*New* Companion Planting w/ Cannabis

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by BulbaStoned, Jul 20, 2013.

1. #1 BulbaStoned, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
    What's up GC!

Now I know that their already is a Companion Planting thread that I believe SD started a long time ago, but since it has ran it's course I figured we should start a new one with all the buzz going around the city over this topic!

Here's a small intro in case your wondering WTF am I talking about

Currently I am running some 5gal SIPs that are using Chia/Barley mulch along with Companion Squash plantings.

So far I've noticed Indica dom seems to react better to Squash when compared to Sativa dom.

Here's some Youtube Mainer using Nettle, I don't suggest you take ANY advice from him but this just shows its possible, he's organic.... just.... you know.... doing it wrong lol.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjMUGIcBqNc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvd7ImPkDkQ

I have pictures of this in my thread (see sig - Microbes Organic Ramblings) and will post up more tonight so people get a better idea.

So the idea of this thread is to post up any research/pictures you may find that way maybe we can start piecing this puzzle together! I will be sure to add some PDFs and link up SDs Companion Thread also!

HaGGarD

2. #2 BulbaStoned, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
    Another thing I would like to add is other things can be used as Companions other then plant's, mainly Mushrooms.

I have posted about this many of times on many different forums, so if your following along - link

Here's a kit that Paul Stamet sells (Kit Here), since the price is kind of high I think I will just source spores from elsewhere of the same strains. I will be posting more on this subject later if anyone cares.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Subbed up. Will post ideas/questions that I have a bit later...bad day.  Great idea though HaGGard, thanks! :wave:

4. same here. would love to hear more about this subject. also already know quite a bit about dealing with spores and such. ;)

5. <a>Chamomile</a> -  Known as The 'Plant Doctor' because of it's ability to encourage other plants to increase their essential oil & so taste & smell more stronger & more vital...  Chamomile is easy to grow, & looks beautiful anywhere, though keep it well trimmed to avoid a straggly look.  Many other plants enjoy it's company, especially Mint, which will become tastier when grown next to Chamomile.  Plant Chamomile next to ailing plants to help revive it.  Cabbages & Onions love Chamomile, though keep it approx a meter away from Onions.  Collect & dry the Chamomile Flowers, then make a tea by soaking  a handful in cold water for a day or two.  This can then be used for any plant which is looking sickly, or a young plant is in need of assistance.  And finally, Chamomile will help activate the Composting process if added to your Compost pile!

<a>Tansy</a> - Tansy is a good all-round bitter Insect repellent.  It is great planted near Cabbages, Roses, Raspberries & Grapes.  It concentrates Potassium in the soil, so benefits any plants nearby!  Plant it for protection against Japanese Beetle, Striped Cucumber Beetle, Squash Bug, Cut Worms, Cabbage Worms, Ants, Flies, Mosquitoes & Fruit Moth.  It is noticeably helpful under Peach Trees, which it assists greatly by warding off flying insects & keeping Borers away

6. I've purchased seeds and plan to run camomile myself next run. Seems like a no brainer huh??
    I'm also considering pennyroyal, which is a low growing creeping mint....GREAT as an insect repellent, but it is a mint, and you (HaGGarD aka ME) have made the point that dynamic accumulators (all mints would be considered such I would think) might not be the way to go...

BUT

If you grow a plant considered a dynamic accumulator in a good well balanced soil, and keep it trimmed thus adding the nutrients back into the soil would that necessarily be detrimental?? IDK :confused_2: May have to give it a try though ;)

I've got some pennyroyal growing outside in cracks in a flagstone path out back....I'll try and get a pic later and post it up.

7. My mother has been companion planting for awhile and she says that tarragon is a must have in her garden.  It brings out much more flavor in her other veggies.  Tarragon + Chamomile makes for a more flavorful, abundant resin?  

My main concern is the size of my pots.  I would do a minimum 7 gal for my current setup just so roots don't have to battle.  Hmm.

8. I have a couple Chamomile outside around my plants but they get no light, still alive but no flowers or anything, but my pole bean have taken over everything trying the weave my plants through the beans and LST them atm but i guess i really shouldnt havent planted 50 pole beans infront of my girls, thats was really dumb.

Going to try in my 7 gallons next run.

