First Grow 600W HPS - Northern Lights/Big Bud Auto (Coco) Bubblegum (DWC)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by DWC4Life, Jul 8, 2013.

1. 17 gal res was installed yesterday, so I won't be changing that every 2 days thats for sure. As for the other one, I don't top off often because the water gets dirty quickly. Which can lead to calcification in your res of nutes. Also Bubbles and the other one are drinking water that fast, that it needed to be done.

2. any more pics??? how are they comin along?? doin well i hope.

3. About to do a pic update right now! :D

4. #204 DWC4Life, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
    -------------------
    Picture Update
    -------------------

THE DWC LADIES (hopefully both ladies with no man parts)

IMG_1184.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info Update:

So I DIY'd my own SCROG net and installed it. If you look you can see there is the capability to install a 2nd tier of netting. I will be doing that this week (before flowering, maybe even today if I can find the time).

Bubbles might be a hermie, check the pictures to help me confirm. I think this because I found and cut off what appeared to be a single male flower off the lower nodes of the main stem.

The 3 coco plants have been moved to a temporary space since it got SO crowded in my space.

They are each under a 150w CFL with 4xT5(40w) overhead in the space (not centered on them, just room lighting), and some other fixture (guessing a 100w T8) on the side providing supplemental lighting.

In terms of pruning, Bubbles has been getting lollipopped like crazy the past couple days. Way too much lower growth that really isn't going to pull much in, in terms of harvest. I don't want to nuke the plant with pruning, so I'm taking my time with it. Shes been stressed enough as it is. As for the other DWC plant, I saw a bit of cal-mag defic start to show up on a few leaves, so I adressed that, and will be pruning some lower stuff on her that isn't getting enough light as well. Going to take clones from her cuttings. Took 3 the other day as an experiment, and they all started to root (without root hormones, or anything special, just sticking them into my organic Coco mix). I pulled those as they were an experiment, and will take new ones shortly. Going to go the route of perpetual growing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bubbles @ 48 days old (Still not into flowering. Getting the 2nd DWC plant into her 17 gal res today, filling it up, and then doing a 32 hour period of darkness starting tonight.

PS: I think I may of found a single male flower on her main stem. I removed it immediately (looked like a ball on a tiny little arm). Really hoping you guys can help me confirm or deny it being a female or the dreaded hermie since I'm new to sexing.

Worst case scenario, off goes Bubbles head; I then put 1 coco in with the remaining DWC plant or alternatively I just let the remaining DWC plant veg for a bit longer so she can become a monster plant and then flower.

Question, and it may be a dumb one, just not sure and want to confirm, but if I had to cut down Bubbles, is there anyway to extract the oils in her? I don't recall if THC is just not present until flowering in the plant as a whole, or if is naturally occuring throughout the plant during its life? I could probably just google this, but I'm making this post now, so oh well. Also what about CBD? Is that present before flowering?

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG thats a 1/2" pvc pipe next to her stem

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

NL or BB (still not sure which one it is lol) (2nd DWC) @ day 43 (I have a feeling if she gets the whole space to herself she will be a 2lb plant provided- she continues to do stellar(ly) well!)

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE COCO LADIES

IMG_1168.JPG

Buddy @ 46 days old (shes tiny for being so far into veg...)

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

Big Bud @ 36 days old

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

Bubblegum @ 36 days old

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

Sorry for the lack of updates, so stressed and busy recently with all the shit thats going on in my life. Trying to just keep up with the insanity of everything haha.

5. Possible? Yes. Worth while? Debatable to no end

6. So still no confirmation on wether you guys think Bubbles is a female or hermie at this point...going to assume shes looking normal for a female until someone points out otherwise I guess heh.

7. So that means there is THC/CBD present in the plant before flowering then? Hmm, well, where theres a will, theres a way.

8. Post any pics you have of what you think looks like a hermie part on it. As for thc/cbd it will produce small amounts of it in veg but in flowering when bud sites start growing is when it really produces it. More as it gets closer to being done.

