Day 31, might have overwatered one of my blue ogs

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by funwithgreens, Jul 16, 2013.

1. #1 funwithgreens, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
    What type of medium; soil or hydro? soil
    What brand and type of soil? FFOF
    Indoors or outdoors? 5x5 tent
    What strain? G13 Blue OG
    How old are the plants? 31 Days
    What type of lights and how many watts? 600W MH
    How far from the lights? ~18 inches
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? Reverse osmosis, every 3 days. Last watering was 3 days ago.
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? started with 1/4 dose of big bloom and grow big 4 waterings ago, last watering fed 1/2 dose of big bloom and grow big.
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? haven't been able to check, but I watered it 3 times with 5.8 PH water @ ~500 and 700PPM before balancing the PH to 7.0 in efforts to balance the soil ph.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? 75-77F, 45-55% RH
    What size pots? 3 gal felt bags
    Any bugs? Look real close. not that I'm aware of, a gnat spotting every few days, but no infestation
    Any other pertinent info? I suspect I overwatered it and lowered the PH to the point where neuts are locked out and stunted its growth. She's got 8 partners going strong and putting on an explosion of growth, so I made the mistake of watering all my pots with the same average amount of water without checking each individual pot... with the assumption that their water consumptions were going to be about equal. This one has always been the slower growing one.

I think I've got the problem under control, I'm going to skip the next watering and let it dry out before watering with plain water ph'd at 7. New growth seems to be healthier and it seems to be perking up and growing again.

There was pretty severe chlorosis and even borderlining on necrosis of leaves 4 days ago, it looks better to me, can't be too certain though.

Just wanted to check in with some better eyes in case I'm missing something :)

2013-07-15 22.44.17.jpg

2. Get your runoff ph level. If its any where near 7, that's your problem. You need no higher than 6.5 runoff.

3. #3 funwithgreens, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013

I don't want to get runoff right now cuz the soil's pretty oversaturated, when I water all my other plants I'll take a soil sample and take the PH of it. It was watered 2 times with water closer to 5.5PH so I figured I needed to offset with atleast two waterings at 7.

My RO water starts at PH 6 and once I mix neuts in, it drops to 5.5.

4. ... The soils ph isn't what dictates how well the plant will uptake nutes. The nutes are infused with water. You need to see how much the ph changes through the plant to ensure it can take up the nutes and not lock me thing out. The water pics up the salts in the soil as it goes through.

5. eh, guess I'm kinda adverse to watering it again considering how the pot weighs a good 2x heavier than my other perfectly healthy girls. That seems kinda weird to me, the soil stores water, so it should be more or less the same as the ph of whatever the roots are exposed to, no?

6. As the water moves through the soil it picks up salts that affects the waters ph. Once the water gets to the roots, that's where it maters. Just get the run off next watering.

7. #7 funwithgreens, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013
    Just watered this plant today. PH of runoff was 5.8. So, I have the right idea watering my plants with 7.0 adjusted water. Other plants were in the 6.1-6.4 range as well so my ph is adjusting back up nicely. 

I believe problem's solved... the color is going back to leaves and they're beginning to fan out again, PH must have been under 5.5 to begin with for this particular pot.

8. There ya go friend.