America Lost The Civil War.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by yurigadaisukida, Jun 12, 2013.

1. You've done nothing but criticism others and post a wikipedia article.

</blockquote>
    What's wrong with wikepedia? Are you saying their wrong about the civil war?

Care to post counter evidence?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Actually, I would hazard a guess at the fact that I know more about American politics/history/constitution than most Americans.

I don't think that the existence of the America civil war in history serves as evidence of an agenda to take away the 10th amendment.

You haven't given me any evidence yet.

3. Everyone asking for proof, search "civil war"

IM sure there are plenty of cites

Ialready quoted wikepedia

Nothing i said goes against elementary school history books

4. No. It's not black and white. Wikipedia isn't a credible source.

5. #25 Malvolio, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
    The way I see it, Yuri, you've made a large number of bold claims and you can't just cite  the civil war as evidence of them.

If, as you say, slavery would have been abolished eventually anyway, would the southern states have done so willingly, or would the supremacy clause have come into play?

6. This is pretty much the cause of the war in one paragraph

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >Secondly, the South argued that each state had the right to secede-leave the Union-at any time, that the Constitution was a "compact" or agreement among the states. Northerners (including President Buchanan) rejected that notion as opposed to the will of the Founding Fathers who said they were setting up a "perpetual union".
    </blockquote>

7. No. It's not black and white. Wikipedia isn't a credible source.
    </blockquote>I realize that. But its credible enough. Are there really any credible sources?

Can.you provide.me credible.civil war cite and ill.quote it supporting.my.conclusion

8. The forming of the confederacy was illegal under article 1 section 10 (?) of the constitution.

Either way, you haven't backed up a single one of your claims...

I'll start referring back you your OP:

Firstly you say that slavery is wrong, and would have been abolished eventually:

Ether way, there would still be states in the south that were opposed to its abolition. The only way to reach the point of complete abolition would be through federal legislation. Whether this legislation came in the 1860s or the 1950s, there would still be people in the south who oppose it, and states rights would still be violated.

Also, you're yet to prove to anyone that the civil war was nothing more than a power grab by federal government. Are you saying that every part of the build-up to the civil war (missouri comprimise, fugitive slave act, Kansas-Nebraska act etc..) was orchestrated by people in federal government in order to start a Civil War with the purpose of grabbing power? Maybe Lincoln paid Harriet Beecher Stowe to write Uncle Tom's Cabin, just top stir up tensions?

I'd like you to present me with some evidence that the Civil war was not, in fact, a genuine attempt by the union to end the confederacy that it believed to be illegal under the constitution of the united states.

That's not really his job, it's yours. You made a claim, then linked to a wiki page. The wiki page isn't really the problem. It just doesn't support your claims specifically. 

10. Yuri, you should start with the wiki on hyperbole.

11. #31 rhapsodyrcks, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
    Who cares what happened or for what back then. History changes, history is lost all the time. All I know is I do not live under a Confederate System, and I live in the south. The South was decisively crushed and more. 

For your proof scan and post the book cover, ISBN number, sources and foot notes. Wikipedia sucks as a source, most online ones do since any idiot can make a website make bold claims and somehow be accepted as a truth teller. 

When you make a post and people ask then you dismiss those who question you and then fail to provide evidence but require them to prove to you to discount your theory you fall in the realm of a hack, quack, loon what have you. Peer review is what science and history is put through to stand the test of time. Trying to bypass that means that you really have no credible sources or information. 

Usually the one common thread of conspiracy nuts is anything fringe they believe, anything to the contrary they dismiss. Take the nut job who's claim to fame are the books saying the Apollo Moon Missions are false. I saw the idiot on National Geographic. He has no teeth and lives in a trailer park. He has no advanced education. NASA has repeatedly invited him to there facilities to talk to there engineers, there teams about this. In 40 years he never has once. No matter the evidence presented somehow his toothless wisdom trumps everyone elses. One can only conclude that he is a nut job who cant even sell enough books to get some teeth and move out of the trailer. 

Carl Sagan's very memorable quote is "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

He or She is not required to. You are the one as the originator of the idea, post, to do that. 

The Sun is not made of Hydrogen. That statement is up to me to prove to be true its not up to anyone to prove to me that is not. I am the one that claimed it. 

13. OP, I hear what you are saying and according to my History professor buddie, you are kind of right, you are just presenting it all in a terrible way. I believe Tom Woods touches on this topic. Civil war was fought over the South trying to leave the Union. Licoln made the volintary Union a madatory thing. Salvery was an issue but was not the sole reason or even the number one reason. I want to say the books my buddie recommedned I read were "The Tryanny of Licoln" and "Lincoln Unmasked". Not 100% on those titles but I think that is correct.

Regardless what it all was about. The battles and the end result are clear, long gone, and no one alive from that era remains nor anyone alive that knows anyone from that era remains. With that being said its all subjective. Especially considering the methods of historical recording that were present at the time. 

In the future when we can go back in time if its possible we can finally settle everything on any issue. Till then the battle over that issue will rage on. 

15. I'm sure the war was fought for many reasons.  I'm sure the black people fighting in the war sure as hell thought it was over slavery.  But let's bring our attention to the commander in cheif of the union, Lincoln.  He stated himself that the war was not about slavery but about preserving the union.  If the north had abolished slavery, it would have crushed the south, which is one of the reasons why there was so much resistance.  Why didn't the north just offer to pay the south for their slaves instead of starting an expensive and extremely bloody war?

Since the powers delegated to the federal government are only granted by amendments to the constitution, the north was acting out of the law of the land, and therefore the southern states had a right to secede.

16. He or She is not required to. You are the one as the originator of the idea, post, to do that.

The Sun is not made of Hydrogen. That statement is up to me to prove to be true its not up to anyone to prove to me that is not. I am the one that claimed it.
    </blockquote>
    Your the second person to say that and your wrong.

Yes the burden of proof is in me. But if someone tells me my source is not credible, its reasonable to ask them what they consider "credible"

17. We will see what you got and then make the judgement.

18. We will see what you got and then make the judgement.
    </blockquote>
    That's fair. I just don't think asking what someone thinks is credible is unreasonable.

If i quoted fox news someone would say its not credible. If i quoted info wars, the same.

Who is really credible? Its a matter of trust.

I cited wikepedia because its easy. And wikepedia is in fact pretty accurate for the most part.

I could post sources all day and they would be meaningless if the audience kept saying its not credible.

Its catch 22

19. Sorry but anyone who's taken a 100 lvl college course, or even high school should know Wikipedia is not a credible source....any shmuck can alter that stuff and is consisted of people quoting others.

Find a peer reviewed journal or text book....those require validity!

Credible would be a historian or a team of them that has spent a great many years on the subject looking at a variety of sources written most likely since thats how things were conveyed then. It would most likely be per reviewed as well. 

Alot of the news today can be verified simply because its video. I can see a car crash. I can see the Congress passing legislation. I can see the Supreme Court like they did today say DNA is not patentable. Thats history right there. The verification is captured. 

Over a century has passed since those events. Anything the South has to say about it well the South was destroyed just about. Sherman burned half of it down. Atlanta was turned into rubble. Savannah was spared as the Mayor gave him the key to the city. He had heard what happened and fastly surrendered.