Irq77s Hempy 3:1 Coco/Perlite 400x LED 4x4 tent Cluster Bomb 1st Ever Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by irq77, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Very Nice man! Im doing my first grow right now too, about 20 days into flowering. Im using a 1000x hood with a HPS bulb in a closet I have set up, its hard to keep the temp down in there and the big light is really sucking up alot of power and my power bill has shot up ridiculously, was thinking about investing in a tent set up similar to what you have, does your set up draw alot of additional power to run it? Also how often are you watering your plants and about how much do you water at a time, and how often do you add nutrients? heres a link to mine if you want to check it out.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1226657-first-indoor-grow-blackberrykushpics.html

2. Holy damn dude! That's a full tent! Well done! :) Can't wait to see em finished!

3. Wat up yo?  I've still been enjoying being a Ganja Farmer.  I check the girls about 5 times a day and can't stop wondering what's going to happen next.  Yep.  I've read all about what's supposed to happen, but this is my first grow and it's still the first time I've ever watched a plant develop of any kind.  So much fun!   And I get to smoke my harvest...   Yep.  Love being a Ganja Farmer.

So I think my girls are doing pretty good, but how would I know??   Anyone want to give me their thoughts?

I just started some defoliation of fan leaves.  I think I'm going to do a little of this every few days.  I just read a article on the growweedeasy.com site about defoliation and also remember Tastebud doing and receiving the same advice, so I'm just trying to follow the recipe of others that have had success.

Today is Day 81 since dropping my beans in a moist towel,  day in 28 Flower, and day 40 of 12/12 lighting.

Yesterday I fed the girls with the following nutes:

4gal PH 5.8 TDS 453
    Gro = 2ml
    Micro = 8ml
    Bloom = 12ml
    CaMg+ = 4ml
    KoolBloom = 5ml

Runoff: #1 PH 6.0 TDS 466 PPM, #2 6.1 TDS 429, #3 PH 6.3 TDS 346, #4 PH 6.4 TDS 383.

ALL FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!!   :eek:

Pictures are from today:

IMG_3170.JPG IMG_3163.JPG IMG_3160.JPG IMG_3156.JPG IMG_3153.JPG

4. looking frosty. how much longer until harvest time?

5. #25 irq77, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
    Heya @[member="SouthernBudz"] @[member="cultfashions"] !!   I just saw the posts after my last update.  I totally missed them previously.  DOH!   Thanks so much for the nice words Cultfashions.

I'll try and answer your questions SoutherBudz.  The LED I'm using is the Pro Grow 400X from Hydroponics Hut.  I'm not even close to an expert on the LED's.  Basically I tried to read everything I could about the lighting and visited a lot of the manufacturers out there and really didn't know what to get.  The 400X uses 350W in the full illumination mode.  The low power and little heat were very important to me.  I started the grow with the idea I didn't want a huge bump in electric costs and didn't really have my exhaust figured out yet, so thought the low heat was another bonus.  Ultimately I chose the 400X because Tastebud had used other Pro Grow models and it worked well for him and because of the 3 year warranty from the manufacturer.  I'm hoping the electrical savings pays for the light eventually, but it's expensive for sure.  Price was $850 for the light alone.  So far I haven't noticed an increase in my power from last year, but that is because I just did a full energy efficiency audit with my Solar Array install.  When I compare last July to this July I still saved $20.  Pretty cool.

Let me know if you'd like to know anything else about the setup, but these are the big items:

LED Pro Grow 400X - $850
    Tent came from ebay - $120
    4" 200 CFM fan and Phresh filter ~ $150

The rest: Media, Buckets, PH meter, TDS meter, Nutes, Lumber (ducting, plywood, buckets, fittings, tubing), microscope, etc) ~ $200

Best guess for total cost is between $1300-1400.

The feed schedule has changed over the life of the plants.  When first germinated I fed about 1 every five days.  Then I watered almost every day in the later stages of vegetation and now I'm about every other day.  Basically, I just check them by trying to pick them up.  If they are light I feed.