9. I've read the other thread about companion plants. I'm quite intrigued. A good friend of mine owns a nursery here In PDX. So I have a pretty good connection for many of these dynamic accumulators. Will the oranmential perennial Yarrow work? Or do I need to find a Achillea millefolium native to the Pacific Northwest?

Is anyone doing this with their indoor grows? If so what variety? And what sized containers do you grow in?

Thanks
    C

10. #11 3Deez, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
    Im confused. Wont planting dynamic accumulators with cannabis result in the weed possibly not getting adequate nutes? I was under the impression that companion plants worked differently?For example, comfrey (not that I would put it in a container) would seek nutrients but not give anything back until we used leaves for green manure or something like that. Whereas companion plants can actually give back to the soil through some sort of exchange via the roots? Am completely off base?I dont know anything about this subject so I know I could very wrong.

I want to try this technique and am racked with the same questions.  I think what I am going to do is veg in my current 3 gal.  Transplant to a 5 gallon.  Once ready for flowering ill transplant to a 7 gallon and top dress with another 3-6 inches of soil THEN put the companion plants in.  I think this would be your best bet if growing in small containers as this would avoid most of the potential "root rioting".

Here are the pics of pennyroyal and camomile if anyone's interested ^^^^
    You can see the pennyroyal's creeping growth pattern would imo be a perfect mulch, and it doesn't seem to mind a bit of shade either. It is a member of the mint family though and roots MIGHT take over, IDK. Camomile would have less of a root issue, but grows a bit taller (not as tall as squash though).
    Still thinking about creeping thyme as well....perfect and you can harvest it for your spaghetti sauce ;)

13. It make sense that this could possibly happen. But I don't know for sure. Depends on your soil mix I'd guess. 

I had just finished reading the Botanicals thread when I wrote this. Haha. I should have said companion plants considering the topic. Or even plants in general. But I had dynamic accumulators and FPE's on the mind.

14. Ah no way! You got some Oysters going eh? I found my first morels down behind my freshmen dorm room, where the mysteries of marijuana first were revealed to me 3 years earlier. hahaha.

Are you a fellow mushroom head? I could talk mushrooms all day although I rarely eat 'em... I got some 'good' ones sitting in the drawer. lol

This book is freaking great: http://books.google.com/books?id=qtsTH7ekvVYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Paul+Stamets&hl=en&sa=X&ei=reXtUf_HFvXl4APy2IGoAw&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Paul%20Stamets&f=false

Also check out his videos on youtube. Breathtaking... intriguing and mysterious

15. #17 corkybuchek, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
    I have a cover crop of field peas, rye and barley, and dutch white clover. I keep them trimmed <1'' tall, and they seem to be doing well enough. I do not believe they would compete with the cannabis or use nutrients up considering that the plants derive the majority of their energy from the action between minerals and humic acid, as well as the micro-and macro herd and these things are relatively static regardless of how many plants are there, especially compared to NPK fertilizer

Also I think that transitioning toward more companions in a less gardener controlled, more wild manner is a great idea, let the plants decide what works and doesnt.  Even so using charts like the one posted above can be really useful for planting things since most the work in a garden can be completed a half year to a year prior to harvest during the research stage

wordy way to say word up in this thread -- nice OP Haggard

16. Dutch white clover for myself, though I think I'll experiment with the chamomile and a couple other herbs sometime in the future.

It's all about the oils... :hippie:

17. Okay, Ive refrained from posting here lately so that I can soak in the info that everyone is passing on the subject. I learn better when my mouth is shut and ear are open...or in this case, fingers not typing and eyes are open :rolleyes:

So here is what Im wondering about the concept here, companion planting is essentially all about establishing an eco system that will be self sustaining for canna and possibly for other plants worth harvesting. I saw a pic on anther forum of someone doing this with 4 plants (different strains), micro clover and all in a 45 gallon smartie. Pretty cool!! I don't have room for a pot that big but I got an idea that Im cooking up :devious:. What I don't know though is whether there is a minimal container size needed? If Im understanding this correctly, this is a no till sort of set up right?  

18. You forgot best two companion plants for cannabis. Dill which attracts beneficials andCilantro which repelz pests. Hops are also good toplant with ganja.