Why do white people fight for the right to use the n word?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by billsxclinton, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Then become an activist and do something about it instead of calling names on a forum.

2. #42 Boats And Hoes, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013

If words aren't serious, why aren't u okay with me calling u names??? (I called u the name twice! and it's getting to u...) Picture being called a negative word, or name, that's been in use, and specifically targeted at ur people, for 4-500 years (after the same people who call u this word kill and slaughter ur whole family)!

And I really don't mean to offend, bro... but, ur inability to grasp the seriousness of such a word, or any word at that, is disturbing, i.e., words mean something, even if they mean nothing to you!

3. You don't mean to offend, but yet you insult me further. Interesting.

Try and understand that just because you're so liberal on this subject, it doesn't give you the right to insult and use ad hominem tactics against those that don't see things the same way you do.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #44 Boats And Hoes, Jul 5, 2013

How did I "insult" u?

For someone who doesn't care about words, or for someone that says words hold no true weight, u seem to take things very personal, and u get offly defensive... interesting.

U say, "it doesn't give me the right to insult" -- I don't have the "right", really?? Isn't what's
    "right" just a word; a word that means nothing, or a word that's "no big deal", as u put it. Yet, even in ur assertion of the concept of "rights", u don't see why people have a problem with white people using the "n" word... interesting.

5. Are you really so foolish as to say physical pain doesn't last? Physical pain doesn't require consciousness or for you to be focusing on it for it to be happening. Not to mention this;

Is mental pain defined all over the place, not physical pain.

6. #46 Deleted member 95373, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    I don't care about the little tiff you guys are having but I do want to say that people who say "interesting" in conversation with other people about other people are the most pretentious fuckers on the planet.

7. #47 Boats And Hoes, Jul 5, 2013

I never said physical pain doesn't hold any weight, friend... I specifically said, "only by u cognitavely thinking about ur pain and torment do u give it true weight". Thinking about the pain makes it that much worse, i.e., thought about sensations enhances sensations... why do u think when someone is in pain, people say, "try not thinking about it"?

8. #48 Boats And Hoes, Jul 5, 2013

Did I start with it... or am I simply mirroring his usage of the word...?

Ur so quick to try and find fault in my posts, mhhmm... interesting. :smoking:

Just because we disgree about certain parts of our philosophy does not mean we always have to be at odds...

9. If you're going to quote me, get it all correct instead of just one. Some things you quoted me on I didn't even type.

I believe I acknowledged that some people do think of the "n" word as an oppressive term coming from a white guy.

Do I think some people get totally carried away with the word and the meaning, absolutely.

Even though I still think its a word, I still respect others feelings about it and don't say it openly or at all for that matter.

I'm over this.

10. Is this two white people arguing over the 'n' word??

Classic.  :laughing:

11. But that's just not true, this "true" weight as you put it is simply implying that there is greater pain to be had when thinking about the injury which is not only something I disagree with, it just isn't valid. Thinking about you physical pain in no way creates more physical pain. Cursing while in pain is supposed to help with pain relief and I'd say cursing could be considered akin to thinking about the injury.

As for thoughts about sensations increasing sensations, that's pretty ludicrous IMO. I've never eaten something, considered it tasty, then thought about it and it as more tasty. I can't even think of a single realistic example for that other than maybe sex, but sex is mostly about what you're attracted to(ergo a mental thing) in the first place, even then it's not my sensations that increase but my enjoyment of the situation.

Just saw you do it and wanted to put it out there.

12. #52 Boats And Hoes, Jul 5, 2013

If u would of said this from the beginning, then I wouldn't of objected to anything u said...

It's just that u made a very bold and haughty claim, imo, when u specifically stated, "A word shouldn't be that big a deal in the first place." And when u said, "Simmer down. It's just a word."

My whole thing is... yea, one can say it's just a word, but, in actuality, it's not just a word; for words carry weight, and posses intangible powers that affect people in such a intimate way. The word may not a be big deal to u... but that doesn't that's the case for everyone, i.e., just try to empathize.

The reason white people want to say nigga is because it's become slang and part of the culture. Some people especially in music perpetuate that it's a cool word or accepted slang. Now if you say nigger i believe that is fully racist and shouldn't be mentioned. Noone would want to say nigga if people didn't treat it like a slang word. It's pretty much synonymous with stuff like homie. It isn't meant as a offensive thing to say so i think it's all about the intention on how you mean to use the word. A word only has as much power as you lend to it.

14. exactly I never understood why us blacks even care, the bullshit over the word is stupid in itself, and only the context of which you use it matters, like for a joke or If one of my white friends just wants to call me "nigga", then whatever. This world is crazy enough and now I'm suppose to care about If a white person calls me a nigga, just dumb...

15. Forbidden fruit theory dude, when you tell someone they can't do something they want to do it more

Sent from my C6603 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. yall niggas need to chill out. 

say it if you want, but know its like any other "curse" word, call the wrong person the wrong name and you best be prepared for a shit storm.

/thread and all others like it.

17. I don't fight for the right to say it because I already say it. So what, its a word

18. #58 Boats And Hoes, Jul 5, 2013

1.) This is basically ur whole refutation... okay, but that's not at all what I'm saying. I'm not saying that by u thinking about what u ate, that this thought about it will, in turn, make what u ate better; this is not at all what I'm saying, i.e., a strawman.

I'm saying that by thinking about the sensation, as it's happening in the moment, this will raise one's consciousness (either enjoyment or torment) of the sensation itself, i.e., enhancing and highlighting it. (As is the case with physical pain)

2.) Right, u saw something that u thought u can find fault with, even if it was out of context, and u ran with it... putting things out there, just to put it out there, without any refrence to the actual convo; I see you, I see how you move. :rolleyes:

I think everyone should use proper discretion about all words. Too bad most people don't. Gotta think before you speak or you might end up in the ER.

20. #60 Boats And Hoes, Jul 5, 2013

I'm not white... but u thought that I was based off of the way I write, right? Nice stereotyping... only white people can be articulate with a coherent syntax?