If a tree falls in the forest....

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by toddyboy, Jul 18, 2013.

Sounds exist with or without humans having receptors to register them.

2. #42 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013

What do u think it means when someone asks... "IF NO ONE IS AROUND" -- MEANING, IF THERE ARE NO EARS.

It's a stupid simple thought game.

Ears are only devices to register sound waves. Sound waves exist independently of ears.

4. #44 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

If there were no ears on planet earth... could sound exist? "Sound" is enabled by the recpriocal interaction between an ear and the soundwaves... one without the other is incomplete.

5. #45 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013
    Yes, as physical movement, i.e., vibrations, and not sound.

Heat waves, i.e., a form of vibration, move as well, but we don't hear heatwaves... soundwaves without an receptive ear are simply physical movement, and not sound.

6. Well you brought a deaf person into this argument about the dynamite that was never involved. You completely disregarded the argument and changed it to being about deaf people. Therefore I felt victorious because you were not able to offer any valid rebuttal to the scenario I presented you with lol. This arguement was not about a deaf person.

Time for a recap...
    Dynamite suspended above the ground by a harness is detonated in the desert. Nobody is within a range to experience any sound, shock wave, smell it, see it, sense it with the force, no deaf people hanging around, no racoons hiding near a cactus, no birds flying around, nothing but an audio-less video clip to prove its existence. Would this be the first soundless dynamite explosion ever that produces no shock/sound waves? It is impossible for energy to be released from dynamite without any sound waves being produced. It doesn't matter if anything hears it or not.

Sound waves exist independently of ears. Movement causes vibrations, sound is nothing but vibration. Movement exists, ergo sound waves do, regardless of reception.

You can hear heat waves, too. I don't know what universe you exist in that you don't think extreme heat causes sound.

9. #49 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

Is sound a sensation?

10. #50 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013
    So, by that same reasoning... we can also hear light waves. :rolleyes:

You really have no idea how ears work. 

12. Is that your only rebuttal? lol.

Of course it is. I can 'sense' its existence. I also play in a metal band so I know that it is possible to feel sound as well.

Now back to the dynamite... can you or can you not prove my theory wrong? Or are you willing to argue that dynamite will explode silently with no sound waves produced from the shock... either way you have avoided it multiple times already so each time you do so I feel more victorious lol.

13. #53 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

"When something makes a noise, it sends vibrations, or sound waves, through the air.
    The human eardrum is a stretched membrane, like the skin of a drum. When the sound waves hit your eardrum, it vibrates and the brain interprets these vibrations as sound."

"After the vibrations hit your eardrum, a chain reaction is set off."

"Your brain then translates all that and tells you what you are hearing. Neurologists don't yet fully understand how we process raw sound data once it enters the cerebral cortex in the brain."

Without this interpratation/translation, i.e., a chain reaction, there is no sound!!! Just vibrations, i.e., physical movement, traveling through air/space.

CHECK AND MATE.

I'm gonna let u retain, and soak in, that SUBJECTIVE feeling, friend.

:laughing:

The vibrations roll through the air with or without an ear to register them. Your "interpretation" makes the claim that sound didn't exist until ears were evolved. Then what was it called when those vibrations were felt by the first physical nerves? 

Again, your theory is that sound didn't exist until ears, and that's just obviously bullshit.

16. #56 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

What was it called? Again, it was just physical movement travelling through space which affected physical bodies...

17. I will soak it up like a giant sponge in a pool of Fiji water lol.

But why can't you provide me with an argument to my dynamite theory? I want to know lol.
    I am a persistent bastard right now. You keep disregarding my argument and trying to change the subject and it makes you look like a troll. I just want to see if you can actually try to prove my dynamite theory wrong. Sorry I am cocky about it, but when you keep changing the subject it gets annoying.

That physical movement was caused by NOISE. 

19. #59 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

No, it was caused by energy...

20. And sound waves are caused by the release of energy :smoking: