Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tobacco free commercials making me scared

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Chimera Prod, Jun 21, 2013.

1. even a retard wouldn't type that bad.

2.  [​IMG]

3. lol k

4. My grandpa lived to be 97 he smoked unfliterd cigs his whole life and still smoked then to the day he died even when he was on oxygen. Them commercials are made by anti tobacconist who will find the saddest story possible to touch the heart of the viewers. Do you know for sure her cancer was caused by smokeing maybe her family ha a history of it maybe she inhaled smoke in a fire no one knows. It's just a play on human emotion

5. Dude are you really trying to argue that cigarettes don't cause cancer? I hate anti tobacco people too because they infringe on our natural rights but there's no doubt that cigarettes cause cancer.

6. Not saying they don't but how dose one know that her cancer was really caused from her smoking solely and not other ways

My first thoughts here were; "Huh, wonder why he's posting this in a canna forum... must be to help out his fellow tobacco smokers."

Then I realized you thought that cannabis, and the health concerns over tobacco (an entirely different plant), were somehow related! If you think cannabis is more carcinogenic than tobacco, you have some research to do.... it's not even close!

You're aware that cannabis smokers have a lower occurrence rate for lung and respiratory-airway related illnesses... including all cancers tested for, during the largest study of its kind ever performed on lung and respiratory health.... when compared to not only tobacco smokers, but also when compared to 100% NON-smokers. Aren't you? :)

Inhaling burned matter, whatever it is, certainly won't be 'healthier' than inhaling air, or vapor. By nature, the act itself isn't going to be good for you, compared to alternatives that don't include combustion and its byproducts.

But there is a LOT more to it than; "smoking plant matter = same harm across the board". The resins from one plant can be lethal for instance, whether they are burned or not, while another plant's resins can cure, or have simple preventative effects against diseases, even when burned.  :)

To answer your question, it is a little unusual for a tobacco-related cancer to manifest that suddenly, unless she was possibly genetically predisposed, or she was exposed additionally to something much more toxic and harmful during her lifetime. Or, maybe one of her cigarettes contained by accident one hundred times or more of the over 1,400 synthetic chemicals, including synthetic nicotine substitutes, commonly added to most cheap commercial tobacco. The materials inside the cigarettes sold in the shops are far removed from the tobacco (nicotiana) plant, and when man gets involved, mistakes can definitely be made.

The rare occasions that I smoke blunts, I accept that I'm being naughty as far as my health is concerned, so I'll try just to smoke wraps I've grown myself, or I'll unfurl a decent/pricey cigar... although to be honest, I've smoked a packaged blunt wrap or two in the last year though, I'll admit. :eek:

Tobacco aside, if a 13 year old was smoking tobacco, there's also a chance she was inhaling other things that kids sometimes inhale, even though they shouldn't...

Back on topic, here's a past post from a similar thread:

Quote:
         Originally Posted by mambugaw <span>[​IMG]</span>
    When   you go through the Dare program they claim cannabis has 5x the tar as   cigarettes but they only show nasty pictures of cigarette smokers  lungs.  Never any weed smoker.

After I realized this this morning I was like "whoa that would be a great argument against an anti-weed-person."

Discuss.

And my reply....

After spending decades, and millions of dollars trying to find fault  with  cannabis, virtually all they could conclude was that based on  'tars',  cannabis  'should' be 5 times more dangerous than tobacco, due  to their  different  tar loads.

It was the most convenient explanation they could  come up  with.. while neglecting to study actual cannabis smokers.

The thing is, they intentionally neglected to mention that not all tars   are created equal (for instance the tar from combusted drinking-tea   leaves tends to be much healthier than tobacco, gram for gram, while cannabis tar is even healthier and less detrimental than the tar from tea).

And they conveniently left out the fact that cannabis tars tend not to collect and lodge in lung    tissue in the same ways as those in both naturally occurring tobacco,    and especially when compared to the synthetic chemicals added to  common  smoking  tobacco.

Not only are you comparing two COMPLETELY different plants, filled with entirely different chemicals to begin with, but the tobacco sold in gas stations is RIDDLED with over 1,400 man-added chemicals.

It's why they always like to whip out those photos of tobacco-stained lungs.... but very oddly, no one's managed to capture a good 'nasty' photo for cannabis smoke!

It would be a bit hard to believe, that the thought to go out and find one, simply never occurred to them. <span><span>[​IMG]</span></span>

And look at all the gold medal winning Olympic athletes, who are cannabis smokers!

Regular cannabis smokers, not just vapers or edible users, but smokers, tend also to have greater lung capacity and higher lung function   (oxygen  delivered to bloodstream per breath/volume of air inhaled),   than not  only tobacco smokers, but greater than 100% NON-smokers! <span><span>[​IMG]</span></span>

It's one of the reasons the Olympic/WADA deemed it 'performance enhancing'. :)

It does so little damage, that our 'practiced breathing techniques' (ie. hits from the bong!), not to mention the effects of several of the cannabinoids themselves, actually strengthen and improve our lung function over time!

The people with lung trouble tend to smoke joints and blunts.... but even they weren't enough to hurt our scores overall, during lab testing and multiple broad, several-decade-long studies, including one of the largest of its kind, headed by a world-renowned expert on lung health, who once worked FOR the government to expose cannabis harm, but had to change his mind during the course of documenting his findings!

That's right, one of the worlds leading experts in lung health and smoke damage, a man who USED to be one of the top anti-drug researchers, has recently had to change his mind and opinions on the hazards of, not just cannabis use, but cannabis SMOKE!

Why should you take his opinion seriously?

He helped pioneer the 'five times worse' theory, and he believed in it... that is, until he took the initiative to actually study those people who used cannabis, and made some starling discoveries!

Smoking pot doesn't hurt lung capacity, study shows - Vitals

Is Pot Good for Lungs? New Marijuana Study Adds to Health-Effects Debate - The Daily Beast

Marijuana Use Improves Lung Function in Study | Stuff.co.nz

Top Anti-Drug Researcher Changes His Mind, Says Legalize Marijuana | Cannabis Culture

"For 30 years, Donald Tashkin has studied the effects of marijuana on  lung  function.   His work has been funded by the vehemently anti-marijuana   National   Institute on Drug Abuse, which has long sought to demonstrate   that   marijuana causes lung cancer. After 3 decades of anti-drug  research, here's what Tashkin has to say about marijuana laws:
    "Early on, when our research appeared as if there would  be a negative impact on lung    health, I was opposed to legalization  because I thought it would  lead   to increased use and that would lead to  increased health  effects,"   Tashkin says. "But at this point, I'd be in  favor of  legalization. I   wouldn't encourage anybody to smoke any  substances.  But I don't think   it should be stigmatized as an illegal  substance.  Tobacco smoking   causes far more harm. And in terms of an  intoxicant,  alcohol causes far   more harm." [McClatchy]
    We've    been told a thousand times that marijuana destroys your lungs,  that    it's 5 times worse than cigarettes, and on and on. Yet here is  Donald    Tashkin, literally the top expert in the world when it comes to     marijuana and lung health, telling us    it's time to legalize marijuana.  His views are shaped not by ideology,    but rather by the 30 years he  spent studying the issue. He didn't    expect the science to come out in  favor of marijuana, but that's what    happened and he's willing to admit  it.
    Here's the study that really turned things around:
    UCLA's Tashkin studied heavy marijuana smokers to  determine whether the use led to increased risk of lung    cancer and  chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD. He    hypothesized that  there would be a definitive link between cancer and    marijuana smoking,  but the results proved otherwise."What we found    instead was no  association and even a suggestion of some protective    effect," says  Tashkin, whose research was the largest case-control    study ever  conducted.
    Prejudice against marijuana and    smoking in general runs so deep for  many people that it just seems    inconceivable that marijuana could  actually reduce the risk of lung    cancer. But that's what the data shows  and it not only demolishes a    major tenet of popular anti-pot propaganda,  but also points towards a    potentially groundbreaking opportunity to  develop cancer cures  through   marijuana research.
    Over and over again, all the bad things we've been told about     marijuana are revealed to be not only false, but often the precise     opposite of the truth. So the next time someone tells you that marijuana     is worse for your lungs than cigarettes, you might want to mention    that  the world's leading expert on that subject happens to be a    supporter of  legalization."

So statistically speaking you're on the safe side, but to most of us,  logic still dictates that it's never really a great idea to inhale a  whole lot of burning plant matter, especially if you feel something is  wrong. If you're having problems, just cut back and give your lungs a  chance to clear out (and be sure your source for herb is clean)!

Personally I regularly smoke several grams, and more rarely, up to a  half ounce a day around the harvest season/s and during celebrations,  and the only times I've ever found myself having any difficulty (a  little coughing after taking a hit etc.) have been after rolling too  many joints and blunts in a row, while the same amount smoked through a  pipe or a bong leaves me golden. <span><span>[​IMG]</span></span>

Keep in mind that it's certainly not 'unhealthy' for anyone to be using cannabis, just because they don't have a serious medical condition... many scientists and doctors are beginning to hypothesize that cannabis can, and even should be used to supplement,  an already healthy endocannabinoid system, and that even healthy or  adequate bodies may benefit from outside source, similar to how our  bodies can synthesize vitamin D from the sun, as well as by taking it in  from the foods we eat; even if we're 'normal', if we take control over  our levels and intake, we can be healthier for it.

Cannabis is one of the oldest domesticated crops we know of, we've had a  history and relationship with it that consisted of daily, to near-daily  use, right up until a hundred years ago or so.
      (And you never know... there's a chance, that we had that relationship  for a good reason, and that the serious prohibition of cannabis in the  US could have helped play a roll in why, for the first time since we  began keeping track, our average expected lifespan is decreasing  in the US, while many less-regulated countries with poorer health-care  and less food, are still seeing gradual to steady increases.)

"In humans, vitamin D is unique because it can be ingested as  cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) or ergocalciferol (vitamin D2)  and because  the body can also synthesize it (from cholesterol) when sun  exposure  is adequate (hence its nickname, the "sunshine vitamin").

