Grampas growing his hybrid F1s

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by pointswest, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Forgot my point, sometimes it's worth it to push that late/early seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #42 pointswest, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
    This week we harvested half of the tips from the Tora Bora F1 and the remaining buds from the Strawberry Haze F1.  One more cutting on the indica hybrids and we will finish the harvest of all the early strains.

P1000755.JPG P1000756.JPG P1000767.JPG

We still wait patiently on the sativa strains to finish.  The Viet Nam Black is close to harvest and is growing some fantastic multi-branched colas.  Some of the colas have put on so much weight this week, the branches are starting to break off from the weight, even with support.

P1000757.JPG P1000759.JPG P1000760.JPG P1000761.JPG

Jack  Herrer, Alaskan Ice and Columbian Gold are still putting out lots of new stigmas so we will wait another week or two to start the cutting on these late season plants.

P1000763.JPG P1000762.JPG P1000764.JPG P1000765.JPG

Bountiful harvest to all

PW

3. Phenominal work year after year PW. Great job

CW

4. #44 pointswest, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
    CW, thanks for the interest and compliments.  Not too many looking at this grow, glad to have your company.  Now that everyone is finishing their harvest, it is time for us to start cutting our sativa plants.  Thursday is going to have a low of 0 degrees F.  Our GH will only hold temps about 20 degrees above the ambient outside temperatures, so we are scrambling to work up the harvest before Thursday night.  The three of us have been pruning for over 110 man-hours to get the crop harvested before freeze.  Today might be the last of the harvesting.

P1000779.JPG P1000783.JPG P1000785.JPG P1000787.JPG P1000788.JPG P1000790.JPG

The larger colas on these plants grew to arm sized and the largest is almost as big as my leg, so don't tell me to rip the leaves to get larger flowers, it just is not necessary. These plants were grown with 3 cups of organic feed meals/cuft and two EWC teas, once in veg and once in flower.  Next year I will not use any teas after  inoculating the soil in spring.  I firmly believe the necessary amendments for good growth can be added at the beginning of the grow and to the working compost.  The teas were not necessary this year.  I have stunted my plants with teas more than it has helped and will not use them unless the plant is asking for additional nutrients on future grows.  Read the plant, not the seed package for better growth.

P1000792.JPG P1000791.JPG P1000794.JPG P1000796.JPG P1000798.JPG

I apologize for the lousy pictures this time, breathing all this vapor from pruning, makes me a little unsteady for snapping pics.  Now it is time to leave and finish up the last of the pruning.

Bountiful harvests to all

PW

5. Love your take on soils and teas! 100% agree with you. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to Mr and Mrs Pointswest. 

[​IMG]

^^ not my pic^^ just wish it was... my ass isn't creative enough to think past yields.. :eek:

7. Love your crops, love the way you grow treat and care for them. and most of all, I love that Christmas Tree full of buds. What can I say, I am one envious soul wanting to learn more how you did it. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

8. PW where you been buddy hope things are going good for you man.

Happy smoking and growing.

Wgg

Sent from my Z796C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. WGG, thanks for stopping by. Haven't seen you in a while, did you get rained out on the wet side and move back to the lake and EC?  Not much going on here, too cold for outside so getting the soil recharged for this spring.  It took us a couple of years to transition to the organic soils, but we are consistently getting 10+ each run in our converted shed.  Have been growing a few girls from the flowering cuttings during the winter under a 6 bulb t5 for a little change from outside.  It needs to warm up soon, I have 11 three gallon girls under one light and it is getting pretty crowded in there, need that 14 hr day to arrive soon so I can move out for some room to grow.

I got really sick after harvest and stopped updating this winter.   I will write up a summary of the grow soon, to finish up last year's grow.  We are working on a plant I call Devil's Thumb.  This  year we will plant the F2's and start searching for keepers.  Most of the breeding has been done with 100% sativa plants crossed with an old rare strain called Big Sur Holy Weed (AKA Trip) from the early 70's.  The Viet Nam Black X Thai crosses have really produced some really nice hybrids with extreme branching and thousands of bud sites produced on 12' plants inside the shed.  We are reducing the long bloom  on the sativa's creating these hybrids, some of the pure landrace were taking 17-20 weeks to finish, so we have reduced this flower period by 3-4 weeks with the first breeding.  We hope to get some sativa plants to finish by mid Oct outside at 40N latitude with these new hybrids and more breeding.

Best of growing

PW

10. I will post a few of the hybrids from the 2014 season grow in this thread since I didn't start a new thread for this year.  We have filled the greenhouse again with the F1's from our breeding project and planted a few outside in soil and a few more in pots.  The media in the containers is the same soils used in several previous grows and was re-amended with the meal mix at planting time.  An alfalfa tea was used one month after transplant and a kelp tea was used once when flowering   started.  Pro tec silica was used a couple of times a month when watering.  No other fertilizer or "bloom boosters" (whatever that is... LOL) were used for growing this crop.

The crop was treated with spinosad  twice a month and the plants stayed insect free on most plants.  Two plants that were more susceptible to mites were treated more frequently and control was achieved by flowering time.  All plants were topped frequently until the phyllotaxy of the leaf arrangement changed from alternate to opposite, then left alone to finish flowering.