9. The 1st picture under "Bubbles" section. And thank you for clarifying that.

10. From the angle of that pic I don't see anything that looked like a male part.

11. Mine finished up a couple weeks ago, got 22 grams dried, on one plant without doing shit to it, only using a t5 setup. So I was very excited about it. Over all the smoke was good, I didnt let it cure which probably woulda made the taste exploded, but it was extremely fruitty for just letting it dry. Smoked well, in bowls and joints. The high was more of a head high, not sure if its cause i cut early(i was going on a trip and was worried about it being left alone so i just chopped it down), most of the crystals were cloudy, very few amber so im not sure if that mad a huge difference. Plant got big, about 5ft almost. That was the only problem I had with it, cuz it literally came to the top of my growing space(also another reason i cut it early). But that was really my fault, I should of read the description better before i palnted it(it was a freebie from attitude so wasnt that concerned about it). But over all a good plant, def going to grow this better. I rate 8/10

12. Hope the lack of activity here doesn't mean your plants went the way mine did :(  Good luck bro!

13. Heya buddy, I'll have to see what happened with yours. I've just been neglecting updating on here as I've had my hands full with now 9 plants. I'm about to do a picture update here in a minute.

One plant (Bubbles) got really bad nute lockout due to my neglegence to flush regularly on her. Decided that 17 gal res is way too big and a hassle. Not worth the while, while im in my current space.

So Bubbles isn't looking to yield much of anything. Just gonna save her for oil imo.

The Big bug aka Budette is looking nearly perfect. Shes going to be some grade A++ meds. Looking at a really nice yield too as it is, with a little over a week before harvest still :D.

Anyways onto the update!

14. Welp, I'm back, with a little over a week till harvest!

Sorry about that guys, I've had my hands quite full between perpetually growing, and studying on my free time as much as I can into new techniques and such. I intend to go legal once my state does and preferably work for a dispensary as a caregiver. Also been diving into the art of breeding and genetics. Its going to be a few months before I will have the space to devote to breeding, but I will at some point ^_^

Good news and bad news;

Good news first- Budette is looking to be some of the prettiest and frostiest buds I've seen in my past 10 years of smoking. Been keeping the temps at the extremes of the spectrum since I added in CO2 into the grow as a technique to increase trichrome production. As a side effect of the colder night temps I'm noticing a really healthy amount of purple in the buds across the board. Gorgeous buds yo.

Other good news- Decided to be ballsy and take 2 triple (yes I said TRIPLE) headed clones off Bubbles, and just stick it in solo cups with some coco and nutes. Well the good news is BOTH of them rooted without me doing anything other than feed them and give them light. Nope I didn't control humidity levels or even attempt to for them. One of which has been transplanted into a 5 gal smart pot with organic coco. LSTing that one already. Both of them are the healthiest clones I've seen anywhere. I'm either really lucky, or have a gift with plants.

Bad news- Welp, Bubbles had a really bad case of nute lockout which I didn't resolve in time. Shes not dead by any means, but her yield is looking sad and pathetic with just over a week left. Frosty leaves and buds though, will def be saving her for BHO.

Added things into the grow since last update;

1) DIY CO2 16 oz Bottle x2 [dry active yeast, sugar, water, & shake]

2) Light socket splitter 4 way x 2 [got roughly about 125-200w on each one in CFL's, focusing these nearly exclusively on Budette these last 2 weeks, meaning Budette is getting an extra 400w of CFL every day, bringing the total wattage on her up to a potential 1000w or so of light]

3) A dedicated fan [had one before but it was too big]

4) New technique- Defoliation during late veg-flowering. [I've done enough studying into every aspect of pruning/training at this point, to where I've come to the conclusion, that a combination of light lollipopping and SELECTIVE defoliation of CERTAIN fan leaves to help promote better light distribution works the best. See Ryan Riley's book "Growing Elite Marijuana" for more info on defoliation. Honestly thats one of the best books and most comprehensive on growing period. Ed Rosenthal's book pales in comparison]

5) Another Bubblegum plant!

Plans for next flowering cycle:

1) Add 2nd tier onto scrog net after redoing bottom layers netting. This will serve two purposes; the first of which is simply just being badass cause who the fuck else does a 2 tier scrog net, and if you know someone else who does, fuck off, I'm just going to do 3 tiers :p, and the 2nd of which being bud support. OH and I guess there is a 3rd too, canopy management. Duh.

