The City of Lakewood will have some additional rules in effect at Lakewood Park on Thursday, July 4, 2013 for the Fourth of July festivities. These rules are being added for the safety and protection of everyone in attendance during the Lakewood Fourth of July celebration.
The following rules will be in effect at Lakewood Park on July 4, 2013:
- All generators, propane and gas fueled grills are prohibited.
- All tents and shelters are prohibited.
- Police will be conducting searches of bags and coolers for reasons of public safety.
- No alcoholic beverages are permitted at any time throughout the year.
- No personal fireworks. This includes novelty fireworks like sparklers.
- No dogs or pets of any kind will be permitted in the park on July 4th.
- The skate park, tennis courts, basketball courts and Kid’s Cove playground will be closed at 7:00 PM.
“There are more people at Lakewood Park for the Fourth of July than at any other time during the year,” stated Mayor Mike Summers. “Safety is our first priority. These added security measures will help to ensure that everyone has a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July.”
"Clearly the most disturbing item is #3, warrantless police searches of bags and coolers. This is absolutely reprehensible behavior, a flagrant violation of the Bill of Rights. This is how people are treated in a police state."
Quoted from Police State USA: Land of the Checkpoints.
These rules, searches, and time limits seem to be encroaching more and more into peoples freedom and rights. This should be met with mass protest where everyone brings a grill, their dog, some bottle rockets, and allows no police to search any of their belongings.