If a tree falls in the forest....

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by toddyboy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. The question goes "if a tree falls in the forest with nobody near it does it still make a noise"

Ive heard a few people sau that this is a question that nobody knows but I think I got it. Sound is just a wave that is received by a receiver (ear). If the sound wave is never received then surely the energy would just degrade and become nothing therefore being no sound ?

If anyone has any opinions or suggestions then post then up !!!!

2. #2 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013

U may like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs1MeDUgEOA.

Berkeley being the one who came up with the argument u speak of... althought he never asked, "if a tree falls in the forest with nobody near it does it still make a noise."

P.S.
    IF THE VID ISN'T WORKING, HERE IS THE LINK... youtube.com/watch?v=fs1MeDUgEOA

3. Anything that release a soundwave makes noise whether it is recieved to make a full transaction or not. So yes, it does make noise.

4. #4 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

Soundwaves... and the registration of the sonundwaves are two different things. Soundwaves falling upon deaf ears creates no noise or sound... just ask a deaf person; o wait, u can't...

5. Thats silly. You just changing the definitions of words so you can continue the argument.

Yes the tree makes a sound. There are just no receptors to interpret it.

Go troll elswhere with your sekantic bs

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. #6 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

So, what is a soundwave without a receptor? For it cannot be noise... for noise implies a recpriocal interaction between the soundwave and a ear; it's not semantics, it's actuality.

GO ON WITH UR SNITHCIN' SELF...

7. easiest way to answer is to say it causes a disturbance. 

even if, realistically speaking, something heard it. may not be anything in the immediate area, but other animals have way better hearing than us.

8. #8 TesseLated, Jul 18, 2013
    It will make sound waves...it will make sound.

lol.

9. #9 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

So, a deaf person can actaully hear the song I'm playing, i.e., hear the words and beats, just becasue he or she is present before sound-waves, really?

Physic-ally...it will make waves...because that's how Science rolls.

11. This is a stupid question and always has been because it realies on definitions and language rather than something more objective.

Objectively, yes a tree falling makes a sound. Now, if you want to define a sound as something that is "heard" then that is another problem entirely. But no matter what the definition of sound or noise is, the tree falling will make a (typically) longitudinal wave of increasing and decreasing pressure which we know to be a soundwave.

12. Lol. Snitchin self? You shouldnt listen to trolls. I wasnt even the ons who reported that guy.

Also like i said. your just arguing semantics. Its silly

13. #13 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

This is nothing other than movement, and not sound... it's rendered sound when there is a subject to register these longitudinal waves, i.e., an ear registers the movement of waves and renders it "sound".

14. Sound waves also have a physical effect. They will be felt by any matter in its area of effect. Ergo, it makes a sound. 

So, a deaf person can actaully hear the song I'm playing, i.e., hear the words and beats, just becasue he or she is present before sound-waves, really?

Beethoven was deaf and could still compose music because he could feel the sound waves. They're just vibrations. 

17. #17 Boats And Hoes, Jul 18, 2013

Beethoven wasn't born deaf, he went deaf in his twenties, i.e., he memorized the sounds of the piano (and composed music based off of his memory of the notes that he coordinates with specific sounds). If he was born deaf, he could of never composed music.

18. Semantics

He still composed music while deaf. Stop straw manning posts. Sounds are just vibrations, they are felt as much as they are heard.

20. So what if nobody heard it.
    Lets try this one out...
    200 pounds of dynamite are placed in the middle of the desert. there are no ears of any kind within hundreds of miles. The explosions are detonated by satellite from a location over 300 miles away. Would 200 pounds of exploding dynamite produce no soundwaves?