When the girls were young it took very little water (1 gallon for all 4) and maximum water has been 1 gallon for each plant.

I have BIG plans to change my setup for my second grow.  I'll share when I have it all worked out, but hoping to cut feeding time in half next time around.

Sorry about the slow reply.  Take care!

-irq77

6. #26 irq77, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
    Bomb Seeds website states the Cluster bomb as a 7-9 weeks of flower.  My estimate (if I assume harvest is at week 8/56 days) would be October 1st.  :hello:   I've been wondering the same thing really.  Do you have a guess?  When week 6 starts I'll be looking really close and coming up with a plan.  Would love feedback from anyone with experience.

7. #27 medsforme, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
    I always lean towards to the longer side on flowering times. That being said, since you have four plants, why not harvest two at 8 weeks or so and the other two at 9 weeks? This is what I did with my THC bomb plants and it let me nail down MY preferred flowering time (69 days for the record).

Your plants are looking really nice and healthy. Nailing down this strain's flowering time will be a pleasurable experience I'm sure. :bongin:

Depends on what kind of high you want. Harvest earlier when the trichomes are milky/clear for a psychedelic speedy high, harvest later when the trichomes are milky/amber for a couch lock/stone high.

9. Hi irq your grow looks fabulous. Here's some advice on coco that I've gathered from around the city and through my own experiences with coco and pH,hopefully it should help you! I think the burn you had previously was due to the pH being too far off and causing a deficiency. You see coco has a slight ph buffer and generally stays around 6. This is good for us growers because cannabis likes a range between 5.6-6.2ish 5.8 is the sweet spot. Also runoff in coco is inaccurate. The way to pH for coco coir is to just pH the water going in to 5.6-5.8. I think that after we feed at a certain pH, within the medium it slowly rises. So the higher spectrum of our pH range should generally be covered if we water at 5.8 consistently. To get the lower spectrum nutrients absorbed, I throw in a 5.6 or 5.7 whenever my plants get N tox, or show mag def.

Subbed!

10. Hey thanks for the nice words @[member="Dingus"]  

I appreciate the thoughts on the pH in Coco.  You seem to be describing exactly what I've been experiencing.   For my next grow I sure as heck am not using any more Miracle Grow perlite and I'll be buffering the hempy's with some pH'd water before I add a bean.  The other thing that seems to be pretty important is regular flushing.  It seems if I go 10 days without a flush that things start going the wrong direction.  Flushing every 7-9 days seems to be the ticket.

Thanks for following along!   :metal:

11. @[member="medsforme"] I really like your idea of harvesting at two separate times.  My 4th plant is most likely a little behind the others as it is I thought I'd have to stagger the harvest a bit.  I was thinking I'd hang for drying in the tent with the fans turned off and the exhaust fan turned down a little bit.  So if my tent is still being used I'm not sure where to start my drying.  Maybe I could just use the room outside of the tent?  I was thinking about buying one of those mesh drying racks.  My two major considerations would be smell and keeping spiders out of my harvest. 

Any thoughts?

12. Hiya @[member="sapien"].  I purchased one of the hand held 60-100x microscopes and found I can't see anything through it with my glasses on.  I think I'm going to pick up a 30x jewellers loop and see if I have better luck with that.  I may also be asking for help and posting pictures.  However the pictures in the articles describing exactly what you'd stated are not totally clear to me yet.  I need more experience.  This has been one fun ride.  Thanks for adding your thoughts!  :metal:

13. I dry in my flowering tent without making any changes at all. I tried drying in the closet in the room with the tents, but then I had to worry about smell and air movement. Naturally, drying in the tent will also keep out bugs.

As for how to dry them. I use clothes hangers with vinyl coated metal clips to hold the branches, with two for the really big ones (like the 29gram main cola from the latest harvest). I got them locally, but you can find them on Amazon and other sites really cheaply.

