Defiency?? Nitrogen or Cal-Mag I Think

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by cherokee91red, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Hey guys, quick question. Was able to open up my plant a bit today moving her to my bigger cabinet and noticed a few leaves turning yellow. Some have brown spots and a few lower leaves have even gone as far as to shrivel up and die. I'm thinking its a combination defiency of cal-mag and nitrogen. Any input here or there is appreciated.
    Thanks!

What type of medium; soil or hydro? Hydro, DWC. RO water, ph is 5.5-6. Its a drop type of tester so can't be terribly accurate.
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors, 4'X2'X1.5' box
    What strain? Royal Queen Sour Diesel
    How old are the plants? 7 weeks total, 5 weeks flowering
    What type of lights and how many watts? Previously (5) CFL's. 26W Daylight, 26W soft White, (3) 13W Soft White. Just moved tonight to 600W HPS
    How far from the lights? 1"-6" with CFL's, new HPS top of canopy 16" below hood
    What is your watering frequency and source of water?   RO Water, fill every few days to top off.
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?  Added 15mL Botanicare ProBloom and 12mL of Cal-Mag tonight to supplement.
    Previous feed 2 days ago... 6oz of mixture, 10mL/gal of botanicare pureblend pro bloom, 5mL/gal of botanicare cal-mag plus, 1 mL/gal of B'Cuzz PK 13-14, 0.25 mL/gal of General Hydroponics Floralicious Plus
    Leaf tips yellowed slightly after nutes, approximately 1/10 strength.
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? pH hovers from 5.5-6, no TDS meter.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? 75-81F, 0%-40% RH
    What size pots? 4gal DWC, 40gal aquarium air pump w/ (1) 6" round stone and (1) 1.5" stone.
    Any bugs? Look real close. Nope
    Any other pertinent info? Photos are under HPS, first one has no flash, last 3 with flash. In the third and fourth photos the fan leaf to the uppermost right is a healthy dark green. The one slightly underneath and to the left is the yellow one.

Attached Files:

2. I want to be the first to thank you for filling out the form.

Can we got some pics w/o hps on?

Prolly a ph issue. You need 5.8 in dwc. It looks like you have enough nutes.

3. #3 cherokee91red, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
    Here's HPS off. I know its supposed to be 5.8 but I only have a liquid drop tester and its hard to get any more accurate than 0.5 eyeing up the colors. I've read about so many people who have issues with digital meters or calibration that I just said screw it.

Attached Files:

4. #4 TheAnswer121, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
    when using the drops, I find that you want just a tint of orange in the vial. roughly 5.5-5.8 ph. it will then rise slowly between top offs, which will balance it back out as long as the ph of water used for topping is same ph. this fluctuation is a good thing. start by checking it 2-3 times a day and as you get used to the fluctuation you will find yourself checking only once a day or even every other day. also if ur ppm's are fluctuating a lot, your ph will change more rapidly.

side note: since you have no meter, just by looking at the pics, i'd say you want to be at 1/2 strength solution. which is around 600-700 ppms. if you see yellowing just dilute a bit with ph'd water. if not then you know ur in the ballpark. get a cheap tds meter on amazon like $12

5. Do as TheAnswer121 suggests, and attempt for a bit more accuracy... it'll be difficult with the strips but doable in my estimation. Looks like your slipping in nutrient uptake of P and Mg is locked out. I'd shoot for a ph of 5.8 for improvement.

6. Flushed it this morning, eyed up the new pH to just a touch or orange and added 15mL of Cal-mag to the reservoir. Will check it again later. Ran out of RO water so had to use a couple gallons of tap, which I know is deficient in cal-mag, that's why I still added some. Will flush again in a day, saw a little debris coming off the roots.