If a tree falls in the forest....

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by toddyboy, Jul 18, 2013.

Yea, after he already knew what each note sounded like... i.e., he composed music based OFF OF HIS MEMORY. Again, if he was born dear, he wouldn't have been able to compose music...

2. Actually beethoven could compose music because he knew music theory and could tell how it would sound in his head (also because we became deaf AFTER becomming a composer)

A true master of.music theory can.compose a masterpiece without ever picking up an instrument

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Wrong again. This time you walked into my territory as a music major.
    Sheet music is abstract math that follows set rules. As long as it makes mathematical and musical sense then the composition will likely sound decent depending on the musical knowledge of the composer. One can be 100% deaf their entire life but still understand the math behind sheet music.

4. #24 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013

We would experience the dynamite as extreme movement, like I said earlier... waves are movement, yet, an ear registers and deciphers these waves/movement and creates the subjective sensation of sound...

5. Yea, after the fact he heard the sounds when he could hear...

Still more straw mans.

Completely disregarding the fact that sounds are sounds without being heard and are physically felt.

Okay, so it's not dealing with sounds... just conceptual algorithms, sorry.

Okay, so it's not dealing with sounds... just conceptual and cognitive algorithms, sorry.

9. Nobody is within the distance to experience the extreme movement in this scenario. Lets say the dynamite is elevated 20 feet and suspended by a harness.. regardless of how you argue this you can't say dynamite will explode silently even if nobody hears/feels/ or even smells it.

your move :cool:

10. #30 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

Does a deaf person hear dynamite explode or does he or she just feel the physical effect, i.e., the physical vibration, of the explosion?

Sound is not a subjective experience. It is the vibration of your ear drums made by sound waves bouncing against them.

12. Well now you know
    And...
    [​IMG]

13. #33 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

Ur speaking of the physical movement of waves, this is understood, but, without an ear to regiester these physical vibrations, there can be no sound...

So, a deaf person can actaully hear the song I'm playing, i.e., hear the words and beats, just becasue he or she is present before sound-waves? Or will he or she just experience the physical vibration of the waves?

14. Where did a deaf person come into play? 
    Your just changing the subject because you have suffered an ill defeat in this battle of wits.
    Checkmate :hello:

And as for your question :laughing:
    you just asked if a deaf person hears something! Priceless

15. #35 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

What are u talking about? "suffered an ill defeat in this battle of wits."

And, as to the point of the deaf person... u just helped me make my point. If we were ALL born dear could anyone hear anything? By ur condescdening point at the end of ur post, I can conclude u think we wouldn't... for how can a deaf person hear sound, right? :rolleyes:

Someone who is deaf is someone who's ears are no long able to register sensitively enough the sounds around them. That's why there are varying degrees of deafness, because on some level it has deteriorated to be barely registered in the brain or not at all.

IF WE WERE BORN WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO HEAR WOULD WE HEAR ANYTHING????

That's your post.

Okay, so let's say if we are all born COMPLETELEY deaf... and not partially.

19. #39 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

Exactly... without functioning ears, there is nothing we can hear... for we have nothing to register the sound-waves.

That has nothing to do with anything. Literally.