watering a 5 gallon bucket

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BigDave 420, Jul 16, 2013.

1. i have a young sprout its about 5 days old give or take and its 3 to 4 inchs tall right now i have it in my window in a 16oz cup but tomorrow im gonna transplant it in a 5 gallon bucket. im gonna make some holes in the bottom of the bucket and put a thin layer of gravel so it can drain better is that a good idea? any way my question is how often should i water it in the bucket since its soo young its gonna be outside and when it doesnt rain how much should i water it. thanks this is my first grow and it was the only seed i had and i sure hope its a lady. ps anywere i can get some seeds for like 20 bucks thats a legit place i cant get any more mj so thats why im growing plus i have always wanted to grow some anyway.

2. Don't waste your time with the gravel. One inch in the bottom isn't going to make any difference if you water properly. Water the new soil before transplanting, and water the plant in a bit afterwards. After that don't after again until the pot starts to get light. May take three days or it may take ten. It depends on the soil, temps, humidity, air flow, and other things how fast your pots will dry out. By the time they dry out your roots should be well in to filling the new soil and ready for a normal watering.

3. ok thanks man it is just the soil in my yard but the liitle town i live in has great soil for growing food so it should be good im going to take this old egg beating machine and make the soil even finer like the bag soil.

4. ps how often should i go see if it needs water? everyday or could i go every other day? and how much water? 

5. lol a seedling in a 5 gallon bucket will need watered like once every 2 weeks, until the plant gets bigger.

6. so once every two weeks until it gets bigger? ok i just hope it doesnt rain much then

7. why are you using such a big bucket from the start? Let it grow in whatever you have it in now, and transplant it later. Watering seedlings in large containers sucks, because the bottom of the bucket is always wet, and the top where the seedling is, is always dry.

8. its in a 16 ounce cup i could put it outside in a one gallon milk jug for now but either way it has to go outside because its geeting tall enough were people could see it in my window and if i put it in a plastic 1 gallon jug how would i get it out? this cup is cardboard so i know how to get it out but plastic idk.

9. i put it in a foldgers coffee can i just dont know how i am gonna get it out of that when need be and how much water until it drains out or just enough so its wet i watered it with like 4 ounces of water and none came out the bottom

10. A folgers can,plastic(?), will work, when you transfer to your bucket, just slice the can from the top down in a bunch of spots, loosen it up a bit until it slides out. As far as watering in it, just get it damp/moist enough, let it dry a day or two, then add a little more water, etc....

Take a peak http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1221460-Cfl-Box-Grow,-Round-#2#entry18148508

11. thanks man and yeah it's plastic.im gonna put it in the woods tomorrow in the can on top of the bucket so nothing gets it. i planted two other mj plants there and put some egg shells on top of the soil and something ate my plants thats why im using a bucket now.how long should i wait to transplant and do you think i have enough time left for her to get big enough to harvest? i may or may not live in east tn.

12. 5 gallons, once per day

13. thats way to much water man that will kill my plants.