Florid said to be next state to legalize Medical MJ

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ManateeGrower, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Wait state regulated production and distribution? Yuck.

2. This is my first post, but an important one.
    I'm a 51 year old disabled mmj patient who lives in Florida, and I am definitely signing this partition.
    Please help legalize my medicine !!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. People like you are the reason people like us try so hard for legalization. Thanks for helping the cause

Sent from my DROID3 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. \tMedical marijuana ballot initiative push begins
    Posted by United For Care 4pc on July 12, 2013 · Flag ·   Add your reaction
    By Zac Anderson
    July 10, 2013

Medical marijuana supporters received final approval Wednesday from the Florida Department of State to begin collecting signatures for a ballot initiative that would enshrine doctor-approved cannabis in the state constitution.

The medical marijuana petition now has an active serial number and backers can start working toward the nearly 700,000 signatures needed by Feb. 1 to put the issue before voters in 2014.

The group pushing for a constitutional amendment hopes to send out an army of paid signature gatherers to blanket the state in search of support. Such an effort could cost upwards of $3 million.

People United for Medical Marijuana raised nearly $200,000 between January and March, with more than half coming from high-profile personal injury lawyer John Morgan. The group's second-quarter fundraising total has yet to be reported, but campaign coordinator Ben Pollara said it will be similar to the first quarter's total. With the petition finalized, Pollara and Morgan will begin an aggressive fundraising push.

“We're very excited the petition got approved and now we're starting the real work of the campaign,” Pollara said.
    With six months to raise the funds, Pollara said most of the money will come from a small group of well-heeled donors with an interest in the issue.

“We're in the late stages of those conversations,” he said.

Morgan has also pledged to do “whatever it takes” to get the issue on the ballot.

The constitutional amendment would allow patients to use marijuana if they have a “debilitating condition.”
    Certain diseases such as cancer, glaucoma and Parkinson's are specifically mentioned, but a doctor would have discretion to prescribe marijuana for any “conditions for which a physician believes that the medical use of marijuana would likely outweigh the potential health risks for a patient.”

Patients would have to obtain an identification card from the state Department of Health, which would be authorized to develop “reasonable regulations” for medical marijuana, including procedures for opening a dispensary and obtaining an identification card.
    The department also would regulate how much marijuana patients can obtain.

EARLIER: Medical marijuana supporters received final approval today from the Florida Department of State to begin collecting signatures for a ballot initiative that would enshrine doctor-approved cannabis in the state constitution.
    The medical marijuana petition met all of the criteria in a 22-point checklist and now has active serial number: 13-02.
    Nearly 700,000 signatures are needed by Feb. 1 to put the issue in front of voters in 2014

Backers of the constitutional amendment hope to send out an Army of paid signature gatherers to blanket the state in search of support. Such an effort could cost more than $3 million.

People United for Medical Marijuana raised nearly $200,000 between January and March, with more than half coming from wealthy personal injury lawyer John Morgan. The group's second quarter fundraising total had yet to be reported Wednesday, but campaign coordinator Ben Pollara has said it will be similar to the first-quarter total.

With the petition finalized, Pollara and Morgan will begin an aggressive fundraising push.

Copyright © 2013, Herald-Tribune

5. #45 The Nickatina, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
    diabetes IS a qualifying condition i would hope, especially if i cant eat without it.

6. In case you guys don't already know, the petition MUST be printed on both sides of a single sheet of paper, which is a pain in the ass. A good idea is to go to Staples or OfficeMax and have them print up a bunch petitions so you can hand them out to registered voters.

7. The group pushing for a constitutional amendment hopes to send out an army of paid signature gatherers to blanket the state in search of support. Such an effort could cost upwards of $3 million.

Http://election.dos.state.fl.us/constitutional-amendments/init-peti-process.shtml

freakie as it is here the state is unique....

Initiative Petitions - Process and Procedures
    What is an Initiative Petition?
    The Florida Constitution grants the people the power to propose amendments to Florida's Constitution. This can be accomplished by getting petitions signed by a number of voters equal to eight percent of votes cast in the last presidential election. The petitions must also come from at least one-half of the congressional districts of the state. For the number of signatures needed for the 2014 election and the breakdown by congressional district, please see Congressional District Requirements.

8. DEFINITIONS. For purposes of this section, the following words and terms shall have the following meanings: (1) “Debilitating Medical Condition” means cancer, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Crohn's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis or other conditions for which a physician believes that the medical use of marijuana would likely outweigh the potential health risks for a patient.

"Or other conditions"...

9. As a Floridian myself I highly highly doubt it will be successful. We are amazingly conservative and anti-progress.

Good thing there's another 49 states that I can move to.

10. Bump..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. All Florida residents have signed the united for care petition, correct?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. i live grow and go to college in fl and with the current population upcomming to vote
    75% of people at my school smoke its gonna be legal if it goes to the ballot like no doubt !!!!
    morgan and morgan is FOR the people cracked me up lol

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Well Tomorrow at 3 am I start my road trip out to Florida to make the big move.  Once I am a resident I will be voting.

14. Anybody else notice that UnitedForCare.org took down their facebook link from their website? Whats up with that? I don;t have a facebook account, so I can't find it.

15. #57 Governmentcheese, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
    I too am 51, live in Florida and my Mom (72 years young) is a mmj patient in MI. She's had a hip replacement and a knee replacement and using cannabis is the only thing that has offered the high-level pain reduction that SHE claims is slightly more effective than the debilitating (and severely constipating) effects of opioid usage for chronic pain. I have had a condition for the last 34 years ( a serious car accident in the 70's and a completely rebuilt shoulder). I've been responsible in getting a checkup about every other year for the last 10 or so, and every time I discuss pain control with my Dr. They have unilaterally tried to prescribe opiate-based pain killers for me which I tried for almost a year. When I stopped taking them after a week or so, I realized I had been completely blunted for the entire time frame thanks to those things. I used to use cannabis in my 20's, and after talking to my mother, decided to try it again. This time with an attention to specific applications and uses. I was appalled at the price and disappointed in the vast inconsistency of medicine available through the usual channels.

I'm responsible, have had a job at the same company for over 20 years, a husband and a father of 4. Not that it matters.

I signed the petition.

Florida is a peculiar state. I truly have no doubts that cannabis will be legal in my lifetime...but not too sure when.

cheese

16. i thought that in FL you cant even sell glass pipes or bongs???...now they are "next" for legalization????
    Hmmmmmmmm....puff puff.......sounds phishy.....

17. I just literally moved out of Florida for college, however I'll be going back to visit quite often. I was following the entire proposition the entire time I lived there, and I'd love to see Florida come through. John Morgan has said that he's willing to spend any amount of money on the cause, and do whatever it takes to make this all come true. It's quite fortunate that Florida has someone as big as him backing up this cause.

Also, 7/10 Florida voters apparently are in support for MMJ. 

18. All I knos iz I think mmj should stop being legalized everywhere.

Next 10-15 year it will be legal all across usa and most psrts of the world.

Its value will tank. And it'll be a farmers crop like corn or tobbaccco