Grampas growing his hybrid F1s

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by pointswest, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Looks great! Your grandpa is doing an awesome thing!  :hello:

2. The plants outside in smaller pots are now starting to flower well, and lots of small flowers are starting to fill out, and some are fist sized at this time.  The night temperatures here are starting to get down to the low 50's and the natural senescence is starting with the older fan leaves.  The cooler temps are starting to bring out some color in the flower leaflets also.  We will wait three or four more weeks, then begin to harvest the early flowering varieties we have outside.

. P1000670.JPG P1000671.JPG P1000672.JPG P1000674.JPG
    P1000673.JPG P1000675.JPG P1000676.JPG P1000677.JPG

Best of harvests to all

PW

3. Hey PW, all your plants look amazing man, i really dig what ya'll got goin on. 

hey i gotta question for ya, i notice in one of your old journals you said that you sprayed lavender on your plants, i was just curious as to why you used lavender, did ya'll use essential oil or did you just cut some actual lavender plants nd brew em up?

4. #24 pointswest, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
    SB, thanks for stopping in.  We spray weekly with a rotation of lavender tea, spinosad, neem oil, and rosemary  oil tea.  We harvest the lavender flowers from perennial plants in the yard then make a tea with the flowers.  spinosad and neem oil sprays are used as directed on the labels and we use the rosemary oils from the health food shop and use it in a tea.  These sprays are for preventative and control measures to keep mite outbreaks to a minimum.  In the flowering stages we only use spinosad and the lavender rotation, if needed, once the flowers start to size up.

PW

5. Nice grow pw. Your setup is on point. You have some monsters growing. Love the organic style too.

SIG: i dont do drugs, i set plants on fire and breathe!!!

6. ah right on, looks like im gonna have to get myself some lavender seeds germin for next season then  :hello:
    unfortunately i live in a criminalized state so growing cannabis is a big no no, but i do work in an organic veggie greenhouse(s) and weve had terrible luck with spidermites this season so i am lookin forward to trying this out.
    Have you ever heard of spike lavender? from what ive read its basically a cross between a peppermint and lavender plant, i think i read somewhere that it actually melts spider mites and their eggs  :smoking: at any rate thanks for the advice nd have a great harvest man!!

7. #27 pointswest, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
    When trying to source this plant, look for Lavendula latifolia, common name is spike lavender or Portuguese lavender.  Another perennial variety is Lavendula angustifolia.  An easy perennial variety from seed is Lavendula angustifolia "Munstead".   You would be better off buying a 3-4" or gallon, one year old plant than starting from seed for quicker results.

Here is a link to steamed oils:  http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/eo/spikelavender.php

Many times you can find the oils in health food stores.

PW

8. What kind of soil are you using. What's in it?

9. Thank you so much PW! Just ordered an ounce of the spike lavender oil, i couldnt seem to come across a reliable vendor for already sprouted lavandula latifolia so i guess im just going to have to order some seeds and try to get em going during the winter grow season, no biggy. i did try to get some regular lavender going from seed this year but it just didnt work out, do you ave any tips for starting em up from seed?

well before we tilled the ground we had a soil analysis done, and now i cant seem to find the analysis paper for that, but it was definitely a loamy clay soil (cant tell you the exact ratio), based on the analysis we tilled in a 6 inch layer of cotton burr compost, along with 5 lbs of neem seed meal, 1 lbs kelp meal, and 3 lbs of crab shell meal per 100 sq foot, collectively all this was done on about a quarter acre.

10. #30 pointswest, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013

Many perennial seeds will benefit from 42 or more days of cold stratification before sowing, to improve germination.

PW

11. gotcha  :metal: 

So hows the ol greenhouse coming along?

12. #32 pointswest, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013
    We will give the largest colas about one more week, then start taking the solid colas off first, then let the lower buds grow larger before complete harvest.  We cut a small bud from the largest plant for testing soon.  Everything looks promising, can't wait to start trimming, one of the best parties of the year..

P1000682.JPG P1000683.JPG P1000684.JPG P1000685.JPG
    P1000686.JPG P1000699.JPG

The greenhouse is starting to flower well, but is behind some of the outdoor plants because there is a large number of sativa varieties in there.  The Jack Herer continues to be the monster plant with an incredible number of branches, looking forward to seeing these ripen, they should finish with our mid flowering plants.   The Vietnam x Thai are also going to finish sooner this year and are producing hundreds of colas from the massive branching.  The Alaskan Ice and Columbian are huge plants, but are just starting to flower, so we keep our fingers crossed.  The Tora Bora x BSHW and the BSHW backcross are going to be ready to cut in a couple of weeks.  Our breeding for F2's is successful as you can see the sepals spreading and showing the newly formed seeds in the sixth photo frame.