2) Get some new genetics ordered. Going to get a cheese in the mix (23.6% thc, forget the strain name right now, but ill link it later), along with Alaskan Thunderfuck, just because who the fuck has had Alaskan Thunderfuck before? Plus it looks delicious. Also White Widow is happening in soil with hardcore LST and monstercropping.

2.5) As mentioned in 2, Soil. Yes, I said it. I'm going to be bringing in soil into the mix of things as well. I know, I know, my name...but I want to be a potemon master, TEH VERY BEST TERE EVAH WUS. No seriously though, as much as I joke around in postings, I'm determined to make a fine art out of this as I continue to study and learn more and more.

3) Screw the 17 gallon res. Total pain in my ass to flush or drain other than using a submersible pump, even then still a pain. So back to just 5 gallon res's. Budette did perfectly fine in her's, I guess I over though it a bit. Plus since getting a submersible pump its made life 10x easier when it comes to watering the lot of hungry horny ladies. Needy bitches hehe.

4) I know I'm forgetting something. Tits. I will be getting a pair of tits for the grow. Yes that is right folks! Either a blowup doll or a girl friend with a spectacular rack. TBD.

Alright onto the pictures!

PS: Some photos are under HPS, some under CFL, some under BOTH. Keep that in mind when looking for colors in pics.

PPS: Been taking off some of the tiny tiny popcorn buds along the way to judge where the plant is in terms of ripeness/high. and WOO WEE, The Big Bud is amazing, and that was off of stuff 2 weeks ago. I cannot even imagine how medicated I will be when they are properly cured instead of a decarb at 246 degrees in the oven for 60 mins (converts 99% of the THCA to THC in 60 mins and removes nearly 99% of the moisture too, but obviously is not an accurate way to judge taste or how it smokes).

PPPS: I can totally smell the Skunk genetics in Big Bud. Phew! Almost nauseating at this point.

Question for you all; How much weight do you think I'm looking at (just for Big Bud) dry? My guess is somewhere around 250-450g. Def don't think I hit the 1lb mark with this plant. Although these buds are SERIOUSLY dense as fuck. They haven't been growing nearly as much vertically as they have been horizontally. The biggest cola looks like its going to be around 30-60g dry :eek:. Keep in mind she has a week left still of pure water flushing (Shes currently at ~600 ppm flush, and will start pure water flush right after a 60min flush with some Clearex on Sunday), so I'm expecting these buds to get quite bigger in the next week, since flushing seems to put them into a frenzy of production/development as they think they are dying, well which they are *tear*. Also keep in mind that you are seeing about 55%-60% of the buds at most in the wide shot of Budette, since some are hidden by the wall of the closet, and some have fallen down onto the scrog net in the back corner due to weight, and a bunch just are being blocked by various things in the picture (they aren't even massive tops there either where they are falling over, hence why I think these are some seriously dense buds).

Budette
    ----------

You can totally see even a big difference in the size of the buds by checking out the timestamps on the photos and comparing ^_^

PS: God damn dog fur gets everywhere. The buds just love catching them too. I swear to god I spend like 45 fuckin minutes every day picking off the damn dog fur with tweezers. They be cloning themselves, I swear to bob.

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1308.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

Bubbles
    -----------

I'll post more pics of her come harvest. I'm too ashamed of myself with her right now... >.<

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1310.JPG

Bubbles Jr
    --------------

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

Bubblegum Clones
    ------------------------

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

FYI: Part of the reason I don't update as much as I would LIKE (yes I would like to update more), is because of the fact uploading these quality of photos via the browsing security I use takes for-fucking-ever. It's taken me 3 hours to upload all these photo's. And my internet is not sluggish either, its just the security slowing it down. Hopefully once legalization hits and/or the legal grey area here expands further to make things a bit safer, I will be able to upload without this security and not have to deal with these 3+ hour upload sesh's x.x. I was originally going to upload photos from the past month, but fuck that, sorry guys.

Anyways, enjoy! Feedback is always welcome :D

15. Nevermind, confirmed females. Did find a cluster of 2 unripe male flowers though when trimming off some of the tiny lower buds. Scanned for others but I didnt find any. Not worried about the 2, could just be a sign of ripeness, which would make sense at this point.

16. How's the girls going?