P1020037.JPG P1020038.JPG
    P1020039.JPG P1020040.JPG

All but the two indica leaning hybrids have reached heights of 8-12' and have now stopped stretching and are starting to size up the flowers nicely.  Four out of twelve in the greenhouse look like they will finish in two to three more weeks,  The sativa phenotypes have started flowering better now that the day-length is getting lower than 12 hours, but they will have another six to eight weeks to finish.  I hope they will finish by the first week in Dec, because we cannot keep the temps high enough to keep from freezing after that time.

P1020042.JPG P1020045.JPG
    P1020047.JPG P1020048.JPG
    P1020050.JPG P1020051.JPG P1020054.JPG P1020056.JPG P1020057.JPG P1020059.JPG P1020060.JPG P1020061.JPG

A few plants in the back yard and in the rear of the barnyard are still growing well, even after a day of snow and sleet last week.   Nighttime temperatures are running from 32-50F at night.  I am crossing my fingers for another month of Indian Summer to get enough time to finish the outdoor plants and am building a temporary shelter for the outside plants.  The colder temperatures are generating some interesting colors on some buds outside.

P1020062.JPG P1020064.JPG P1020031.JPG P1020034.JPG P1020035.JPG P1020036.JPG

Heavy harvests to all

PW

11. Thanks for sharing PW. Always an impressive show you put on in there. :smoke:

CW

12. #52 pointswest, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
    With winter rapidly approaching it is time to start the harvesting of the early girls.  The night temperatures are between 30-40F now so the tops from the ripe varieties were taken this week.  The cold nights are causing the older fan leaves to golden up as the plant starts senescence. 

P1020074.JPG P1020075.JPG
    P1020081.JPG P1020078.JPG

The later flowering sativa varieties were starting to hit the roof, but as the colas size up and get heavier they are starting to LST on their own from the weight of the flowers.  I can't wait to see the results after 6-8 more weeks flowering on these late season plants.

P1020082.JPG P1020083.JPG P1020084.JPG P1020086.JPG P1020088.JPG

I can only encourage people to make their own seed stock.  The results may be surprising.

PW

13. #53 pointswest, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
    Pre harvest shots of the hybrids:

P1020093.JPG P1020094.JPG P1020095.JPG P1020096.JPG P1020097.JPG P1020098.JPG P1020099.JPG P1020092.JPG

A few outside enjoying their new cover.  These plants were grown with only alfalfa, horse and goat manure and two manure teas for the whole cycle.  The left corner is a sativa hybrid from the breeding and the two on the right are Jack Herer sativas.  Both varieties are in week 8 of flower and have 6-7 weeks to go.

P1020102.JPG P1020103.JPG P1020105.JPG P1020108.JPG P1020106.JPG P1020111.JPG P1020113.JPG

PW

14. Wow you had a great season PW! I am bummed that I missed it. Talk about monster colas! :eek: Will definitely be watching for the next installment. I am planning a hoop house build as soon as I get a good dry weekend. Will hopefully get to try my hand at a couple of outdoor plants next summer. Will probably be asking you a lot of questions lol. Take it easy friend

15. Thanks for stopping in TJ.  I don't get many visitors because I don't link my grows to my signature and my plants don't have catchy seed bank names, everyone but me would call them bagseeds.   You are welcome to come down anytime if you want to see them in real life.  I was hoping you would call in Oct for a look just before harvest.  If you want info on greenhouse construction or suppliers let me know and I may be able to help with any questions.

PW

16. Those old school sativa genes sure put on quite the show. :D thank you for the welcome, I will definitely keep that in mind for next season. Would be quite the sight to see. I will let you know when I start building the hoop house.

17. Pretty impressive how large those plants get in 20-30 gallon containers with such minimal inputs. Definitely inspiring to see what can be accomplished in a CO greenhouse :D

18. MY GOODNESS!
    You are a god, sir!

Haha in your dreams ^.^ Anyways, your crops are looking AMAZING
    Do you grow for patients or are you just in a legal state? (Or the alternative which you don't have to answer :)

Yes, it's amazing to see the hoops that people jump through to grow weed.  I can only laugh when I see those batteries of 6-10 quarts of diluted ferts sitting on growers shelves at $25/ bottle and they are so weak you have to use them  almost every watering.  These plants were grown for 7 months in the final pots for less than $15/plant using only a couple of handfuls of the meal mix fertilizer and 1/2 bag of EWC. 

CO,thanks for the visit, no god, just an old man who knows how to grow plants and  refuses to shop at blackmarket or commercial shops for unknown MJ.  I am in a legal state and we just share the crop between the three growers and give a lot to friends.  Some is converted to tinctures for a dying friend.  Cash cropping is decades removed from our lives.  The goal is to never run out, and we have reached that goal.

PW

20. Amazing. Good to hear.
    Hopefully Canada will get its head out of its ass when Trudeau gets in and I will be in a position to grow enough to give away. I do make a few sales to close friends but only enough to cover costs .