Grampas growing his hybrid F1s

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by pointswest, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Loved seeing this back up after a few months. Been watching the beauty unfold and taking plenty of inspiration along the way, first from the greenhouse and organic growing and now in breeding.

That Big Sur Holy Weed just isn't the kind of thing that most cats in today's medical scene ever run into, much less know anything about. Mind going into a little detail about it, stories from back in the day, where it came from, etc?

2. #62 pointswest, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    Big Sur Holy Weed (aka Trip) was bred by a monk named Perry in the early 60's- 70's.  There is a lot of speculation on the origins, but it is widely believed by growers close to the true cut, the parents were Purple Zacateacus crossed with an afgan skunk.  The true cuts were sold by a grower named Danbo (not to be confused with D Danko).   Over the years all dissapered and a grower in CA shared the cut with Chimera.  Because there were no reg seeds left by this time for male selection, Chimera crossed the cuttings with DJ Shorts Blueberry male, creating the seeds I used, BSHW x Blueberry.

The hybrid does not seem to be quite as strong as the original I remember, but is still an outstanding selection.  I am in my third backcross now and hope to remove some of the Blueberry traits and get a plant more closely related to the original.  Bodhi seeds had a few hybrids he thought might be from BSHW if still available.  The seeds I got were from a special release by Chimera, I don't know if any are available now.

There is a good discussion on IC at this thread by some who have knowledge of this strain and the grower last known to have a true cutting.  .

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=193553

HTH

PW

3. Awesome, thanks PW. Got a chair pulled up with the pipe loaded and I'm ready to see how the year unfolds in the greenhouses.

Grow on, brother! 

4. #64 donothinggardening, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
    Heya PW :wave:

Had a question or two for ya... as I said before, I am planning to build a simple hoop house at some point this spring (not today, brrrr). I was wondering when you would suggest putting plants outside for my area? The hoop house is going to be small... only 8'x8'x8' is what I am thinking. So the plants can't get huge. I only plan to have two or three small plants. Hoping for maybe 4 oz per plant or something, nothing too serious. Just something to fill the void when it gets too hot for indoor growing. The rest of the space will be devoted to vegetable gardening.

So I wasn't sure how to go about it.. if I put small clones out in the beginning of june, they will probably outgrow my space, right? Would it be better to veg inside under 24 hrs of light until they get to desired size, then move plants outside after June 21 to induce blooming?

I guess experience is the best teacher. If you have any tips for me, I would surely appreciate it. Thanks PW :wave:

Btw, these are the two cultivars I had in mind for the greenhouse. On my second cyclr growing the 8 Miles High indoor right now. So far I am liking it :)

I know you are not one for "designer seeds", but I have had good experiences with Mandala so far.

http://mandalaseeds.com/Catalogue/8-Miles-High

http://mandalaseeds.com/Catalogue/Mandala-1

5. TJ..

thanks for bumping this gem.

couple years late, but all subbed.

PW..

you rock man!
    thanks for sharing the garden..

6. #66 pointswest, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    TJ, you could put 4 plants in the 64sqft and get a good yield.  If you plant into pots and not in the ground you can plant by the 1st week in June outside.  Put the pots on 4' centers,  10-15 gal pots will  stay under 8' with a little topping or training if needed.  You could also use eight 5gal on 2' ctrs and get the same total harvest, but more smaller plants and buds.

If growing from seed, start the first or second week of April in a 2 1/2" pot then transplant into a 4 1/2 deep or 1gal pot until transplanting into the final pots.  If starting with cuttings, have the cutting rooted by mid April, then transplant into the 4 1/2" or 1gal pot until transplanting to the final pot.  Grow the cuttings at 16 hrs daylength so the differential between indoors and out will be minimal at transplant time outdoors to avoid early flowering and reversals.  By June 1 the daylength in our area will be 14 hrs 45 min, so reversals should not be a problem if using this method.

I know i am a COB when it comes to buying seeds, but I have purchased millions of seeds from some of the largest seed companies in the world and have never paid the outrageous prices MJ seed banks charge, 10-20/seed, never ever, pure greed.  Mandella is one of the few seed brokers I would ever buy from if I needed seeds.  Your selections look good and should finish outside in CO most years.  His Satori mix is a great deal also.  I hope you bought reg seed so you can make your own.  Soon you will be growing single colas larger than those whole autos.

PW

7. #67 donothinggardening, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
    PW thanks very much for the detailed answer that is very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to put that down for me. Copied and pasted into my notes :)

I like the idea of using 10-15 gallon pots and keeping my plant numbers low.

Very excited to get started this season and I will keep you updated with the progress. Hopefully I can do the Mandala plants some justice outdoors. Cheers man :wave:

8. Cleared a small patch of soil for the hoop house. Southern slope/exposure, full sun, water spigot about 30' away :metal: super excited :) I hope you are doing well, PW :wave:

Attached Files:

9. #69 pointswest, May 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015