HotepHippys 1st Indoor Poormans grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by HotepHippy, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Peace! This is my first grow as the title states and I'm pretty broke atm so I'm trying to cultivate 3 seeds with an abundance of time and love ;)
    I've got 3 seeds, all from bags of dank I've picked up over the course of 6 months. I started to germinate two of them in paper towels for 3 days. When I didn't see any progress, I decided to drop them in some distilled water to 'rehydrate' them. The seeds immediately sunk to the bottom of the cup btw.
    I left them in the cup for about a day and a half and transferred the two seeds to their cups of Keloggs all purpose indoor/outdoor organic potting mix on thursday 7/25, pouring a little bit of water into the soil beforehand to moisten it. Planted the seeds about a half inch into the soil and covered it loosely.
    The third seed was put into a cup of water the same day as the soil transfer of the first two seeds and is still floating in the water. I'm not sure if I should wait for it to sink or if I should plant it...because the first two seeds have yet to sprout but I know I'm being impatient because it's only been three days since they've been in the soil.
    I have the cups sitting in a closet on the porch of my apartment for the warmth and humidity. I live in lake Elsinore Cali and it gets pretty hot in the summertime, 90-100+ degrees usually everyday. But that small closet stays pretty cool for the most part considering how hot it gets outside.
    Once the seed sprouts I plan to move it inside under fluorescent lighting. Again, I'm broke lol so I'll probably go to the 99cent store and buy a few energysaver cfls, a mini fan, and a magnifying glass.
    I know I should look into getting the adapter to allow using more than one socket to use multiple bulbs so I'll put that on the list of things to get as well.
    Any cheap nutes out there you guys recommend? I'm sure there are some out there that do a great job feeding the plant for a cheap price right?? I've attached some pics of my progress an plan on updating this thread faithfully because id like to enjoy the whole experiencing of growing my own meds haha

So please, drop any suggestions, comments, things I should get now etc. im new to the grow game and im willing to learn as much as I can. Also! I was wondering about maximizing the harvest of my plants too(even tho I'm unsure of their sex right now) using that method where you pin the stem into the soil so that it grows in a spiral direction around the pot. Can't remember the name because I'm high af but I'm sure you guys know which method I'm talkin about lol
    Anyway, drop a line, show some love!
    How's everybody doin tonight?

***UPDATE****
    Upon taking pics to show you guys my setup, I noticed some fuzzy white stuff on my soil. Is it bugs? Early enough to save the seed? I didn't take any precaution to sterilize the soil because I wanted to see how Kellogg's would fare straight out of the bag smh

2. Looks like mold to me brutha

3. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374997789.720896.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374997875.796361.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374998257.666709.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374998273.643954.jpg

peep the lil fuzz ball in the left corner
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374998296.011731.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374998394.026070.jpg

This fuzz is found in both cups :/

4. Damn :/ so do I have a moldy batch of soil? Or could it be due to me keeping the cups of soil covered with saran wrap have anything to do with it? Forgot to mention that part..

5. Alright so I dug out the two seeds and threw out the cups of soil. I will put these seeds in a cup of warm purified water until they crack or for at least 2 days. If they don't crack in 2 days, I will plant them in soil and have a cfl or two on them 24/7 to hurry things along. Any tips??

6. Your seeds aren't going to pop... They are obviously not viable. 24 hrs in water will pop them, 48 hrs max they are ready to plant.

You need proper viable seeds, a better plan and not that rubbish soil.

Good luck.

7. hello there  :hello:

when growing weed i used to think that you get out what you put into it  Â£$$$s  and have spent many a wage packet to get the best :smoke:

hydroponic,s wont work for you without start up costs / meters ph up/down etc 

organic,s may be a good place to start for you . a water only mix will cost you to set up but is reusable and you wont need to spend big bucks on adding nutes / ph meters ppm pens.... Hit the organic,s pages here on gc 

flat broke you may struggle m8 but if you want it you can do it .  :metal:
    read read nd read again the stickys at the top of the pages are a great place to start

work out how you are going to grow, get gear set, And then grow for it .

8. Thanks for the tips! I really wanted to see if someone could start with next to nothing and bloom a nice lil mari plant within a few months and what better time to test that out than when I'm broke? Haha

But yes, I definitely wanted to try and grow as natural as possible but efficiently as well. So I'd like to use soil, water, light and nutrients. Nothing too fancy but not the bare minimum at these time because I do want smokable herb.
    As for my seeds, I've read that the ones that sink immediately are a good sign of viability. I've also read that some ppl forgot their seeds in water only to find them two days later, cracked, and floating at the top with a nice root hangin out, but who knows? I'm deciding to start them in soil today because one of my seeds has cracked a little, and all of them sink to the bottom now.