Although vitamin D is commonly called a vitamin, it is not actually an essential dietary vitamin in the strict sense, as it can be synthesized in adequate amounts by all mammals from sunlight."

Using vitamin D as an example is one of the easier ways to describe  the theory to the layman, that supplementing our natural endocannabinoid  system, can be beneficial, in spite of the fact our bodies already  produce and regulate a similar chemical system.

(And again, the above is just a theory. However, with everything we know now, until  they can come up with something concrete that proves cannabis is more  'harmful' to the average human body than: white sugar, the synthetic  materials in our clothing, simple plastic exposure, half the food on the  grocery store shelves, or even the air we breathe.... these are all  things that regularly send people to the hospital in much more  serious condition, than cannabis ever could.... it's a bit unrealistic  to say that it's 'bad' for healthy people, until after we eliminate 90%  of the average population's day to day diet and activities <span><span>[​IMG]</span></span> )

8. Thank you, Kitty!  You saved me a lot of typing! :yay:

More reading about cannabis and cancer!

Cannabis and tobacco smoke are not equally carcinogenic.        (full - 2005) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/?tool=pubmed

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection        (news – 2006)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html

No association between lung cancer and cannabis smoking in large study    (news - 2006)     http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/bulletin/ww_en_db_cannabis_artikel.php?id=219#2

{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer.  
    (abst - 2007)
    http://www.aacrmeetingabstracts.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/2007/1_Annual_Meeting/4749?maxtoshow=&hits=80&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=cannabinoid&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=1760&resourcetype=HWCIT

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows      (news – 2007)
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm

Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial growth factor-induced lung cancer cell migration in vitro as well as its growth and metastasis in vivo.        (abst – 2008)   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17621270?dopt=Abstract

Cannabinoid receptors, CB1 and CB2, as novel targets for inhibition of non-small cell lung cancer growth and metastasis             (full - 2011)   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3025486/?tool=pubmed

Cannabidiol inhibits lung cancer cell invasion and metastasis via intercellular adhesion molecule-1.       (abst – 2011)        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22198381

Marijuana compound could stop aggressive cancer metastasis          (news - 2012)
    http://in.news.yahoo.com/marijuana-compound-could-stop-aggressive-cancer-metastasis-064950912.html

Media Ignored Expert's Shocking Findings That Marijuana Helps Prevent Lung Cancer: Now It's Med-School Material        (news – 2012)                    http://www.alternet.org/drugs/media-ignored-experts-shocking-findings-marijuana-helps-prevent-lung-cancer-now-its-med-school?akid=9578.313040.yDVgGb&rd=1&src=newsletter732160&t=10&paging=off

Study: Smoking Marijuana Not Linked with Lung Damage             (news – 2012)
    http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/10/study-smoking-marijuana-not-linked-with-lung-damage/

Federal Government Reports Marijuana Effective in Combatting Certain Cancers Reports ADSI            (news – 2013)     
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51148243/ns/business-press_releases/t/federal-government-reports-marijuana-effective-combatting-certain-cancers-reports-adsi/#.UZVTrsphX5N

You might even want to send me an email (bottom of my sig) so you can learn the FACTS about cannabis, rather than rehashed DARE myths! I will send you back over 1000 pages of links to educate yourself with!

Granny

9. It's funny how little research it takes to destroy all of the myths about Marijuana. If only people would study more rather than trusting Crack Head Chris down the street.

10. Crack Head Chris really was abducted by aliens though .. he's got the probe in his basement 

11. I don't doubt at all that he was probed by aliens... I'm only skeptical about if it was voluntary and if the aliens doing the probing were actually extra-terrestrial. 

12. idk what thread that was in but mamgugwa went beast mode. i honestly read the whole thing it was so long though but really good read it pulled me in

13. #34 Chimera Prod, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013
    Thanks for the replies! That's really re-assuring to know that weed is not really a cancer causing substance. 
    I also just posted this because I know alot of people who smoke weed have (at some point) smoked tobacco for at few years, maybe in highschool, college, sometime because most people I know who smoked weed smoked cigs. 
    (Although everyone I know now has switched to vaporizing only.)

So I just wanted to see if you guys thought this commercial is bogus because I feel so stupid for smoking cigs like 10 years ago in highschool, I used to smoke these clove cigs that are even worse. I just want to know why this particular girl is so unlucky. If you talk to thousands of smokers, none of them had cancer like this so young. Definitely a good wake up call for anyone who still uses tobacco, but it just makes the rest of us feel paranoid and think about death all the time from our past mistakes. 

14. Yes, people get cancer and shit but its so rare tbh. My grrat grandma smoked from 13 to 87 then stoppes for 3 years and never had any breathing or lung problems. ( i don't smoke cigarettes btw just wraps)

Sent from my 5860E using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. #36 SiicKxShoTz, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
    :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :confused_2: /facepalm

16. i used to laugh my ass off at some of those anti smoking commercials when i smoked cigarettes...

and i still would, but now instead of goofy premises, they give me real people and i feel like a dick if i laugh at them.

but yes, inhaling carcinogens will increase your risk of developing cancer.