners, Eddie Bravo,  is a stoner too man lol
    \nedit: oh and it does require some type of flexability, unless, youre only using it for cagefighting and are doing the basics (i did regular Gi BJJ before i started MMA though)

15. You know of anything that incorporates elements of wrestling, and striking like boxing/muay thai?
    I mean there's MMA. But are there any specific martial arts? I just moved to an area where there's alot more gyms to check out

16. haha, my boy eddie bravo...  :smoke:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well then you'd have to do MMA cagefighting, wrestling itself is a form of martial arts, so is boxing and kick-boxing. 

the elements you want im guessing is your preference of style? how you would fight? you just gotta work with what you think youd feel comfertable with, most gyms offer basic MMA classes, my gym does, those classes will teach you the basics of MMA cagefighting; takedowns, sprawls, shrimp crawls, basic MMA submissions and locks, different kick/punch combos and techniques, clinch work and what not.

18. Jiu-Jitsu is good for me, I'm 6' 7" 275, being tall, I can usually sweep people easily, and the triangle is my go-to move. Also if you're tall, standing guillotines are very effective.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yeah I'm like 5' 8" and 140 lbs haha

20. thats not bad dude, are you longer and lanky or shorter and stocky?