P1000688.JPG P1000689.JPG P1000691.JPG P1000693.JPG P1000694.JPG P1000695.JPG   P1000697.JPG P1000698.JPG

Another plot of late planted testers are starting to finish up also.  These plants are grown at 6000' and are starting to color up from the cold nights, with temperature dropping to 37F already.

P1000700.JPG P1000701.JPG
    P1000702.JPG P1000703.JPG P1000704.JPG P1000706.JPG P1000707.JPG P1000708.JPG

Best of harvest to all

PW

13. Holy cow PW! Everything looks kickass!  :hello:  those cold nights are really bringin out the color in those fan leaves eh. Im a little envious of the fact that your about to have loads of sativa buds pretty soon (i really love sativas, just cant seem to find any around here). so what plant did you take that test bud off of? everything looks killer man, rock on!  :metal:

14. #34 pointswest, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013
    The test bud was cut from the large outdoor plant in the ground.  Since that picture, it has dropped below freezing here and we have started to remove the rest of the colas from this plant and have harvested the plants in the 7-10 gal pots growing outside.   There were four main colas like the one pictured and many secondary colas.  These plants I will call "Devils Thumb".  I did not remove the leaves from my plants, so I apologize for the small buds produced, without defoliation, I could only get them to twice the size of a 2 ltr bottle lol.    :eek:  :confused_2: P1000714.JPG

PW

15. Holy shit! That's awesome. I thought it was a water bottle at first.

I like to post a large cola to prove you don't need to tear leaves off your plants to achieve good results.  Out of curiosity I weighed the buds cut from the main stem of this cola after a week of hang drying and a two week cure, the cola yielded 65 grams three weeks after dry and cure.  The total weight from the four largest colas on this plant after curring was 267 grams.  These plants were grown with only two manure teas and two handfuls of fertilizer meal mix for the entire grow.

PW

17. #37 pointswest, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
    We have had to start harvesting the outdoor plants. Two days ago I woke up to 10 " of new snow on the deck outside. The greenhouse plants are still growing in the cold nights. We have added an electric heater to the GH to keep the sativa plants growing. The pure sativa's have been blooming for 8 weeks now and we expect them to finish in 4-6 more weeks. So far the greenhouse has provided enough protection to keep from freezing inside.

P1000718.JPG P1000722.JPG P1000717.JPG P1000724.JPG

Yesterday we cut a few colas that were growing into the aisles to get a sampler of the finished product. The vapors while trimming from the Strawberry Haze X Tora Bora F1 was so intense it made your eyes water and the fruity smell was a real treat.

P1000720.JPG P1000726.JPG
    P1000727.JPG P1000729.JPG

At this time we hope to grow into the end of Nov to finish the sativa plants, mother nature has the outcome in her hands, we hope for the best.

Bountiful harvests to all

PW

18. That's too bad about the weather. I'm pretty sure it's about to winter here too. Not much fall this time around.

19. #39 pointswest, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
    Harvest time is quickly approaching here. The outside temperatures are getting cold enough that we will have to cut the remaining outdoor plants this week. the colas on the Vietnam hybrid have grown to about two feet long on the branch tips, it will make a very good harvest for a late planted July crop.

P1000742.JPG P1000740.JPG P1000743.JPG P1000744.JPG

Three indoor GH plants were ready to start cutting and we took about half of the ripe colas yesterday. The Vietnam X Thai in the greenhouse continues to branch out and has hundreds of tip colas forming, they should be multiple #'s each when finished.

P1000745.JPG P1000746.JPG P1000747.JPG P1000748.JPG

The later season sativa; Alaskan Ice, Colombian Gold and the Jack Herrer, have been blooming for about 10 weeks now, I think we will be able to keep the greenhouse plants from freezing and should be able to get another 3-5 weeks flowering to finish this year. Starting the long flowering sativa's later in the spring kept the plants from early flowering and reversals and should be able to finish properly this year if we don't get frozen out before finish.

P1000749.JPG P1000750.JPG P1000751.JPG P1000753.JPG

Bountiful harvests to all

PW

20. I am stretching my boating season too. Half winterized with a lamp in the engine compartment to keep the block from freezing and cracking. Totally worth it when you get to ride as the only people on glassy water though.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app