As for the soil that I'm using, and this is what trips me out because I went to Walmart looking for a good organic soul. Didnt find any, so I copped a squat ot in the garden section and researched
    which soils are readily available, cheap, organic, while maintaining good quality an I've heard nothing but good things about Kellogg's. So Can you guys give me any reasoning on why it isn't ideal? I'm adding pics as we speak

9. here's the soil I use, and unfortunately, I'll have to dispose of it because the mold has taken over lol but it's got composted forest products, composted rice hulls, composted poultry manure, perlite, kelp meal, and worm castings. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375042371.483785.jpg

Here's the mold ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375042583.224051.jpg

And here is the area I will be using to at least sprout them. I might keep them in there for the duration of the grow but I think it might fare better if it were inside in a cupboard or something like that? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375042712.440833.jpg

10. And of course all that junk will be cleared out haha

11. Alright guys I'm putting all 3 of my babies in their cups. I punched in about 5 small holes for drainage, flushed the soil with tap water(hope that doesn't bite me in the ass) and let them drain for 15 minutes. I am now going to make a Hal inch impression into the soil, plant the seed in that hole, put dry soil on top to cover it, and mist that soil with a spray bottle. Correct me on any errors you see to my strategy as of yet haha ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375119382.440744.jpg

12. I guess every seed is different man..
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375120534.508213.jpg

But all seeds are planted. I've heard different things about puttin the seed pointed upwards, downwards, sideways etc. so in respect to the universe, I jus dropped them in to let nature do her thing haha Wish me luck guys! I'll update this journal as much as possible.

13. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375284102.619547.jpg
    and now we wait...

14. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375455313.557261.jpg

First seed has sprouted :D I checked her this morning and there she was. The others are still getting things ready for the sprout but I'm sure they'll wiggle themselves up in the next day or two.

I'll be headin to the store today to buy more lights, maybe a ph tester, and a magnifying glass. I know I'll need a fan and nutrients pretty soon too. Any other things I should add to the list?

15. ***UPDATE***8/2/13

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375558068.302076.jpg

Showing growth! Should I be concerned of anything yet? I think I'll start watering with my dropper instead of misting on Sunday night

***UPDATE*** 8/3/13

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375558230.222958.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375558249.620330.jpg

How is her bending? Normal? Or is something lacking? Just wanna make sure she's super healthy :)

16. UPDATE 8/4

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375754603.250543.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375754642.268971.jpg

This is her growth as of yesterday. She's under 24hr light from a 100W cfl with a 'SUN-LITE' color bulb. I mist her in the mornings and at night and whenever the soil gets dry.

From what I've just finished reading, this is bad and can lead to damping off the seedling. I've also read before that misting helps to sort of 'dust' the plant and keep it clean. So I think I might mist bright and early in the morning and at night.

I'm also considering switching to 18-20 hour lighting intervals until she gets her 4th and 5th nodes growing. Which reminds me, I need to upload more pics to this post haha

8/5 this morning

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375754695.133963.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375754713.736457.jpg

Her second set of leaves started to form and later in the day showed more growth

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375754919.505222.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375754951.387713.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375755021.204831.jpg

I think she's pretty healthy! And I've read that Indicas are usually darker in color than sativas and she's a very light leafy green. Maybe it's too early to tell tho..

And here's my setup until transplant
    -One fan blowing air indirectly at her to strengthen her stem. I also don't want Her to grow tall I want her short n fat. So hopefully te fan will help with that.
    -one cfl
    -kitchen counter haha

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375755070.626671.jpg

17. I can already tell you that its indica ive grown a lot of em and that is a fat leaf coming out if it was thin and smaller leaves then its a sativa

18. Thanks man! I was hopin she was indica cuz that's really all I smoke. Her leave are starting to droop a bit so I'll charge that to indican heritage haha
    I was building with another good friend of mine and he told me that I should almost starve her(withhold water) so that when I do water, she's looking for it and will take it efficiently. He says this will maximize growth and minimize time for yields. Any light on this?

19. #20 Gandalf_the_Green, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
    The mold was probably from the syran wrap, too much water, and high heat.  Seedlings like it around 85F, not 95F.  Mostly the syran wrap though.....

If your other two sprouts haven't popped yet, they probably won't.

Is your bulb actual 100W or equivalent 100W?

The problem with misting is that new growers tend to only moisten the top of the soil, and the bottom gets dried out... consequently, the plant only sends out very shallow roots.  You should let your plant dry until the top 1/2inch of soil feels totally dry, then water until you see runoff coming out of the bottom of the cup.  You can still mist occasionally, but don't let that be your primary waterings.

Couldn't tell from the way you worded it, but do not.... under any circumstance.... decrease the number of hours of light, then increase them again.  It sounded like you wanted to decrease to 18-20.... then increase again after the 5th node.  

The more light you give your plant, the shorter it will be.  The less light you give it, the more it will stretch to the light.  And by more light, I don't mean more hours of light... I mean more lumens, more power.

Here is the link to the grow journal of an inspirational, if somewhat strange, old man who was/is doing a low budget grow like yourself.  And his turned out well.... so imitate him. lol  http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1166306-but-what-do-i-know.html