First Grow 600W HPS - Northern Lights/Big Bud Auto (Coco) Bubblegum (DWC)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by DWC4Life, Jul 8, 2013.

1. #21 DWC4Life, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
    Ah! I totally missed that. Thanks!

It is in rockwool at this point already. My rockwool plugs are halved, so I can just open that bitch up and take a quick peek! I can't anymore since I took the plug and fitted it into my 4"x4" rockwool cube.

By the way, forgot to mention: I'm using an oldschool electric heating blanket to germ the seeds. It's keeping temps exactly where I want em, when my windowsill germ mat doesn't.

As for how I installed the ducting, no. I didn't think to take pictures of how I did it in detail. Just kind of got in the mindset of getting that done as fast as possible and as good as possible and went into handle business mode haha.

I cut a 6&1/8" hole in the ceiling of the space (attic is right above it) and mounted the inline fan to a piece of plywood which in turn was mounted into 2 beams in the attic. In the attic it extends with a vent stack with a door on it for keeping pests out when its off.

No sprouts still on the auto's :(

Keeping my fingers crossed!

2. #22 funwithgreens, Jul 10, 2013
    [quote name="DWC4Life" post="18329276" timestamp="1373430012"]If you don't mind me asking (bear with me I'm a newb to these forums still), how do you subscribe to a thread?And wicked man! I'm hoping it just nukes 2 really big DWC fem's and 2 medium coco's. I'm gonna rip my bong a few times in my space tomorrow before the coco's sprout and see how the carbon filter works it magic.[/quote]It's the "follow this thread" button. Are you planning to scrog the 4 plants or lst them? Hope your seeds germinate. I'm not as big a fan of autos because I feel like there isn't enough time on most of them before they flower to do too much training. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3. #23 DWC4Life, Jul 10, 2013
    Scrog, lst, monster-cropping, & super-cropping will all be put into effect each a little bit if not quite a bit (still planning to go easy at first since I've only done it on my massive tomato plant in the backyard so far). Going to flatten the hell out of the auto's if I can. Don't want them getting too over the top height wise for this grow. Then again I may just let them do their thing. We will see I guess!

I got the auto's for free, so I figured I'd start with 2 of those to get a feel for it and to make mistakes on if I did make any.

4. What are monster-cropping and super-cropping?  You're going to install a screen in your closet?  Got some some advanced stuff planned for your first grow lol.  I have a feeling you've been at least involved in a grow or two before based on some of the advice I've seen you give on these boards and the ambition of your plan  :cool:

5. I've heard of super cropping, don't remember where but it has to do with cropping leaves to increase light exposure efficiency I believe

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

6. correct, its pretty much the same thing as monster cropping, just combining the slight variations in the process of the two. It's basically where you bend the branches and mold the plant to the shape you want.

7. It's the VERY careful process of bending the branches at strategic points to mold the plant to the desired shape you want (ex: round and bushy until you scrog). Nope, never taken part of a grow ever. This is literally my first grow and first times seeing the plant grow in person hehe. I just am a knowledge hog to the biggest extent. Been studying all of this for over a year now ;)

8. Hmmmmm.... Ok.... I'll buy it for now.  The way I saw you diagnosing white spots as pests, and recommending Silica Blast, I figured you had more experience than germinating your first seeds lol.  I guess my old aborted grow gives me more experience than you, but I'll still turn to your knowledge bank, seems you've soaked a lot in.

Monster-cropping and super-cropping sound a lot like each other and lot like LST.  If so, then your grow isn't quite so ambitious as I thought for a bit there (though still pretty ambitious).  I thought about scrogging because my space is so small, but decided that was too complicated for my first full grow.  And I've heard extracting them from the screen at the end is tedious.

How did you change the "Registered User" line above your avatar image?

9. Click on where it says your username at the top with the drop down arrow, go to My Profile. Then click on Edit My Profile. Scroll down to Profile Information, and then it's right there (Member Title).

Thanks man. I've been pretty dedicated mentally to growing for quite some time. Just never had the investment money or had really made the decision to grow until recently. I figured since I couldn't grow at the time I could quench my thirst for it by studying every aspect I could. I'm pretty rounded in terms of knowledge, but I lack in some areas as everybody does. Going to highlight those area's I'm lacking in at the end of this grow, and then focus more on those next grow.

My space isn't really deep so I can afford to maximize the area I want to scrog and still be able to reach the backsides of the plants. If I was doing a bigger grow (more plants) then I probably only would of tried it on 2 out of however many more I had. I figure as long as I'm careful, I'll be fine!

10. I also thought about scrog just because but ultimately also decided it is a little complicated to get a 5x5 screen to hook onto 4 corners of my tent and actually stay put. And it's hard enough to get in and actually water the pots already, a huge screen would make it waaaay too hard for me. Pretty cool that you're gonna commit to scrog tho, with 2 plants you'll probably end up with close to the same yield as all 9 of my plants

11. Provided I don't fuck anything up along the way haha. How much do you think you are going to pull off those 9? I'm going to making my own net via pvc & fishing line custom tailored to my space.

When I click on Edit My Profile, it takes me to "General Account Settings." There is a section there called "Profile Information," but I can confidently say that there is not a part that says "Member Title," at least for me.  Maybe I need to make some more comments, or get more reputation points, or something?

I'm sure you researched it, but just to be safe I thought I'd mention that I've heard of off-gassing issues with grow tents made of PVC.... but I have also definitely seen scrog screens made with PVC, so not sure what the deal is.  I'm trying to be very careful about anything plastic (or otherwise petroleum based) that I put in the tent.

13. UPDATE #1 of the day:

So, checked on the coco NLxBB auto's a few minutes ago. I had moved them and the heating blanket up into the grow room along with both the BG's in their 4"x4" rockwool cubes. Since then they have started to push the soil up! One of them looks like it already has some leaf development! WOO! I'll take some pictures once they have made their way out :D

14. That gas off thing pretty much only happens if the tent cover is made with crappy phthalate loaded plastics. Think of it this way... If it's safe for humans to run drinking water through pvc, it's fine.

15. Hmm odd, its right under Profile Information for me /shrug. Maybe that's the case.

I saw that on some forums a couple months ago, but a YouTube grower I follow uses PVC and his plants are really healthy and gigantic. This guy gets 1lb - 2 1/2 lb's per plant! So I'm just going to go with it and see what happens. It's staying under 86 degrees at all times in the space with the door closed, so I don't think that should be an issue.

16. I'm hoping for maybe just over 1 oz dry per plant.

17.  I'm shooting for a 1/4lb per DWC plant, I don't know if I will hit it first grow, but I really hope I do xD

18. I've seen 10oz on a single plant so that's not too farfetched

19. #39 DWC4Life, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
    The guy I modeled my setup after for the most part gets 1lb dry each plant. Provided he has a 12x12 space and uses 5x5 scrog nets. Well, let me set a ridiculously high goal to shoot for haha; 1/3-1/2 pound per plant. HUZZAH I'm going to make this happen lol.

20. Ive been dosing the hell out of my autos with tea's that are made a little stronger than normal, and havent had any problems with the nutes. Feeding them alfalfa + kelp tea & ewc+mexican bat guano + fish hydroslate + seaweed extract. They are growing like crazy too. Been switching back n forth between the teas. One watering is the alfalfa + kelp, next watering is the ewc+mexican bat guano+fish hydroslate+seaweed extract. Ive never feed them plain water yet since they sprouted. Soil is roots 707.