Never grown a thang in my life...until now

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by MjAlchemist, Jul 29, 2013.

1. subbed man, looks pretty damn good. CFL's can get the job done, and when you see the results then I would consider the next light upgrade.

The ph meter is key in hydro, one slightly off res and those girls will suffer and fast.

I've seen people crush with the 3 part GH so you're fine there.

I'd say besides the lighting upgrade and ph equipment you are good to go for now, the problems presented with the light upgrade can be mitigated if you just upgrade to t5's or something, more light without needing to remove a lot of heat and dealing with gf issues etc.

Looks good man keep at it and big ups for beating the synthetics for some nice green meds :)

2. #22 CannaClay, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
    Sweet!  I believe growing has helped me curb a lot of my destructive habbits.  I totally hear you and am excited for you!  Great looking ladies, hopefully! 
    They did a good job of explaining sexing earlier.

I will say when you are looking at the nodes any sort of new growth there in early flowering that will determine the sex of the plant will be very small.
    The two stigmas that come out if it is a female are very very tiny and delicate white hairs.
    It should not be mistaken for tiny thin green growth.
    Idk hope that helped.
    Good luck!

reason for edit: typo

3. Joyous stuff bro! Can't get enough of life now that I'm off the junk and my garden gives me a Lil bit of purpose ya know? As for the t5 is that something I should grab now as I'm pretty much ready to flower?? Also are these something I can pick up at home depot/Walmart? Will I need ballasts? And what size t5 bulb should I get as far as Kelvin/lumens/Watts?? Etc. (not looking for huge yield as it is my very first grow plus space issues) but right now I'm working with (3) 100w 2700k cfls 1650L and (3) soft white 13w cfls I sure do appreciate all the help! Peace...good growing!!!

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Think its time to invest in a Lil magnifying glass! any ideas on where to grab one for a decent price? Crazy how God (or whatever you use to choose to call him) reveals himself through something as simple as watching a tiny garden grow. ever seen studies on depression where they deprive some of the subjects of any sight of nature and they give the others a little plant to tend. other than that both environments are virtually identical. The test subjects without the plants will always be significantly more depressed than their smiling counter-parts! Shit I'll smile even bigger than I am now though when I'm putting her lovely fruit in the air! Peace and good growing to ya

5. RadioShack has the 60x-100x lighted microscope for like $12.  It is great for lookin at trichromes close to harvest.
    They also have like a little jewelers loop I guess you would call it.  I think it is like 2 magnifying glasses that are like 5x and 15x or something like that.  Those would be good for sexing.  although not necessary I like the idea of having it.  But I for sure would own the other one around harvest time.

6. Oh ok sweet...gonna get me one today!

7. Started 12 12 last night and whoa talk about overnight growth spurt!

Attached Files:

8. looking smashing m8 :hello:  finger,s crossed for girls . 

9. Thanx Pete! Hey I was picked up a ballast and fixture with a 400 watt metal halide bulb at a yard sale today :stoked: not shitting ya for a
    Thirty dollar bill my frienda! now my question for whoever can shed some mh light on this is, should I use this 400w mh to flower my plants or should I stick with my 6 assorted cfls I started out with??

Attached Files:

10. Happy Sunday . Nice find mate  :yay:  The bulb i would replace with a 4oow mh flowering bulb. I doubt that bulb is at the right spec for flowering and bulbs  I replace every 2-3 grows .   My only issue would be the heat = cardboard = Fire . make dam sure your safe m8 . other than that bud all you need now is a ph meter nd ya flying .

have a nice day :gc_rocks:  

11. Great point Pete thanx for pointing that out to me...yeah im just gonna stick with the cfls I have and maybe throw in a few more later on today (day 3 flower) just to try and mix the spectrum up a Lil bit. But in the meantime that mh will just be waiting in the wings until I upgrade my grow space, and really do some research on all the dynamics of using hid lamps. (either way it was a steal tho!) Gonna keep this 1st grow simple. peace :blowin:

12. gotta stay safe m8 . i got the gadgets now but am going to splash out (pun intended) on a fire ex for the groom seen a great one at a show . not long now mate till we can see the sex of them babies .Fingers crossed bud .people say its a 50/50 chance but imo its been a lot more females than males from reg seeds 70-80 % so they may all be girls  :yay:

13. Yeah...Gotta say, the waiting is the hardest part so far! there's gotta b a girl buddy, they're so dang healthy I don't know if I could bear cutting one down if it showed male :tears:

14. Ph in my 5 gallon bubble bucket is always preset at 5.9 and so far its always stayed rock steady since this grow started! Plenty of roots in solution but No fluctuation at all. Is this normal?

15. #36 CannaClay, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
    Yes,  GH 3 part is extremely stable and you probably won't see much fluctuation until your plant gets big.

Most people will say that fluctuation is beneficial to let the plant absorb all nutrients..
    What I did during veg was start at 5.6-7 and then topoff with pH water that is about 6.3-4  That was my pH would swing upwards until about 6.2 then I would do a rez change.

16. Ok makes sense, I think I'll try that since I don't have an ec meter that should work out good thanx peace

17. Day 5 flower!

Attached Files:

18. Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

19. Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files: