If a tree falls in the forest....

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by toddyboy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. depends on how you wanna look at it. it's the same concept as the glass half full or not

2. poor tree

plant a seed

3. What about the birds and animals in the forest? Thats life that hears the sound. If I go outside and fall down and no one is there to help me up I still fell down and Im still cussing becuz I scraped a knee. Things happen all the time without being seen. They still happen, it still makes noise and the effects are still present.

4. the fact dat u dont hear someting does not mean it didnt make noise. how do you even know there is no one in the forest when the tree fell. something must be there maybe an insect animals anything or are they deaf to. this actually one of the dumbest things to argue

5. What's a better topic could we argue about that would make a difference?  What's true in this case can't be proven, that's why it's a classic.

6. That's like saying; if there's nobody to document your life, then it never happened and you never existed.

Simply explained: if it creates vibrations in the air, then it's making a noise. Just because no human is around to document it doesn't mean it's not happening.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

7. Sound cancellation corollary:
    If a tree falls on a barking dog, did the tree's bark cancel out the dog's bark?

8. Explain how you know vibrations in the air make noise?

9. Physics...

10. its a philosophical topic.

The question is if reality actually exists, or if its created by observation.

-yuri

11. I think people missed the point of this. It's a philosophical question, one that implies that there is no phenomena without an observer. Although substance itself is the observer as it is affected and the phenomena is recorded do to it's effect upon the substance of reality. In a sense, the conclusion to draw here is that the observer is inherent to the very substance that is observed. The universe observes itself. So yeah, the tree definitely fell.

12. I feel like OP is a really good troll or extremely dense. Sound waves would cause noise even if it couldn't be heard. If we were all deaf, it could still be proven that sounds makes... Well sound

13. Once again, if instead of being deep you'd define the terms that you are talking about, you'd realize that sound has multiple definitions. In physics, sound is the vibration that makes a pressure wave through a medium. In physiology, sound is the reception by those waves in the brain. Therefore the question can be answered in two ways. From a physics standpoint, the tree makes a sound. From a physiology standpoint, it does not makes a sound. Define the terms instead of being ambiguous and trying to sound "deep" and you can often find an actual answer.