If a tree falls in the forest....

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by toddyboy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. The universe itself is the observer. heh.

2. i feel like this question just comes down to semantics. either answer is correct it's more of the explanation of why you chose

Do you hear a sound? or, Is that a sound you hear? both

i don't know i just feel like it shows a lot about how an introvert would say it doesn't make a sound and an extrovert would say it does. i don't know just tryna create theories here  :smoking:

3. It's a trick question. There is no such thing as a forest, it is just a cultural construction we have for a grouping of tress.

Duh

Why can't a deaf person perceive sound?

5. #425 Uncle_Meat420, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
    Deaf people perceive the vibrations in the air in a different way than a person with a functioning cochlea/auditory lobe.

6. [SIZE=12pt]If you tell a joke in the forest, but nobody laughs, was it a joke? ~S. Wright[/SIZE]

7. It doesn't make a noise. It makes sound waves but a noise is our perception of those sound waves which wouldn't exist if no one was there.

Sent

8. Yes. Yes it does.

The only reason the question becomes mysterious is because there is no relative observation point given. The obvious answer is "yes" the obvious repsonse is "how can you know for sure" ? 

10. #430 kempala, May 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
    if a tree falls next to you, what does it really sound like if our interceptors don't convert it into sound.

11. What sound may or may not mean is irrelevant. The question doesnt define the details. Without context theres no factual answer just opinions.

12. There's always something near a tree that falls wether it be animals or insects something hears it so for all the people that are arguing you need a receptor to make sound well there it is :p
    And IMO you don't need a receptor to make sound in this question is the noise of impact from one thing to another. So the tree falling when it falls and hits the ground yes nothing here's that but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

13. #433 Timesplasher, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
    Lol the question is a misleading one. We exist in the enviroment. Thats a no brainer :)

14. #434 BluntAssassin, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
    Yes it makes a sound. Whether there is anyone around to hear it is irrelevant. When the tree hits the ground, it's not going to be silent.

We can argue on what our definition of a sound is (ie: a soundwave, vibration, noise that needs to be registered by an eardrum, etc) all day. But the fact is the tree still falls, and when it comes into contact with whatever it hits, it will create a vibration/energy known as a sound wave.

15. A tree has never fallen in a forest; the forest has always fallen on the tree.

16. I believe the definition of a sound is literally a vibration on an eardrum.
    If there are no eardrums, it isn't a sound. It's just another vibration.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see."
    - Thomas Jefferson

17. It depends on the perspective and the definition of a sound

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see."
    - Thomas Jefferson

18. you believe but do you know for sure? or are you just trying to keep an argument going ?

I do have the 5 tho

19. For the sake of the argument, I'm going to say both XD

and a physics teach told me that. But it's debatable. It was a high school teacher haha

- Thomas Jefferson

20. I never under stood why people think it doesn't make a sound. What's stopping it from making a sound? Animals are there, therefor it makes a sound.

That question always made me angry

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum