Lakewood Ohio 4th of July Police State

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SiicKxShoTz, Jul 2, 2013.

1. The City of Lakewood will have some additional rules in effect at Lakewood Park on Thursday, July 4, 2013 for the Fourth of July festivities.  These rules are being added for the safety and protection of everyone in attendance during the Lakewood Fourth of July celebration.
    The following rules will be in effect at Lakewood Park on July 4, 2013:
    1. All generators, propane and gas fueled grills are prohibited.\t
    2. All tents and shelters are prohibited.\t
    3. Police will be conducting searches of bags and coolers for reasons of public safety.\t
    4. No alcoholic beverages are permitted at any time throughout the year.\t
    5. No personal fireworks.  This includes novelty fireworks like sparklers.\t
    6. No dogs or pets of any kind will be permitted in the park on July 4<sup>th</sup>.\t
    7. The skate park, tennis courts, basketball courts and Kid's Cove playground will be closed at 7:00 PM.
     â€œThere are more people at Lakewood Park for the Fourth of July than at any other time during the year,” stated Mayor Mike Summers.  “Safety is our first priority.  These added security measures will help to ensure that everyone has a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July.”
    http://www.onelakewood.com/News.aspx?NewsID=297

"Clearly the most disturbing item is #3, warrantless police searches of bags and coolers. This is absolutely reprehensible behavior, a flagrant violation of the Bill of Rights. This is how people are treated in a police state."
    Quoted from Police State USA: Land of the Checkpoints.

These rules, searches, and time limits seem to be encroaching more and more into peoples freedom and rights. This should be met with mass protest where everyone brings a grill, their dog, some bottle rockets, and allows no police to search any of their belongings.

2. #2 jay-bird, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
    There are times to shout "police state" and times not to. It's just for one day for obvious reasons. It only takes one person with enough motivation to kill or maim anyone. Children, family, for no reason. No grudge. Because some deranged person feels they have a statement to make.

Edit* If this is the way it's gonna be in Lakewood park every single 4th of July fron now on forever then that is a problem. The surveillance and precautiouns should ease up as tensions and violent attacks ease up. Or when the people feel it's necessary.

3. I dont see what the big deal is, its a state or county park and it's your choice whether you want to go on their property.

4. Well while #3 is unreasonable I don't see the big deal in the rest. The park most likely has alcohol rules in place so that one is just a year round rule, tents pose a fire threat from the fireworks, so do propane grills and generators. Pets are likely to get scared by all the noise involved and go crazy around the park. I don't quite agree with the personal fireworks rule but that is their call, so they likely had a reason. So  #3 is the only thing that is unconstitutional and even unfair. I wouldn't call that a police state, I would call it taking precautions for the countless explosives that are going to be shot in the air near the park.

5. This is one of those times to.

Even the searching of bags alone is comoletely.absurd.

"Public saftey" is not a warrent to search and.violate the 4th ammendment

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. #6 jay-bird, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013
    Too bad that in modern society, where our leaders have bogged us down by liberalism, pussifcation, regulation, and lack of justice, This is what has to be done to ensure another Boston marathon don't happen. It's gay for people who wanted to grill, or bring coolers that they didn't want others to look into, but maybe in a couple years that will change.

7. On some California beaches, there is no drinking or smoking allowed. If someone sees you drinking or smoking, and they dont like it, they pick up thier cellphone and call the beach police. The police come driving up on the sand to make the arrest in front of everybody. I have seen it done many times. Huntington beach and Bolsa Chica state beach in Orange County.  It sucks. I know people on this forum can verify what I am saying.

8. Nowadays all they have to do to suspend your rights is tell you they are suspending your rights. Fuck.

9. Unfornuatly what people aeent realizing by now, is that no matter how much money and power we give to our protectors these attacks still happen.

Is it even possible to make us secure? Is it really worth the cost we are paying?

10. Watch nothing happen at the celebration this July 4th at Lakewood. Just saying. Nothing is 100% definite and classifiable at this point.

11. Weather or not something happens will not be affected by these silly rules.

If someone wants to do something they will find a way

12. Who did the government purchase that property from? With what money? Seems kind of odd to think of it as "their" property.....

13. #13 Jerzeslugga, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013
    Geez fuck not even some beer cans?

Ohio supposed to be a republican state lol...

This is some shit i'd expect to see in  nanny york city.

14. #14 mandrin13, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2013

Bullshit, if alcohol is not allowed in, as with drugs, a search makes sense, this is a state park you dont have to go.  Its been done for years at concerts/ball games....are you really going to try and say that was out of line?  You know, people do sneak both of those things into concerts/ballgames, and naturally after the "attack" in boston authorities will be on higher alert anywhere groups of people congregate. Its just like the TSA searching to make sure people are not bringing weapons on board...whether or not you think the methods they use are extreme, it is YOUR CHOICE to go or not.

When there is a bombing/attack somewhere in the US again, and the police miss it because they relaxed their security measures, people are going to be bitching that not enough was done.  You cant please everyone.

How ridiculous, I can say the same for illegal immigrants, so are you implying that since there will always be some who sneak in, we should just do away with borders and let everyone in, since we cant stop them all?  Just because something has the potential to be abused, doesnt mean it should be done away with completely.

With that defense you have no right to the land either, nor the land/house/apartment you call home, stop being so ridiculous

15. Yay, let's celebrate freedom by taking it away!

16. It's not ridiculous, I would have every right to tat land as they used my tax dollars for it.

I don't see how you think I wouldn't have the right to my land, as it's been purchased and paid for with my money.

17. Um, because it was stolen from others, just like your example.

18. My example was to point out that the money is taken from me(and other tax payers) so for you to call it the government's "land" is pretty ridiculous. I don't really worry about what happened 300 years ago, if I was going by the notion of who owned the land first and what happened there would be no land for just about anybody.

19. Bullshit. The constitution apllies everywhere

20. And no ball games are different.

Securit guards on private property are not government employees and are allowed.to refuse entry.

Government land is public land because the public is the governenment.

Constitution is law. Welcome to america.

Seriously....