I hang the hanger outside the tent while I clip the branches to the hanger, then transfer the whole thing into the tent. I used to use wire ties. This is far quicker and more reliable.

14. Thanks again for the reply @[member="medsforme"].  I really appreciate you sharing your experience.  The current plan is to use the tent for drying and when looking at the tent environmental stats I see humidity range from 49-64%(which seems pretty good from what I've been reading).  Do you think there will be any issue if I have lights still on the 12/12 schedule in the tent with a staggered harvest?

I have a mesh drying rack and jewellers loupe ordered.  I also ordered a bottle of General Hydroponics Florakleen.  Anyone have advice or ever used Florakleen? 

15. #35 Dingus, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
    I don't think drying with lights running is a good idea. I've heard sunlight destroys thc, but it's probably one of the UV spectrums? No worried about heat from the light though since you're running the led. What I do is get a nice sized cardboard box and hang up the whole plant for 7-10days and then dry trim. I also put a few inch sized holes around the box and a 4" square hole at the top where I fit a 120mm pc fan. If you place this box in the same room you have your tent in, it should be pretty similar of an environment.

Are you planning on hanging the drying rack in your tent while still growing plants as well?

16. #36 medsforme, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013

I hang my plants to dry well above the lights. They are exposed to a little bit of light reflection since the flowering tent is running as normal and the inside is, of course, reflective, but I don't know how much that affects my plants. I'm currently putting the mids from my latest harvest, LA Chocolat, through my Vape Q and it is really good. YMMV.

As for the tent humidity. It takes about 48 hours to dry in my tent because the summer weather has made it very dry 29%day 50%night avg humidity. I've yet to experience dead winter while growing, so we'll see how that affects things.

I've never used florakleen, but I'm sure somebody on GC knows something.

17. Those look beautiful man!!! Keep up the great work, digging the frosty frosty flowers!  :smoke:

18. #38 irq77, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
    Wat up everybody? 

I've been having a pretty good time over the last week and writing this while medicated.  An old neighbour took me out to mtn bike Hall Ranch (outside of Lyons) and had a blast.  I also had a date Sunday night that went pretty good.  :yay:

How's everybody been? 

I've started receiving more items for the grow including an air stone/pump, fiskar trimmers, drying net, Florakleen, and 30x jewellers loupe, and Canna Coco (for next grow).  Looking at the girls through the jewellers loupe is pretty cool.  The trichomes are something I've never seen in person before. 

Yesterday: Day 87 -  Dayt 34 in Flower - Day 46 of 12/12 light

~9:00am - Environment: C52% L48% H57% T73F

Flush: 4gal PH 5.5 TDS 172

Feed: 4gal PH 5.8 TDS 468
    Gro = 2ml
    Micro = 8ml
    Bloom = 12ml
    CaMg+ = 4ml
    KoolBloom = 5ml

Runoff: #1 PH 6.0 TDS 474 PPM, #2 6.1 TDS 435, #3 PH 6.1 TDS 366, #4 PH 6.4 TDS 354.

Today: Close ups are of #3 which is the plant I broke the main stem.  My guess is the stem break is responsible for the leaf tips, but I really don't know.  Anyone have thoughts?

Love being a ganja farmer.  :D

Peace! 

-irq77

Attached Files:

19. Hey irq your tent looks amazing. Wall to wall dank! Not sure on the tips from stress. I thought tip burning had to do with slight nute overfeeding, but you said it's only on that branch so it's an isolated case?

20. Hi @[member="Dingus"]!  I think you may be right about the tips.  I'm seeing some more signs of some nute burn on my other plants now.  Will be cutting back the nutes on tonight's feeding.   I've been worried about the humidity and flooding today.  I guess there is a Flood Watch issued where I live right now.   A bunch of online news with pictures that look pretty terrible all over the place.  Crossing my fingers that I miss the flooding.  Thanks for stopping by!  :wave: